Many housewives are familiar with the situation when, it seems, all the recipes have already been tried, and it is impossible to cook something new, simple and tasty at the same time. And then comes to the aid of an old and proven recipe - meat with potatoes in the oven (meat in French). There are many ways to diversify this simple combination and open unexpected edges of familiar products. Here are some of them.
Meat and Potato - an inseparable duo
Meat with potatoes is one of the most famous culinary combinations in Slavic cuisine. A recipe for "French" - a classic of the genre. However, a dish of meat, potatoes, cheese and mayonnaise has nothing to do with France. There are several legends of this name. One of them says that the prototype of modern meat in French was Veau Orloff - Orlovskaya veal, invented specifically for Catherine II's favorite, Count Orlov, gratin under a cream and cheese sauce. Gratin is any baked dish cooked in an oven until a crust appears.
There is also an assumption that the original meat in French was called "bekeoff" and was a layer of veal, potatoes, onions and carrots, but without mayonnaise and cheese. Russian tradition reworked the recipe to the kind that we know now, highlighting the main ingredients: potatoes, meat and cheese. And in different regions this dish is called differently: "meat according to the recipe of the captain" (in the Far East); "diplomat" (in the Don region); "home-cooked meat" (Volga region); "surprise" (Yaroslavl, Smolensk regions).
No matter how the meat is cooked according to this recipe, it has a number of undeniable advantages (although the Gauls themselves consider such a combination to be a bad taste):
- availability of ingredients (excellent taste is not associated with the addition of exotic products);
- ease of preparation (the dish is cooked in the oven, so it does not need to turn over or stir);
- guaranteed good results (with the right set of products, the main task of a cook is to prevent burning, and this is not so difficult).
In addition to the advantages, this recipe also has a number of useful qualities:
- meat enriches the human body with proteins and microelements;
- oven-baked potatoes retain a maximum of vitamins and minerals;
- the dish is nourishing, and cooking in the oven minimizes the release of carcinogens.
Pots in the oven with meat and potatoes
What could be more delicious than soaked in juices and meat flavors with potatoes in a pot? And to cook this dish is for everyone.
Ingredients (for 4 pots of 0.5 liters):
- 7-8 large potatoes;
- 700-800 g of meat (veal or pork);
- 3 medium onions;
- 60 ml of vegetable oil (corn or olive);
- 10 art. l mayonnaise;
- 500 g of champignons;
- salt, pepper (black);
- We cut onion into half rings, potato straws, mushrooms into 4 parts, and meat into small cubes.
- Pour the butter on the preheated pan, put half the onion.
- When the onion gets a translucent shade, we fall asleep mushrooms, salt and pepper. Fry the mushrooms for 15 minutes, stirring.
- In a separate pan in the oil, fry the meat with onions for about 10 minutes.
- Put the meat in a bowl, and lay out the potatoes for the rest of the oil after frying. Fry it to ruddy.
- At the bottom of the clay pots, pour a couple of tablespoons of water, put the potatoes on top of the meat, salt, pepper, sprinkle mushrooms, put the mayonnaise on top.
- Stew for 1 hour. If you do not close the pots with lids, then a ruddy crust forms on top.
- Serve directly in the pots, decorated with greens on top.
Zucchini stewed with meat and potatoes
No less tasty is the combination of meat with potatoes and other vegetables, such as zucchini, stewed in the oven. It is noteworthy that this recipe does without mayonnaise.
- 500 g pork;
- 80 g of vegetable (olive) oil;
- 250 g of hard cheese;
- 8-9 large potatoes;
- 3-4 large tomatoes;
- 2 zucchini;
- salt pepper;
- Dice meat.
- Fry the pork in butter for 10-15 minutes.
- Salt and pepper meat.
- We cut potatoes and tomatoes in circles.
- Also, cut the zucchini (if the vegetable is young, you can not peel).
- Grate cheese.
- Put a layer of pork on a baking sheet, buttered, then potatoes and zucchini on top.
- Salt and pepper.
- We lay out the tomatoes and fall asleep with cheese.
- Cover the ingredients with foil.
- Fry until soft potatoes.
- Serving on the table with greens.
French meat with potatoes
Many housewives prefer to cook meat in French without pre-frying components. It turns out too tasty, and the meat gives all the juice gravy.
- 800 grams of meat (pork);
- 10 large potatoes;
- 4 medium bulbs;
- 200 g of hard cheese;
- olive oil;
- salt, spices.
- Cut the meat into thin slices, beat off a little on both sides.
- Cut potatoes into slices, onions into rings.
- We rub cheese.
- Put a layer of meat on a greased baking sheet, salt and pepper it.
- Next put the onion rings.
- The next layer is potatoes, which are always slightly salted.
- We smear a thick layer of mayonnaise, sprinkle with cheese.
- We put in the oven warmed to 180 degrees.
- Stew for about 1 hour, checking the softness of the potatoes.
- Before serving, you can decorate with parsley.
Tricks of cooking
The main feature of cooking meat with potatoes is the arrangement of layers. If you want the dish to have a ruddy crust, finish with cheese. If you like, when a lot of gravy, - mayonnaise. But do not forget that this dish is high in calories, therefore:
- choose low-fat cheese;
- prefer light mayonnaise;
- if you want to reduce calorie, use beef (but to make it soft, you have to boil it).
If you put tomatoes, do not forget to salt them.
You can take different reviews gourmet reviews about this pseudo-French recipe. But in any case, meat with potatoes in the oven is a tasty and satisfying dish. And most importantly, they can feed the family at lunch, and guests at the celebration - you just have to choose the most suitable recipe and high-quality ingredients.