Hungary is the birthplace of great composers, hot springs, dances and wine. The one who was lucky enough to visit this amazing country, certainly not once admired the quaint architectural structures and amazing beauty of the natural landscapes of the resort. But even more fortunate to those who met with the national cuisine of Hungary - delicious, satisfying, original.
Famous Hungarian goulash, perkelt, ham with horseradish, sausages and goose liver fried in fat - this is what every gourmet should try! A distinctive feature of Hungarian cuisine is the abundant use of sour cream, pork fat and spices, in particular, paprika. The latter even gave the name to one of the most famous Hungarian dishes - paprikash.
By the way, paprikash is not even a specific dish, as many people think, but a cooking method. So called slices of meat, fish or vegetables with sour cream or cream sauce, generously flavored with paprika. Traditionally, paprikash is made from white meat, but lately, beef, pork or sea fish are being added to the dish more often.
Paprikash: traditional recipe
- Chicken meat - 1 kg
- Tomato juice (thick) - 1 tbsp.
- Sour cream - 250 g
- Bulgarian pepper (large) - 3 pcs.
- Garlic - 5-6 cloves
- Sunflower oil - 3 tbsp. l
- Tomatoes - 4 pcs.
- Flour - 1 tbsp. l
- Paprika - 3 tbsp. l
- Hot pepper - ½ tsp.
- Onions (large) - 2 pcs.
- Wash chicken meat, cut into medium sized pieces. Peel and chop the onion. Remove the stems and seed boxes from the bell peppers, and finely chop them as well.
- Remove tomatoes from the skin, grate the pulp or chop in a blender.
- Pour some oil into thick-bottomed dishes, fry onions until golden brown.
- Put the chicken pieces on the onion, fry a little, then add the Bulgarian pepper and chopped tomatoes.
- Pour in tomato juice, add ground paprika, skipped garlic cloves and spices to taste. Simmer on medium heat for 30 minutes.
- Combine sour cream with flour, mix and send to the pan to the other ingredients. Reduce the heat and simmer another 7-10 minutes. Serve the chicken paprikash hot.
Beef paprikash: cooking features
- Beef - 700 g
- Sunflower oil - 2 tbsp. l
- Bulgarian pepper - 1 pc.
- Sour cream - ½ tbsp. (125g)
- Paprika - 2 tbsp. l
- Onions - 1 pc.
- Wash the meat, cut into small pieces. Peel Bulgarian pepper, cut into cubes. Onion cut into half rings.
- Pour 2 tbsp into deep thick-bottomed dishes. l sunflower oil, fry the meat pieces for 2-3 minutes.
- Put onion there, lightly fry. Add Bulgarian pepper, add 2 tbsp. l wigs, salt and pepper to taste. Stir and fry for another 3-4 minutes.
- Pour in some water so that it covers the meat pieces. Cover the saucepan with a lid, reduce the heat and simmer the paprikash for 40-50 minutes.
- After a specified time, pour sour cream into the saucepan, stir and simmer for another 10 minutes.
Veal paprikash - tender meat dish
- Veal - 1 kg
- Salo fresh-70 g
- Meat broth- ¼ Art.
- Flour - 1 tbsp. l
- Sour cream - 100 g
- Basil, dried sweet pepper - optional
- Paprika (sweet and spicy) - 1.5 tbsp. l
- Onions - 2 pcs.
- Wash meat, cut into small pieces. Onions cut into half rings or quarters. Chop pork fat.
- Drain fat in a skillet, and fry the onion for 15 minutes in the fat that has formed. Add pieces of meat, salt and pepper to taste. Zhartedo as long as the meat changes color.
- When the veal slices turn white, add 1 tbsp. l sweet paprika, dried paprika and, if desired, basil. Stir, cover and simmer for 1 hour, occasionally adding broth.
- Combine sour cream with salt and flour, add to the remaining ingredients. Season the dish 1 tsp. Stir in the paprika, stir and leave on the stove for another 2-3 minutes.
How to cook paprikash pork?
- Pork (pulp) - 700 g
- Flour - 2 tbsp. l
- Ground paprika - 1 tbsp. l
- Onions - 1 pc.
- Tomatoes - 2 pcs.
- Hot pepper (green) - ½ pod
- Garlic - 6 cloves
- Bulgarian pepper - 2 pcs.
- Ground pepper (red and black) - optional
- Tomato paste - 1 tbsp. l
- Wash the pork, cut into slices no larger than 3 cm. Chop the onion finely. Peel and chop the bell peppers.
- Pour some sunflower oil into thick-bottomed dishes, fry pork. When the meat turns white, add the onion and fry it until transparent.
- Put the Bulgarian and hot green pepper, cut into strips. Fry for 5 minutes, then add into the saucepan finely chopped tomatoes without peel and chopped garlic.
- Pour in 500 ml of purified water, season the dish with spices and simmer under the lid closed for at least 30 minutes.
- Combine sour cream with flour, pour into a saucepan, stir and simmer for another 10-15 minutes.
Hungarian Fish Paprikash
- Sudak - 1.2 kg
- Dry red wine - ½ tbsp. (125g)
- Fish broth - 100 ml
- Sour cream - 200 g
- Tomatoes - 4 pcs.
- Garlic - 2 slices
- Bulgarian pepper (green and yellow) - 1 pc.
- Smalets - 2 tbsp. l
- Onions - 3 pcs.
- Lemon - 1 pc.
- Sweet paprika - 1 tsp.
- Spices (marjoram, white ground pepper, cumin, salt, parsley) - to taste
- Whole zodiac wash, peel and undress. Fillet without bones cut into slices 3-4 cm thick, sprinkle with salt and pepper, pour with lemon juice.
- From the head (preliminarily remove the gills), bones and ridge boil broth: pour all 1.2-1.5 l of purified water, put on a small fire, boil for 30 minutes after boiling.
- With tomatoes, remove the skin, chop the flesh coarsely. Pepper clean from the stem and seeds, cut into strips. Onions cut in half and cut into half rings, chop the garlic.
- Pour 2-3 tablespoons into thick-bottomed dishes l sunflower oil, fry onion for 5 minutes. Add pepper, cook for another 5 minutes, then add sweet paprika and garlic.
- Warm up vegetables for 1-2 minutes, then put fish pieces into a saucepan, pour in wine and boil for 3 minutes after boiling.
- Put the tomatoes, pour in 100 ml of fish broth, add salt, white pepper and ground cumin to taste. Simmer under a closed lid on low heat for 5-7 minutes.
- For 1-2 minutes until cooked, put sour cream, parsley and marjoram in the paprikash.
The classic Hungarian chicken paprikash will be the highlight of your table, both everyday and festive. If you are not afraid to experiment, prepare an exquisite paprikash from pike perch or veal. And you can go even further, and replace meat with potatoes - an ideal solution for those who watch the figure, but at the same time likes to eat tasty and satisfying. You can be sure of one thing: whatever recipe you choose, it will not leave anyone indifferent!