Latte - a drink of Italian origin, whose name translates as "milk". In its structure, it resembles a cocktail, because it is assembled from several layers: strong espresso, milk and air foam, which can be supplemented with syrups or chocolate chips. It is noteworthy that the sugar in the original recipe is completely absent, but the drink still turns out very gentle. Can I make latte coffee at home just like in the best Italian coffee houses?
How not to get lost in latte variations?
If we talk directly about the Italian recipe, then the basis is mocha - arabica coffee. But outside of Italy, espresso has become more common, to which hot milk and froth from it are added. Due to the fact that the dairy component is much higher (proportions 1: 2: 1), the strength of the coffee is almost not felt.
- There is an alternative method of preparation, in which the drink is even more delicate, due to the fact that milk comes to the fore: it is a latte macchiato - coffee is introduced into the cooled milk, which allows for very clear layers. For this reason, latte macchiato is often served in tall glass glasses, while classic latte is often served in ordinary large cups.
- It is also necessary to mention Irish latte or latte Irish cream: a latte-based cocktail in which ice cream and Irish non-alcoholic syrup Irish Cream are added. Hot chocolate is also used. The result is 4 distinct layers.
Most often, the latte is confused with the classic coffee, diluted milk, but for the latte, the US is never used, as is done in Europe, and black coffee is also unacceptable. From the cappuccino, it is distinguished not only by a larger volume, but also by a denser and more magnificent foam.
Latte in a coffee machine: professional recipes recommendations
The easiest way to achieve the desired consistency of each layer with a horn type coffee machine, because it has a special device for beating milk into foam.
- Robusta or Arabica - 2 tsp.
- Milk - 150 ml
- Water - 100 ml
- Warm the milk in natural conditions to room temperature and only then proceed to work. Keep in mind that its fat content should not exceed 4%.
- Cook espresso in a coffee machine, following the above proportions - 2 tsp. per 100 ml of water, pour 50 ml into the cup.
- Now you need to re-engage in milk: pour it into a tall glass, pour water into the compartment of the coffee machine, which is responsible for steam, enter the tube into the glass in the center to a depth of 1 cm.
- After the milk turns into foam due to the supply of steam, it will need to be poured onto the hot coffee in the cup. If you want to make a latte macchiato, first move the milk into it, and then pour a thin stream along the wall.
How to make lattes foam without cappuccinator?
- Ground coffee - 3 tsp
- Water - 150 ml
- Milk - 450 ml
- Grated chocolate - 2 tbsp.
- Rinse the Turk with boiling water, pour ground coffee into it, pour boiling water on it, and cook until the foam starts to rise. Remove the Turk from the burner, as soon as the liquid begins to approach the edges, and then put it back on the stove. Repeat this process 2-3 times.
- Heat the milk to a temperature of 50-55 degrees, pour it into the blender jug and beat at a high speed for at least 3 minutes. You can immerse beaters in a container with milk, if there is no stationary blender. Alternatively, the beating process can be carried out in a French press, actively moving the piston vertically. The duration of whipping depends on the device and can reach up to 5-7 minutes. The finished foam should very slowly drain off the inverted spoon.
- Gently pour the milk into the glass, pour the coffee on top, then pour the foam with a spoon and decorate the finished drink with chocolate chips. If desired, you can add amaretto, ice, ice cream.
If you want to surprise home and guests, try to practice in latte art: this is the art of creating various patterns on the surface of the drink, which are saved to the last drop due to the fact that the foam is very strong. However, you can do even easier and sprinkle chocolate or coffee chips through a stencil, or you can use the glaze, which is typed in a coffee spoon.