If you like to bake cakes yourself, sooner or later this dilemma arises. - how to beautifully decorate a homemade cake. For such a case is perfect cake mastic with your own hands. If you do not use dyes for making mastic, you can get a festive white cake. When added to the mastic dye, you can make the cake solemnity and brightness.
DIY mastic is a great material for decorating homemade cake. You can make different figures from mastic: flowers, toys, animals, people, houses, etc. In general, everything your heart desires.
Types of mastic for cake
There are two types of cake paste:
- Gelatin sugar mastic;
- Sugar mastic with condensed milk.
- If you make mastic from condensed milk, the figures will be soft and natural, and if - on gelatin, the mastic will quickly dry.
How to quickly make a cake mastic?
Mastic cake can be prepared from chewing marshmallow.
- Chewing Marshmallow - 200 g
- Icing sugar to taste
- Water - 2 tbsp.
- Food coloring - 1 pinch
- In a deep bowl, pour the marshmallow and add water. Note that when heated marshmallow will increase by 2 times, therefore, you can cook it in 2 steps.
- Put the plate, covered with a lid, with water and marshmallow in the microwave for 30 seconds (power - 800 W).
- Add the dye to the prepared mass, having previously dissolved it in 1 ml of water.
- Gently add the icing sugar, sifting through a sieve. Constantly stir the mastic with a spoon, and when it will be difficult to interfere with the spoon, start kneading the mastic with your hands.
- The consistency of the mastic should be similar to clay - it should not stick to hands. The main thing in this business is not to overdo it with powdered sugar.
- Roll the balls from the resulting mass, wrap them in plastic wrap and put them in the refrigerator for half an hour. Then sprinkle the mastic with powdered sugar and roll the mastic balls to a thickness of 2 mm.
- Mastic is ready to decorate the homemade cake! If you need to glue the mastic, sprinkle the mastic layers with some water. Keep in mind, mastic can not be laid on whipped cream, sour cream and jelly surface. Best of all, mastic falls on butter creamers or fruit and berry (for example, apricot) confiture.
How to make mastic at home?
The composition of the syrup:
- Sugar - 350 g
- Water - 150 ml
- Citric acid - 2 g
- Soda - 1.5 g
Composition of marshmallows:
- Water - 1 tbsp.
- Gelatin - 25 g
- Sugar - 2 tbsp.
- Salt - 0.25 tsp.
- To make syrup, mix sugar and water in a separate saucepan, put the saucepan on the fire and bring to a boil. Add citric acid, cover the saucepan with the lid and cook the syrup on low heat for 45 minutes.
- After cooking the syrup, cool it and add soda. Stir the syrup periodically and after 15 minutes it will be ready. Invert syrup will be thick and looks like honey.
- Now comes the turn of cooking marshmallows - 0.5 tbsp. water soak gelatin. Leave it to swell.
- In the remaining 0.5 st. water dissolve sugar and add 160 ml of prepared invert syrup. Put the mass on fire. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Simmer for 8 minutes.
- Heat the gelatin and pour into a deep bowl. Gently beat the gelatin with a mixer, gradually pouring in the prepared hot mixture.
- When you pour all the hot mixture into gelatin, increase the speed of the mixer and beat the mixture for about 10 minutes. As a result, you get a thick mixture of white.
- If mastic is needed immediately, pour the icing sugar into the mixture and knead it to the desired state. If mastic is needed later, cover the bottom of the pot with cling film, put the mastic and sprinkle it with powdered sugar. Put the mastic in the fridge, and when it is needed - remove and sculpt everything you want from it!
DIY chocolate mastic for cake
- Dark chocolate - 100 g
- Marshmallow - 90 g
- Cream (30%) - 40 ml
- Butter - 1 tbsp.
- Sugar powder - 2 tbsp.
- Cognac - 2 tbsp.
- Break chocolate into a saucepan and put it in a water bath. The chocolate should melt completely.
- Without removing the pan from the heat, gently pour marshmallows with chocolate. The mass must be constantly stirring with a spoon.
- When half of the marshmallows melt, pour the cream, brandy into the saucepan and add the butter. Stir the mixture constantly until the mass is smooth and thick enough.
- After removing the pan with the mastic from the fire. Constantly stirring mastic with a spoon, add sifted icing sugar.
- When mastic ceases to succumb to kneading with a spoon, “switch” to your hands.
- Pour the icing sugar until the mastic feels like elastic dough. It is remarkable, but mastic does not stick to hands.
- Roll balls of mastic, wrap them in baking paper and refrigerate.
- Mastic is ready! She can decorate any homemade cake, the main thing is to show imagination and imagination.
Mastic for cake from condensed milk
- Sugar powder - 160 g
- Condensed milk - 200 g
- Lemon juice - 2 tsp.
- Cognac - 1 tsp
- Powdered milk - 160 g
- Combine powdered milk and powdered sugar. Put the ingredients in the shape of a slide, gradually pouring in condensed milk.
- Stir the mixture until the mass becomes elastic and uniform. Do not forget to add lemon juice and brandy. Knead the mastic again.
- Wrap the finished paste in plastic wrap and refrigerate until needed.
- Mastic can be a little "revive" with the help of food dyes. Make it simple enough: in the finished mastic, make a small indentation, pour the dye there the desired color and knead the mastic, adding powdered sugar. You will see how the paste on the eyes changes color. Wrap the finished color mastic in foil and put it in the fridge.
Cakes decorated with mastic: photo
How to make jewelry from mastic?
That's the whole secret of making mastic for the cake at home. With the help of mastic, you can decorate any cake in an original way. Enjoy your meal!