The goose is a difficult bird, which has long been present at all the festive tables of wealthy people and has always demanded a special approach. Cooked it for a long time, for several days. Most often, the meat was supplemented with fruits and berries, which beautifully set off its taste and improved the absorption of the fatty product.
How to bake the goose in the oven entirely and in portions? How to choose the right bird and avoid mistakes in working with it?
Features of the choice of good goose meat
The pledge of delicious food - high quality fresh products. That is why one should not underestimate the choice of the bird. This also applies to the general appearance (smell, color), and even sizes, especially if you intend to bake the whole goose in the oven. What to look for in the first place?
- First, choose a not too large carcass: the optimal weight professionals call 3-4 kg or slightly less. This is enough to feed the whole family and guests, even leave for a few more days. A larger bird can not be placed in every household oven, and it will be baked for a very long time.
- Secondly, try to take the youngest goose as possible - its meat is more tender. Need to navigate not on the assurances of the seller, and based on the state of the paws of the bird. If the membrane is dry and very hard, skin with distinct scales, then the goose is old. In addition, the young individual has a small amount of fluff, the spur almost does not protrude, and the skin can give off yellowness.
- Thirdly, pay attention to the “constitution” of the bird: ideally, the bellyiest part is where there is a yellowish layer, and the breast is the most satisfying due to the large amount of meat. Soft chest bone indicates a "young" age of the bird, and the harder it is, the older the goose.
- If you are studying fresh goose, in the neck zone the meat must be mobile: this indicates that the bird has not been subjected to repeated freezing. Also inspect the beak: glossy and dry speaks of freshness. Frozen birds should have clear ice; if it is pink, it is better to refuse to buy. Such a goose froze several times, while, most likely, managed to spoil.
Professionals advise to go after the bird to the market, where it is much easier to determine its real state, not distorted by properly tuned light and other means of attracting a buyer. In addition, often only there you can find a non-frozen carcass. And, of course, smell it: the smell will be present, and quite obvious, but there is no sourness or characteristic rotten features in it.
How to bake the goose in the oven: tips
So, the carcass is chosen, delivered home, and now comes the most difficult moment for those who work with this bird for the first time - often the hostesses do not know how to approach the goose. Working with him is somewhat more difficult than with chicken or even turkey, and mainly because of the size.
- If you have not tried to cook a bird in your oven before, and especially did not touch the goose, for a trial attempt it is recommended to bake it in a cut form: breast, thighs, etc. separately. You need to choose the right temperature, the level of the pan and the cooking time, because it will depend on them how well the meat is baked from the inside.
- In order to carve a bird, a very sharp and durable knife should be taken: the bones of the goose are firm and dense, some of them have to be practically cut, therefore a tool with large teeth is recommended. This is especially true for frozen carcass. Or you can use a kitchen hatchet.
- Due to its size, the whole goose is preparing for a long time and difficult. To increase the chances of success, professionals advise to first bake the bird separately from the rest of the ingredients, wrapping it in foil and placing it on the baking tray with the breast down. You can additionally pour it with water (about 100 ml per 3 kg). But the most important thing here is to make sure that the edges of the foil are wrapped tightly, and moisture that will accumulate inside will not come out. In this way, you can bake the goose in whole or in pieces.
- Even if you decide to fry the whole goose in the oven, you need to make deep cuts on the carcass - you can insert into them pieces of vegetables or fruits that will be baked with the bird. This, again, is done to better bring the middle to readiness, as well as for greater juiciness of meat. It is recommended to make cuts in the zone of large bones and between the ribs, moving across the fibers. Or you can pierce the breast and points at the hips.
- An important point, not related to the method of cooking, is to defrost the bird. This should be done without heat exposure, so the carcass is left in the refrigerator for 28-30 hours. If it is brought into the room, it will have to be placed in cold water, which will need to be changed every 4-6 hours.
- As for gutting and cleaning, they are required even for a poultry store, and not just for the one that was bought on the market. Even if no feathers are left, it is worth walking along the skin for prophylaxis, after which you should pay attention to the internal fat: it must be removed from the cervical area, as well as from the lower abdomen, and, in addition, the tail is cut off. Do not worry, this move will not affect the succulence of meat. Wings are also desirable to remove, because they have almost no meat, but they burn in the very first place, which greatly spoil the appearance of the dish.
Those who prepare the goose in portions will need to separate the meat from the bones before serving. The whole bird is usually served on a large dish, overlaid with vegetables or fruits (or berries), but then it is divided into portioned pieces using a very long large knife, guided by the same principle as for any other birds: the thighs and wings are cut first, behind them cut up the breast.
