Since ancient times, traditional Ossetian pies are known. Such pies are made with a variety of fillings. Previously, only unleavened yeast-free dough was used to make Ossetian pies. In Ossetia, the cake is considered to be of high quality, whose dough is thin, and there are many fillings in it. In this case, the filling in no case should stick out of the pie.
You can try making one of the many variations of the Ossetian pie at home.
Traditions associated with Ossetian pies
- Ossetians traditionally bake their cakes for weddings, various holidays, commemorations. However, many are not averse to enjoy this dish on weekdays. Ossetian pies are usually served on a plate with 3 cakes lying on top of each other. If the celebration is a big one and assumes the presence of a large table, then several plates with pies are served, again 3 cakes on each plate. This tradition is easy to understand. After all, three pies are a symbol of the Holy Trinity: the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit.
- In addition, the Ossetian pies have long been associated with the sun. As it is known, in the pre-Christian time the Sun symbolized God, that is why, with the advent of Christianity, the Sun became the symbol of Christ. However, not all events suggest the presence of three cakes on the table. For example, at the commemoration it is customary to bake an even number of pies. Most often they are baked in two. Among them, there is no cake, which is a symbol of the sun.
- Usually, Ossetian pies have a round shape, and their diameter is 30-35 cm. However, for religious holidays, also triangular pies with cheese filling are baked.
- The wealth of an Ossetian woman as a hostess is determined by the ability to bake pies. That is why each Ossetian should be able to bake them. When cooking Ossetian pies, every detail is important. To make the Ossetian pie right, you need to take into account the fineness of the dough, the quality and taste of the filling, and the evenness of the layout. In addition, the quality of the pie affects the mood of the hostess. They need to be prepared with a pure soul and thoughts, and most importantly, there should not be excesses.
- There are many types of Ossetian pies. At the moment, there are more than 10 types of this dish. The type of cake depends on what kind of filling is used. These pies are baked with Ossetian cheese filling. If the filling consists only of Ossetian cheese, such pies are considered to be prayer.
- In addition to cheese, potatoes, onions, beet leaves, and cabbage can be used as fillings in pies. You can also find pies with meat, animal fat, pumpkin or beans.
- Recently, various types of dough have been used to create cakes. but The classic dough recipe for the Ossetian pie involves only flour, water, yeast and a pinch of salt..
- How to cook a fish pie?
- How to replace the baking powder?
- How many calories in rice noodles?
Ossetian cheese pie: a recipe
- Flour - 7 tbsp.
- Milk - 3 tbsp.
- Yeast - 2 tbsp.
- Sugar - 5 g
- Salt - 3 g
- Ossetian cheese or cheese - 1 kg
- Butter - 3 tbsp.
- To make the cake, use premium grade wheat flour. Take the required amount of flour (for baking the cake will need 6 tablespoons of flour, the rest is used for sprinkling) and sift it. In the center, make a well and place warm milk there. There it is also necessary to pour in yeast, salt and sugar. Knead the dough together with ingredients that will be thick in consistency.
- Cover the dough and place it in a warm place. Leave it for 2 hours. When the dough fits, mix well and leave for another 30-40 minutes.
- Take care of the preparation of the filling. To do this, rub or mash the cheese. If you use low-fat cheese, such as cheese, you can add a little butter.
- Divide the dough into buns and cut each of them in such a way so that you get finger-like cakes. In the center of each of these cakes, you must put the prepared cheese filling. Cheese minced meat should be distributed in such a way that to the edges of the tortilla remains about 3 cm.
- The ends of the cakes need to pick up and pull them to the middle. Fasten all the ends in the middle and connect them.
- Form the cake, leveling its surface by pressing with the palm of your hand. Ossetian pie should be about one and a half centimeters thick.
- Lightly grease the pan or baking sheet. Put the cake on the prepared pan or pan. It is necessary to make a hole in the top of the cake so that the cake does not break when baking. It is necessary to bake the cake in the oven at about 200 degrees for 15 minutes.
- Remove the cake by smearing it with butter. Each pie needs to be cut into 6 triangles. Serve them hot.
- Tasty Cheesecake Recipes
- Strawberry Cake
- How to fill tartlets?
Ossetian pies are the decoration of any table. For their preparation will need some food. Such pies are not only deliciously tasty, but also affordable. Cook them will be easy for any hostess. Ossetian pies should try everyone. Enjoy your meal!