Mozzarella is a young Italian cheese that is valued all over the world. He was born in the Campania region, quickly gaining popularity with many chefs. Classic mozzarella is made from black buffalo milk. Cheese is sold in the form of balls, soaked in brine. This product is used to prepare a variety of dishes. If you do not want to buy mozzarella in the store, the homemade recipe for this type of cheese is perfect for you.
Mozzarella - what is it?
For the first time, mozzarella is mentioned in 1570 in one of the cookbooks. Classic mozzarella is a young and fresh cheese, prepared using a special technology from black buffalo milk. Milk for cheese should be fresh enough (no later than 12 hours after milking and content in special containers). When the raw material is minimized, rennet is added to it, and the resulting mass is heated to 90 degrees.
Cheese mass was kneaded by hand, using a wooden spatula. In order to obtain a homogeneous and plastic mass, small pieces were separated from the mixture and sculpted cheese. Interestingly, many cooks in the preparation of classic mozzarella use ordinary cow's milk (although the taste will differ significantly).
In its form, mozzarella resembles round balls of different sizes - large ("bokkonchini"), small ("cilletini") and very small ("perlini"). You can meet mozzarella and in the form of a pigtail, which is called "track".
The taste of raw and fresh is fresh, but very tender. The consistency is quite elastic. Every mozzarella should have a thin, smooth and shiny skin. The internal structure of the cheese is layered, has a sour taste. When you slice the cheese, a little white liquid will flow out of it (don't be scared - this indicates its freshness). Tasters and chefs consider the most delicious one-day mozzarella, but try it in Russia (if you have not prepared it yourself), alas, it will not work.
Naturalmozzarella can not be stored for a long time, so it is placed in a special brine. This cheese is not like anything, it is rich in protein and calcium, and it will give the dishes a unique taste. Italians especially appreciate mozzarella in pizza, salads, pasta, casseroles and meat dishes.
Mozzarella Cheese: Recipes at Home
Cooking delicate Mozzarella
- Milk - 5 L
- Water - 200 ml
- Citric acid - 2 tsp.
- Rennet extract
- Salt - to taste
- Dissolve in cold boiled water (150 ml) citric acid. In the remaining 50 ml of water, dissolve the rennet enzyme (the necessary amount of the enzyme that needs to be diluted in water will be written in the instructions).
- Pour the milk into a deep pan, gradually pour the lemon solution into the milk, stirring constantly. Put the pot on the fire and heat the milk to 38 degrees (no more).
- Pour the enzyme into the heated milk and mix everything thoroughly.
- Stir the mixture for about 2 to 3 minutes, then turn off the heat under the pan.
- Cover the pan with a lid and wait half an hour. During this time, the milk should curl up to form a clot.
- Remove the ready clot from the pan and shake off excess liquid.
- Heat the liquid remaining in the water to 90 degrees. Part of the whey (about 1 tbsp.), Cast and salt to taste. In this you will keep ready-made mozzarella.
- Lower the cheese into the whey, put on gloves and after 20 seconds, remove the clot back. Stretch and remember the cheese. Then dip it in the serum again, remember and stretch it. Repeat the procedure until the mass becomes homogeneous, viscous and tender.
- Finished mozzarella can be formed into balls and stored in brine in the refrigerator for several days.
- If necessary, cook from it a variety of dishes or serve as a snack.
A simple tasty cheese recipe
- Milk - 2 L
- Kefir - 2 tbsp.
- Vinegar 25-% - 2 tbsp.
- Salt - to taste
- Pour the milk into the pot, put it on the fire and heat it (but do not boil).
- Remove milk from heat, add salt and kefir.
- Stir the mass with a wooden spatula until smooth.
- Add vinegar and leave for half an hour. During this time, the milk should stem. If this does not happen, it means that you didn’t use enough fatty or unnatural milk. In this case, put the pan with the mixture on the fire and bring to a boil (the curd should begin to separate from the whey).
- Take a new saucepan, put a colander on top and make a bed of gauze folded in several layers (you can use a towel).
- Curd curd and let the whey drain completely. Mass well squeeze right in gauze.
- When the whey is completely drained, wrap the cheese in cheesecloth and refrigerate directly from the pan and in a colander.
- In the morning, unfold the mozzarella, transfer to a separate container and cover with serum.
- Put the cheese in the fridge for another day.
What to cook with mozzarella?
- Mozzarella - 150 g
- Cherry tomatoes - 10 pcs.
- Salted salmon - 100 g
- Onions - 1 pc.
- Sour cream - for refueling
- Greens to taste
- Salt - to taste
- Cut the tomatoes into quarters, with small cubes or straws.
- Chop the cheese into arbitrary pieces, finely chop the greens.
- Onion cut into half rings.
- Mix in the salad bowl all the ingredients, salt and season with sour cream.
- Salad turns out easy and unusual to taste.
- Spiral macaroni - 500 g
- Onions -1 pc.
- Red bell pepper - 2 pcs.
- Zucchini - 1 pc.
- Stuffing - 500 g
- Mozzarella - 300 g
- Olive oil - 3 tbsp.
- Oregano and salt to taste
- Vegetable oil or fat
- Boil pasta in salted water until half cooked.
- Peel the vegetables. Dice onions, peppers and zucchini.
- In a frying pan with high sides, heat the olive oil, fry the minced meat, add the vegetables. Add some water, spices and salt. Stew mince with vegetables until cooked.
- Heat the oven to 200 degrees.
- Pasta mix with minced meat and vegetables.
- Grease or grease the baking dish.
- Cut the mozzarella into slices.
- Put the pasta with minced meat in the form, put the cheese on top.
- Bake the dish for 20-30 minutes.
- Serve the casserole as a main dish.
Mozzarella - a traditional Italian cheese that has an incredible taste and fabulous aroma. You can easily make this product at home with a little effort and the necessary ingredients. With mozzarella, you can cook anything from light salads to complex casseroles.