How to cook whole goose: recipe in the oven with oranges
If you look at the old recipes that came from the kitchen of ancient Russia, where the goose was a mandatory attribute of the festive (most often wedding) table, you will notice that the hostess had been busy with the bird for several days. Even today, professionals advise to buy a carcass 4-5 days before the desired date, so as not to cook in a hurry. Ideally, the meat should be rubbed with spices and left for 2-3 days in the cold, so that it is completely saturated with their taste and aroma. The same can be done with the selected marinade.
- Young goose - 2-2.5 kg
- Apple Cider Vinegar - for marinade
- Salt - to taste
- Cowberry Sauce - 200 ml
- Oranges large - 3 pcs.
- If you have a goose from the market, most likely it is rustic, so its preparation will be special: boil water in a large saucepan, dip the carcass in it, first neck down, then feet. With each lowering goose need to hold in boiling water for 10-15 minutes. After that, the bird is transferred to the bowl, where boiled warm water is poured and apple cider vinegar is added (1 tbsp per 1 l of water). Leave it for 1.5-2 hours to soften the meat. If there is a possibility, it is worth extending this period to 12 hours.
- Put the pickled bird on the grill, back down, place a deep baking sheet into which to pour water: beneath it: layer thickness is 2-2.5 cm. Bake for 30 minutes. at a temperature of 170 degrees, while the goose should be put in an already preheated oven.
- After the specified time, turn the carcass on the grill and pour water from the pan: it will drain the fat to be drained to this point. After 15-20 minutes the watering procedure must be repeated, and after another 20 minutes. - turn the goose over again and pour water over the fat again. In total, such coups must be carried out within 2 hours.
- Squeeze juice from 1 orange, combine with cranberry sauce, then coat with this mixture the goose, leaving it on the wire rack. Inside, put the pulp of orange, from which pressed juice. Cut the rest into slices that need to be divided into quarters or halves and spread out side by side on the grid. Bake for 25-30 minutes. at a temperature of 180 degrees.
The bird’s readiness is checked with a wooden or metal stick, with which a puncture is made at an arbitrary point: if a clear liquid flows, it means that the goose can be removed from the oven and brought to the table.
Stuffed Christmas goose in the oven in the sleeve
For most, this bird is associated only with the holiday table, most often with the New Year or Christmas. When the phrase "goose with apples" immediately appears fluffy Christmas tree somewhere in the background, and be sure to gingerbread in a basket next to the main course. But, despite such a strong associative series, few people actually tried to cook the right Christmas goose.
- Young goose - 3 kg
- Small green apples - 6-7 pcs.
- Prunes - 120 g
- Potatoes - 3-4 pcs.
- Liquid honey - 1 tbsp.
- A mixture of ground peppers - 1 tsp.
- Lemon - 1 pc.
- Marjoram - 1/2 tsp.
- Thyme - 1/2 tsp
- Sage - 1/2 tsp
- Salt - to taste
- Combine honey, lemon juice and all the herbs in the list in a small bowl, let the mixture stand. At this time, rinse the bird under running water, dry it, gut it, and cut off excess fat. Rub the inside and outside with salt, leave for 30-35 minutes. Professionals advise putting the goose right into the baking sleeve right away, thereby preventing it from bristling.
- Wash the potatoes, remove the skin, cut into small cubes (as for soup). Wash the apples well, but do not cut the skin off. Crush 2-3 pcs. in the same cubes as the potatoes, with the rest with a cylindrical knife, remove the core.
- Fill the bird with potato and apple filling so that 1/3 of the internal volume (or slightly more) remains free. Smear the goose with honey-lemon mixture from the outside, sew up the incision through which the bird was stuffed with a strong thread, and tie the legs together. Put the goose in the baking sleeve, put it in a deep pan.
- Bake at 160 degrees for 1.5 hours. At this time, steam the prunes with boiling water. When the goose comes to half-ready, remove it from the sleeve, put it on the same baking sheet, distribute the apples without a core, fill them with finely chopped prunes. Bake at a temperature of 180 degrees for another 45-60 minutes.
The finished goose is served in the same form in which it was baked: determining the center of the dish, placing stuffed apples around. Between them you can decompose the sprigs of parsley or dill, or sour fruits.
In conclusion, it is worth noting that each oven requires an individual approach, but most often the goose is baked at an average level, including all its sides. It is undesirable to expose temperature above 160 degrees, and for ovens with additional convection - 150 degrees. This mode will allow hot air to get to the very center of the carcass, without scorching the skin in a few hours of roasting.