Dumplings - a universal dish of Slavic cuisine. It is difficult to even say in what century this delicious dish was born. In tsarist times, dumplings were served with cranberries, fish and mushrooms, and nowadays they choose more traditional fillers. Today we will tell how to make dough for dumplings with different fillings for every taste.
Secrets of tender and fluffy dough for dumplings
Traditional dumplings are cooked in every country of the former Soviet Union. In Russia, Belarus and Ukraine, the recipe for this dish is already considered national. And what kind of fillings will not come up with the hostess: this is cottage cheese, cherries, potatoes, mushrooms and even carrots.
Of course, every culinary specialist has his own methods and secrets of preparing dough for dumplings:
- It is believed that with the dumplings with a sweet filling, the curd dough will be best in harmony. And the dish itself will turn out very gentle, if you boil the dumplings are not in water, but steamed.
- To prevent the dumplings from sticking together, they are sprinkled with flour and put on a wooden board at some distance from each other. And so that during cooking they do not stick to each other, the board with dumplings is placed in the freezer for a few minutes and put them in boiling water individually.
- Dumplings with potatoes are very tasty, if you add fried finely chopped onion and sour cream with greens as an additive or sauce to them.
- Experienced cooks advise to give about half an hour to the test for rest. To do this, pre-cover the bowl with a towel or wrap the dough in cling film so that it does not become cloudy.
Spread dumplings in boiling lightly salted water. And if you wish to cook this dish in a multi-cooker, then place them at some distance from each other.
Traditional Choux Recipe
Surely the most traditional and beloved of many varieties of dumplings are those that are stuffed with boiled potatoes. Making the dough for dumplings with potatoes is best choux in fresh milk.
- 1.5 Art. milk;
- 2 tbsp. l vegetable oil;
- 1 egg;
- 4 tbsp. flour.
- Prepare all the ingredients. As with any other dough, the amount of flour will vary. Flour is used both for the dough itself, and for the powder of the working surface and dumplings.
- Pour the milk into the pot, add 1 tsp. salt and vegetable oil.
- Mix everything, put the pan on a slow fire and, stirring gently, bring the liquid to a boil.
- Remove the pan from the stove and add half a cup of sifted flour.
- Continue stirring with a spoon until all the lumps are broken and the mass becomes homogeneous. And then set the pan aside to allow the mixture to cool to room temperature for a while.
- Then put one egg in the pan and mix the dough well with a spoon.
- Now gradually adding the remaining amount of flour, knead the soft, sticky dough.
- Continue kneading, adding flour as needed, until the dough is suitable for kneading by hand.
- Now it's time to sprinkle flour on the work surface and put the dough out of the pan on it.
- Knead the dough on the desktop with sifted flour until it no longer sticks to your hands.
- Then cover the dough with a clean towel or plastic wrap to prevent drying, and leave it to rest for 20 minutes.
- After the dough is ready, cut it into small portions and roll each into a thin layer.
- Using a glass, cut out small circles and fill each with potato filling. Now make dumplings and boil them.
How to make the dough for dumplings with cottage cheese?
Dumplings with cottage cheese are sweet, salty, raisins or dried apricots. Each housewife prepares them to your taste and with your favorite additives. That is why the dough for cottage cheese dumplings is best to choose neutral, for example, as in this recipe.
- 2 tbsp. kefir;
- 800 g of flour;
- 1 tsp. baking soda.
- Pour the kefir in a small saucepan and gently heat it over low heat to room temperature. If there is a lot of time for cooking dumplings, then it is better to get the kefir from the refrigerator in advance.
- Add soda to kefir and mix well with a spoon so that it dissolves.
- Then pour sifted flour into kefir in small portions and knead soft sticky dough. It will be more convenient to add flour in several approaches - so large lumps are not formed.
- When the dough becomes thick enough, and kneading with a spoon will be difficult, we shift it to the work surface, beforehand sprinkling the table with flour.
- We continue to work with the dough, kneading it with hands and adding flour, if necessary. As a result, the dough should turn out smooth, elastic and not stick to your hands.
- We form a ball out of dough and place it in a clean bowl, which we cover with a dry towel.
- We clean in the refrigerator for about half an hour.
- After the time has elapsed, remove the bowl from the fridge, form a thick sausage from the dough and cut it into convenient portions.
- We roll each portion of dough with a heavy rolling pin into a layer several millimeters thick and cut circles in it with the help of a glass.
- Fill the circles with cottage cheese filling, add the raisins and boil the dumplings.
Curd Dough for Sweet Dumplings
On a hot summer day, when fresh fruit can be easily bought on the market or gathered in the garden, there is nothing more delicious than cherry dumplings. The dough for a dish with such a filling will be very tender if made on the basis of cottage cheese.
- 1 tbsp. small cottage cheese;
- 4 eggs;
- ½ tbsp. sugar sand;
- 1 pinch of soda and salt;
- about 1 kg of flour.
- In a deep plastic bowl, beat the eggs in a foam with a fork.
- Then we add small cottage cheese to the liquid egg mixture and knead well so that the mass is quite homogeneous.
- Now it's time to add salt and sugar to the bowl, the amount of which can vary depending on the filling. If the cherry is sweet enough, then half the glass is enough sugar. And for sour cherries, increase the amount of granulated sugar to 1 cup.
- If desired, a pinch of vanillin or a bag of vanilla sugar for flavor can be added to the recipe for this test for dumplings.
- Then pour burnt soda, sifted flour into a bowl of dough and knead the sticky mixture.
- When the dough becomes thick enough and homogeneous, it is time to move it to the table, sprinkled with flour, and continue to work with your hands.
- Continue to knead the dough until it is soft enough and pliable. Then roll the dough into a thin layer, cut the circles and fill them with stuffing.
- Boil dumplings from such cottage cheese dough need to be steamed for about 10 minutes.
Be sure to try different options for making dough for dumplings according to our recipes and do not forget to share the result with your loved ones. Enjoy your meal!