Every good housewife knows that the zucchini in the kitchen is an indispensable and at the same time versatile vegetable. It can be cooked, fried, stewed, made from it like stews and salads, and desserts. In addition, it is also useful. Therefore, I would like this vegetable to remain fresh for a long time after harvesting and not spoil.
It does not prevent to know why it is so important to eat zucchini during the cold season. The fact is that the vegetable pulp contains not only proteins and carbohydrates, but also carotene, ascorbic acid, vitamins of group B, pectins, mineral salts of magnesium, potassium, calcium and iron. In combination with other health products, its use in food is an excellent prevention against colds.
In the zucchini potassium salts in 1.5 times more than in the cabbage. Due to their low fiber content, they are used for dietary nutrition. They are low-calorie: contain about 20 kcal per 100 g. That is why in the fall the housewives who take care of their health and body shape have a question: how to store this vegetable?
How to store zucchini?
First you need to properly select the fruits for storage to prepare them for the "wintering". All of them must be ripe, with a dense, "wooden" crust and seeds. The degree of maturity can be determined by tapping - a deaf sound will be heard.
It is not recommended to wash them. Vegetables are generally not washed after harvesting. This is an extra, time consuming and, moreover, harmful process for the fruits themselves.
How to store zucchini for the winter?
Remember a few rules. They will definitely be useful to you if you are going to save zucchini for the winter.
- Do not cut off the entire stalk. Otherwise, the vegetable will begin to deteriorate.
- Before storing, zucchini can be dried in the sun, but not for very long.
- Soft varieties of zucchini better cook immediately. They spoil faster than hard fruits with thick and dense skin.
- Fruits need to create all the conditions, including to ensure the optimum temperature in a suitable room.
Where should store zucchini?
Some gardeners believe that zucchini should be stored in a cool place. They are mistaken. These vegetables, like all melons, love heat. So the optimal temperature for long-term storage of zucchini is 18-20 degrees.
How to store zucchini in the apartment?
- You should know that not every place is suitable for storing zucchini in an apartment. It should be dark. And since the zucchini should be laid so that they do not touch each other, you can store them in boxes with cardboard partitions in the far corners of the room.
- Do not make zucchini on the balcony in winter. They simply freeze. Better put them near the battery.
- For a short storage zucchini (about 2 weeks) suitable low temperature - about 5 degrees. Typically, this temperature is set in the compartment for storing vegetables in the refrigerator.
- If you want to save the cut zucchini, then first you need to put it in a plastic bag. But it will remain fresh only 2-3 days.
How to store zucchini in the cellar?
Do not forget about the level of humidity in the room. It should not exceed 60 percent. Therefore, storage in the cellar is not the best option. But it happens that leaving the vegetables at home is not possible. In this case, of course, the cellar should become a storage place.
Leaving zucchini in a cool and rather damp room of the cellar, do not forget that they can deteriorate under the influence of humid air and low temperature. Wrap them with a "fur coat" - a warm old rug, for example.
You can put vegetables in the box with sawdust. Sawdust will retain moisture and will not allow the fruit to freeze. But do not stack the vegetables on top of each other. They should lie in a box at a sufficient distance from each other. It is better to pour more sawdust into it.
How to store zucchini in winter?
There are ways to store zucchini not as complicated and dubious as the previous ones. For example, the fruit can be frozen. To do this, they need to wash and cut into slices, then blanch and dip in ice water. After that, fold the zucchini into a colander and put it in bags in the freezer.
In this form, vegetables are stored for up to a year. Therefore, this method is one of the most reliable. And do not be embarrassed by the fact that the fruit before freezing should be treated with boiling water. So do some other products: for example, with mushrooms.
Another, no less reliable way - preservation. The most popular recipe in this case is caviar.
Winter salads can be made with zucchini. And you can deal with them very very unusual, to make jam. To do this, peeled from the skins and seeds of fruit must be passed through a meat grinder, the resulting mass mixed with sugar and leave overnight. The next day, you need to shift it to the pan, add lemon juice and ginger. All this is cooked over low heat until the jam is thick and transparent. Then the jam is laid out on the banks and closed as usual jam.
Leave the vegetables fresh, freeze or canned - you choose. By the way, during long-term storage their flesh gets a golden hue. But this does not affect the taste of zucchini. If by March you still have not fully used fruits, then cut them and freeze them. Otherwise, zucchini seeds can germinate, and vegetables will become bitter.