Summer gives us a harvest of new healthy vegetables and fruits. Of many of them we make preparations for the winter. Some of them need to be kept unchanged all winter.
Such cultivated garden plants include garlic. Of course, you can pickle it and add it to various preservatives, salads, etc. But to keep it unchanged in winter is simply necessary:garlic is an effective fighter against colds, viral diseases. It perfectly strengthens our health.
Winter garlic storage methods
There is no one way to store garlic in the winter. They have been called since ancient times warm and cold garlic storage methods. Consider each of them in detail.
A warm way to store garlic in the winter
This method is characterized by a temperature in the room where garlic is stored, not less than 15 ° C. The optimum temperature in the room should be 18 ° C -20 ° C.
With this method of storage, garlic quickly consumes its spare substances, because it breathes intensively in a warm room. Its nutrients go to the process of breathing. The weight of garlic is reduced. Garlic dries.
This method is not very effective. but with a warm garlic storage method, the product retains all its beneficial substances and properties.There is a small reservation - can be stored in this waygarlicspring crops only. For winter crops of garlic, it is better not to use a warm storage method.
Cold storage of garlic in winter
Two factors are important here: the room temperature and the air humidity in it. Therefore, the best place for cold storage of garlic is a refrigerator. The required air humidity in this method is from 70% to 80%. The temperature should be approximately 2 ° C -3 ° C , relatively constant, do not fluctuate.
Garlic in the refrigerator is better to put in cardboard boxes. So it will remain unchanged, fresh and fully retain its mass until the next season.-
This method is best for garlic. He has almost no flaws. However, before you put the garlic in the refrigerator, carefully sort it out. After all, if even a bad head gets into the box, all the garlic will rot.
Recommendations for the storage of garlic in the winter
Whatever storage method you choose, you need to know the following:
- Immediately after harvesting the garlic, gently burn the roots slightly.
- stems better not cut, and weave into braids. Three or more heads of garlic will be in your bundle. These bundles were made by our great-great-grandmothers.
- garlic must be cleaned of lumps of earth and dry well.
- to dry garlic, hang it in the sun, in a windy place.
- do not wash the garlic, after drying, just shake the heads of garlic from the dry ground.
- Eat, first of all, shooter garlic (winter). After all, only spring garlic can survive well until the new harvest.
Other ways to store garlic in winter
- Grandmothers and their parents stored garlic in linen bags. For this, it was first dried well. Then folded in canvas bags. These bags were placed in large plastic bags or bags. Linen bags tightly tied, and plastic left open. In this way, garlic was stored in the winter under normal room temperature conditions.
- Another method was also invented a long time ago: a head of garlic was dipped in a melted candle (paraffin) and put in jars. Paraffin hardened and perfectly preserved garlic.
it main storage methods for fresh harvested garlic. After all, in the winter, you want to clean the garlic and add it to a salad or other dish, or simply eat a clove or two with black bread. For health benefits of garlic, read the article Medicinal properties of garlic.
Keep the garlic freshly harvested and do it correctly without loss, considering the recommendations of this article.
See also: How to store cabbage?