Kutabs came to us from the Azerbaijani national cuisine. Today, many housewives are cooking these cakes, so similar to all your favorite pasties. However, their similarity is only external. Classic are considered kutab with greens and cheese, the recipe of which you will find in our article. We will also reveal the secret of how to make juicy kutab with meat.
Qutab - what is it?
Kutaby is baked unleavened dough with various fillings. They are crescent shaped. They put the filling of a wide variety of ingredients in the kutaba: this is meat, seasonal greens, cheese, pumpkin, and some prefer pomegranate grains.
Cheese can be used any: smoked, cheese and even cottage cheese. It all depends on your preferences. If you decide to cook kutab with meat filling, you can take mutton, pork or beef. An interesting fact is that earlier Kutabs were cooked with camel meat.
Those who adhere to a dietary diet can cook kutab with greens, which are less caloric than meatballs. In general, the number of calories in qutab depends on the filling with which they are cooked.
Kutaby is not only delicious, but also easy to prepare dish, which even novice cooks can cope with. Well, it's time to go to the kitchen and start creating your own culinary masterpiece.
Kutaby with greens and cheese: a recipe with photos
Let's start with the lowest-calorie and simple recipe for making qutab with greens and cheese. The success of this dish is to use a large amount of various greens: dill, parsley, cilantro, spinach, green onions, etc. Cheese is better to take Fetaki, because it is rather juicy and will give the qutab a delicate flavor. If you didn’t have Fetaki on hand, you can always replace it with cheese.
- fresh greens - 400 g;
- Fetaki cheese - 300 g;
- flour - 500 g;
- 3 onions;
- 1 chicken egg;
- vegetable oil;
- filtered or boiled water - 1.5 tbsp .;
- First of all, we need to wash the greens well, dry it and chop it.
- Finely chop the onion and in a small amount of vegetable oil, pass it in the frying pan.
- Once the onion gets a golden hue, add half the greens to the pan and fry for 2-3 minutes.
- Grind the cheese thoroughly with a fork and mix with the second half of the greens.
- Take a test. Sift flour and mix with water, adding a little vegetable oil and salt. Thoroughly knead the dough and leave for 10-15 minutes.
- Now divide the dough into pieces and roll out thin layers from each.
- Cut out from the dough with the help of a small plate the circles of the size we need.
- Put the stuffing on the resulting cakes.
- Now you need to properly connect the edges of the cakes.
- You can begin to fry our cakes. Features cooking Kutabov that they are fried in a hot frying pan without adding oil. It is necessary to fry Kutabs on each side in literally two minutes.
- Hot Kutabs pour melted butter.
How to cook kutab with meat in Azerbaijani?
Now let's fry kutabs with meat, and a recipe with a photo will help us with this. As the basis for the meat filling, we take lamb and some veal so that our qutabs are juicy. Greens and cheese can also be added to meat kutab.
- lamb and veal - 250 g each;
- 3 onions;
- flour - 600 g;
- water - 600 ml;
- a mixture of peppers and salt.
- First of all, we make unleavened dough for qutabs in a way we already know.
- Let's cook the meat stuffing: meat with onions is passed through a meat grinder 2 times - so we get the stuffing of the desired consistency. It should be juicy. In the stuffing you can add greens and an egg.
- Now turn to the formation of Qutab. We divide the dough into pieces, roll out thin layers, cut circles and wrap the stuffing in them.
- Fry in a dry hot pig-iron pan for 2 minutes on each side. You can serve kutab with meat filling with Azerbaijani seasoning soum.
Cooking kutab from lavash
If you do not want or you do not have time to mess with the dough, then you can cook kutab with lavash. They, of course, will differ in appearance from the Azerbaijani Qutab, but they will turn out to be no less tasty.
- pita bread - 3 pcs .;
- smoked cheese - 200 g;
- a mixture of fresh greens;
- cooked smoked ham - 200 g;
- sunflower oil.
- Each pita must be cut into equal rectangles (4-6 pieces are obtained from each).
- Prepare the filling: rub cheese (preferably on a fine grater), wash and dry the greens, and then grind it. Keep greens and cheese in equal proportions.
- Ham cut into small cubes.
- Mix all the ingredients for the filling: cheese, herbs and ham.
- Now we need to wrap our Kutabs. To do this, in the middle of each pita rectangle lay out the filling and wrap in an envelope so that its edges are inside.
- We will fry qutabs of pita bread in vegetable oil (just add it to the pan a little). Fry on each side until the kutabs are browned. Here it is important not to overcook them.
- When the kutabs are ready, lay them on kitchen paper towels to make a glass of vegetable oil.
As you can see, there is nothing difficult in preparing qutab. By the way, in order to make the dish tastier, in Azerbaijan, kutabs with greens are served to the table with yoghurt and garlic, and sprinkled with a special seasoning - sumach. Today we can purchase these products in any supermarket. For roasting qutab, Azeris use saje - the so-called cast-iron pan.
The cuisine of every nation is unique and special. If you want to please your household and guests with an original dish, then cook the qutabs. In Azerbaijan, there is such a tradition - the most expensive and welcome guests are surely greeted with kutabs. Cook with pleasure and bon appetit!