White cabbage is always a welcome guest on the table in every home. It is a storehouse of nutrients: vitamins, carbohydrates, proteins, minerals, fiber. Steamed, boiled and fried vegetables are also very helpful. They retain all the valuable properties, but only if you know how to stew correctly, in particular, cabbage.
Steamed vegetables belong to the diet category of products. They are low in calories, and the B vitamins contained in them2 contribute to the normalization of energy metabolism in the body and have a beneficial effect on the skin. But in order to get the real benefits of cooked dishes and enjoy the taste, you should know how to stew cabbage and other vegetables.
Cabbage in this form is recommended to use for older people. It is rich in antioxidants, which eliminate the risk of atherosclerosis and slow its development. The cabbage has a positive effect on the state of immunity. Therefore, vegetables cooked using the stewing method should be consumed at least once a week.
Braised Cabbage with Meat
If you like to cook not only healthy, but also tasty, you should definitely know how to stew cabbage with meat in order to get a very tasty, hearty dish with a mass of useful substances. This recipe will introduce you to the basic rules of cooking.
- 0.5 kg of pork or chicken;
- 1 kg of white cabbage;
- 2 large carrots;
- 1 large onion head;
- 50 g of tomato paste (can be replaced with ordinary ketchup or tomato juice);
- 100 ml of vegetable oil;
- salt, spices to taste.
- Prepare the vegetables. Cabbage, remove the upper hard leaves. Head out well, cut into quarters and remove the stalk.
- If for a dish you use late-grade cabbage, then take some time and chop it as thin as possible. The less time a vegetable is subjected to heat treatment, the more useful properties it retains. Early or young varieties of cabbage can be shred large. Do not use salad varieties for stewing (and frying too): they become too soft and tasteless.
- To extinguish cabbage, it is most convenient to use a skillet with high sides. If there is none, replace it with a cauldron or a thick-walled enameled pan.
- In hot oil, fry finely chopped onions. Flame burners make weak, stir occasionally. Onions will be cooked when it becomes translucent.
- Once the onion has reached the desired state, add carrots to it. Stir vegetables and fry for another 5 minutes.
- Put the meat to the vegetables and fry for another 3 minutes, reduce the heat to medium.
- Turn down the heat of the hob to the minimum, cover the bowl with the ingredients with a lid and cook for 20 minutes.
- For more flavor, fry the shredded cabbage until golden brown separately from the rest of the ingredients, and then add it to the meat, onions and carrots.
- Put the tomato paste (or its alternative) and mix all the ingredients well. Salt and pepper at your discretion. Over low heat, sweat the contents of the vessel for another 10 minutes.
If desired, you can improvise - replace the meat with ham or mushrooms, smoked meats. It will turn out not less tasty and nourishing.
The easiest and fastest recipe
Novice housewives learn from this recipe how to stew cabbage correctly, quickly, tasty and profitably.
- 1 kg of white cabbage;
- 2 pcs. medium onions;
- 2 tbsp. l tomato paste;
- 1 tbsp. l vinegar (9%, can be replaced by a more neutral apple);
- 1 tbsp. l Sahara;
- 1 tbsp. l flour;
- ½ tbsp. beef broth or water;
- salt, spices, bay leaf to taste.
- Cut the onions as small as possible.
- Heat the butter and fry the onions until it turns a light golden color.
- Add onions to cabbage, ½ tbsp. broth, wait until it boils, reduce heat to medium, cover the dishes with a lid and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Mix tomato paste with flour, vinegar, sugar, salt and pepper. Add the sauce to the vegetables, stir and simmer for 10 minutes over medium heat.
Cabbage cooked according to this recipe is good both as a separate dish and in combination with mashed potatoes or macaroni. She will become an excellent duet with any meat or fish.
Vegetable Garnish with Potatoes
If you want to make a hearty and tasty side dish out of vegetables, add potatoes. How to stew cabbage with potatoes to make a delicate and fragrant dish?
- 500 g cabbage;
- 2 medium carrots;
- 1 large onion;
- 3 medium potatoes;
- 1 tbsp. l tomato paste;
- ½ tbsp. water or broth;
- 3 tbsp. l vegetable oil;
- salt, spices to taste.
- Prepare the vegetables. Try to cut them finely. Chop the cabbage (late, long-stored varieties chop as small as possible).
- Cook the onions and carrots in hot vegetable oil.
- Add the cabbage, cover and simmer on medium heat for 15 minutes.
- Next, add potatoes, spices and salt to vegetables.
- Pour broth or water. Simmer on medium heat until potatoes are tender.
- When the potatoes are cooked, add the tomato paste and salt. Stir all ingredients thoroughly, then quench for another 5 minutes.
- Turn off the heat and let the cooked dish stand under the lid for another 10 minutes. So it will get an even richer taste.
Braised cabbage with potatoes is an excellent independent vegetarian dish, as well as a good and nourishing side dish for meat or fish.
Braised cabbage is very useful in the autumn and spring, when the body needs a lot of vitamins and minerals. If you follow the figure and do not mind to improve metabolism, be sure to include in the diet dishes from vegetables, prepared in this way. Low-calorie, nutritious and tasty, it will suit you and your body for the soul.