From early spring to late autumn, the bright green of dill, which adorns the shelves of markets and shops, never ceases to please the eye. But, as is the case with most fruits and vegetables, its nutrients are not absorbed by the body for the future. Feel the summer aroma of greenery in winter, you can get the necessary vitamins, knowingvarious ways of harvesting dill.
How to keep dill?
- You can save spicy greens in several ways, among which the main ones are drying, salting, freezing and pickling. If you do not wash or wet fresh dill, you can keep it in the refrigerator for 2 weeks by placing it in a dry glass jar and tightly closing it with a plastic lid.
- For long-term storage of young dill should be thoroughly washed.. Then let it dry, put on a napkin, and then skip through a meat grinder. Salt the resulting mass, spread on previously sterilized banks and roll up. It is best to store the finished product in the refrigerator. Harvested in such a way greens, will be an ideal additive for soups.
- In order to pickle dill, It must be put in water for 10 minutes. Then take out and dry with a towel. Sterilize the banks with a volume of 1 l, put the greens there, add 1 tbsp. l 5% of vinegar, salt and pour boiled water, then roll up. As soon as they cool down, clean in a cool place.
How to pickle dill?
- Despite the seeming simplicity of cooking, pickle dill too can be in several ways. For the first, you need 100 g of salt and 0.5 kg of fresh raw materials. Before you begin to salting, the greens need to sort out, remove the damaged parts, thoroughly rinse under cold water. Then tie the selected dill into bunches and hang out on the balcony or under the shed if you live in a private house. As soon as it dries and all moisture evaporates, the herbs should be cut. Then mix with salt until juice appears. After that, tamp in clean glass jars and let stand. As soon as the container is filled, it should be rolled up or closed with a lid and put away in a cold place.
- You can add salt to dill by adding hot peppers or sweet peppers. This will give the green a juicy touch. To do this, you need 100 grams of salt, 0.5 kg of dill, 1.5 pods of sweet pepper and 0.5 pods of bitter. Raw materials need to sort, wash well, dry and chop. Then add the finely chopped pepper pods, freeing them beforehand from the seeds. The resulting mass is thoroughly mixed, put in clean jars and close the plastic lid. Store in a cool place or in the refrigerator.
How to dry dill?
Dry fresh greens can be sliced and as a whole. To do this, hang it and place it in a room that is well ventilated. To maintain a rich emerald green color, avoid drying in direct sunlight. Keep dried dill under a well-closed lid in a glass jar in a dark, dry room..
For proper preparation, wash the dill under water, then dry with napkins. Choose an isolated place with excellent ventilation where a good supply of dry air is provided. Cover a table or a straight board with a clean piece of cloth or tablecloth. Then sprinkle dill on it evenly. For quicker drying, it is advisable to turn the greens as often as possible. This will ensure a uniform drying process.
If you need to dry the seeds of dill, use an ordinary tray. Sprinkle them in a thin layer and put in a dry, warm place. Once the seeds are ready, pour them into porcelain or glass jars, then tightly close the lid. This will keep the delicate flavor of the spice. The warm and humid air of the kitchen is detrimental to dried greenery, so put it in a dark, dry place. Remember, each type of greens should be kept separate from each other, so as not to mix their flavor and taste. Dill can be dried in another way. To do this, wash it, then finely chop and scatter on a dry surface with a thin layer. After 2 days, when it dries, put in glass jars or linen bag. Stored such a dill half a year.
How to freeze dill?
A great way to prepare fennel for the winter will be freezing. It is necessary to rinse the twigs, then lay on a clean towel. Letting them dry a little, chop finely. Then sprinkle a thin layer into a thin bag and roll it into a tight roll, releasing the air. Now a bag of greens can be put in the freezer. Also finely chopped dill can be put in a small container and put it in the freezer. It is very convenient to use such a blank, just take it out of the freezer and, slightly turning off the edge of the roll, add the right amount to the dish. And the rest of the clean back.
In addition, fresh dill can be washed under cold water, dried with a towel, finely chopped and put into small packets. After that, lay them on top of each other and put in the freezer. Frozen dill, without losing its taste and useful qualities, can be stored in this form for a year.
To stay always healthy, it is important to carefully select the foods that are included in your diet. An excellent way to strengthen your body in the winter will be using dill in cooking, which has many beneficial properties. To be able to take advantage of this gift of nature, you need to take care of its preparation in advance. Choose the method that suits you best and enjoy vitamin greens all year round.