Beetroot is a healthy vegetable, tasty and bright ingredient of salads. But the majority of housewives are still biased against this root, only because its preparation takes too much time. On average, beets have to boil for 2-3 hours, and at the same time it is necessary that it retains all its properties and color.
If you know the secrets of how to quickly cook beets in a saucepan and properly, then you can easily enrich your diet with amazingly tasty, wholesome and cute dishes. After all, cooking vegetables takes very little time. But each housewife will be able to include in her collection of recipes original salads from the root with ingredients such as, for example, quail eggs, cream cheese, prunes, walnuts, etc.
Why is the pot better?
Experienced cooks still boil beet root vegetables only in a saucepan. Cooked in this way, it turns out the most delicious, soft, bright and retains the maximum of nutrients. The disadvantage of this method is only one - too long the heat treatment time. But there are several secrets that will help reduce the cooking time by 2-3 times.
The classic method of boiling
For cooking, pick up the roots of approximately the same size, and the dishes - such that the water poured into it covers the vegetables completely.
- Usually, the root crop is laid in cold water, at maximum heat it is brought to a boil, the fire is reduced to medium, the pan is covered with a lid and cooked for 2-3 hours.
- If you do not know how much to accurately cook the beets in the pan, be guided by the size of the roots: medium - 2 hours, large - about 3 hours.
How to speed up the process of cooking beets?
There is a way to cook the roots for 1.5 hours. To do this, lay the vegetables in a pan with boiling water. The fire in the cooking process is not reduced, do not cover the dishes with a lid. And when boiling water it is added, but only cold. Some housewives add ice to the pan. By such simple manipulations, the cooking time of root crops is reduced by almost 2 times.
Another way is to use contrasting temperatures. It will not be possible to put the pan on the stove, measure the time and forget about the boiled product for a long time. But on the other hand, it can be brought to condition in just 40-50 minutes. By the way, professional chefs of elite restaurants who know a lot about tasty and healthy dishes still use this method.
- Soaped root vegetables fold into a saucepan and cover with water so that its level is 5-7 cm above the vegetables.
- Set the maximum fire to high and cook the beets for 20 minutes, without covering the dishes with a lid.
- As soon as the allotted time is out, drain the hot water and pour in a new portion of liquid. It should be icy. Soak vegetables 10-15 minutes to cool.
- If the water from hot vegetables heats up quickly, drain it and add a new portion of cold liquid.
- You can make it easier: put the pot in the sink under a stream of cold water and leave for the same time.
In order for your beets to cook quickly, but at the same time retain their bright color and taste, consider the following nuances when preparing it:
- never add salt to the water in which the vegetable is boiled. This does not shorten the cooking time, but it makes the roots hard. For savory taste, you can add cumin seeds at the rate of 1 tsp. 3 liters of water;
- to preserve the color of the washed vegetables it is not necessary to trim the tails, roots, peel the skin;
- in order for the root crop to be softer and easier to clean, table vinegar is added to the water during cooking at the rate of 1 tsp. on 1 l of liquid.
Knowing how to quickly cook the beets in the pan, you do not need to use a pressure cooker, a slow cooker or other "tricky" methods of cooking such root vegetables. Thanks to this, you can more easily cook all the new and new interesting dishes that will be tasty, healthy and beautiful.