It is considered that the birthplace of the dish with the unusual name Lamadzho is Armenia. In fact, his recipe originated in Arab countries, and only then, in the distant 7th century, as a result of military incursions, it was brought to the territory of Armenia. However, this dish is so loved by everyone that it has become an integral part of the Armenian national cuisine. If you like original, spicy and unsurpassed dishes, then meet - Lamajo recipe.
What you need to know about cooking Lamajo?
If this is the first time you hear the name of this dish, then you probably have a question: what is it? Lamagio - it's cakes with meat. They are special in that they have a soft structure and juicy filling. The classic Armenian recipe of Lamajo suggests using mutton as a filling, but today many add pork.
In Armenia, Lamadzho is not considered a festive dish, but the process of its preparation is approached with great responsibility. What is the secret of this dish? To make the cakes unforgettable taste, you need to consider the following subtleties of their preparation:
- for dough kneading it is best to take matsoni (fermented milk product), today you can buy it in almost any supermarket;
- filling for lamajo must have a liquid consistency to soak the cake - to do this, add water to the minced meat;
- stuffing must be done independently, in no case should not buy already ready;
- laying out the stuffing on the cakes, make sure that it lay down a thin layer, otherwise the meat can be burnt while cooking;
- Armenian Lamadzho recipe includes a large amount of spices, because the dish should be quite spicy.
Cooking Lamajo: recipe with photos
The recipe of making Armenian lamajo itself is simple; the main thing is to make the dough correctly so that it does not turn out to be too knocked down or, conversely, spread out.
For the test:
- Matsoni or kefir - 200 ml;
- flour - 450-500 g;
- water - 100 ml;
- some salt.
- lamb - 0.5 kg (or 250 g of mutton and pork);
- onions - 1-2 pcs .;
- garlic - 2-3 cloves;
- tomato paste - 2 tbsp. l .;
- herbs spices (you can take cilantro, thyme, basil);
- First knead the dough. When preparing it, we are oriented so that it is of the same consistency as the dumplings.
- We take a bowl and pour in the flour, previously sifted.
- In the middle we make a deepening and pour into it first kefir or matsoni, and then water. Also add salt.
- Now knead the dough: do it in the direction from the center to the edges.
- The finished dough must be wrapped with cling film and placed in a refrigerator for half an hour.
- Cooking stuffing. First of all, skip the meat through a meat grinder.
- Greens, onions, as well as garlic need to grind blender so as to make gruel.
- Mix the resulting gruel with minced meat and add tomato paste.
- The filling should be salted and pepper.
- If the stuffing is too thick, add some water.
- We take out the dough and form a loaf of it.
- Cut the dough into identical pieces.
- Each piece needs to be rolled up to make a ball, and then flatten, sprinkle lightly on top of flour and roll into a flat cake.
- Grease baking sheet with vegetable oil and lay out our cakes.
- From above on the cakes, distribute the stuffing (remember that the layer of filling should be thin).
- In a preheated to 220 degrees oven set a baking tray with lamajo.
- We bake about 8-10 minutes. The readiness of the dish can be determined by the reddened edges of lamajo.
What is the right way to serve lamajo?
It is known that the success of any dish is not only in the preparation, but also in the way of serving it to the table. There are a few simple secrets of Lamajo submission:
- flat cakes are much tastier when they are hot;
- before serving lamajo, sprinkle the tortillas with lemon juice;
- Lamadzho is best washed down with an Armenian tan (fermented milk product) - it softens the spicy taste of the dish.
An interesting way to serve the dish: Lamajo is not divided into portions, and laid out a pile on each other. So, you need to put the first row of stuffing up, and the next layer should be, respectively, the meat down. According to this principle, we spread all the cakes. And from the plate to take Lamadzho need two at a time, so it turns out that the cakes are closed on both sides.
Here we have such an unusual dish. If you try and follow the recipe strictly, then Lamadzho will decorate your holiday table, and the guests and household will be satisfied. Enjoy your meal!