Just imagine: the delicate taste of warm thin dough, soft and airy potato filling with the aroma of fried onions ... Such a picture can almost force anyone to headlong to the refrigerator. And if there was a desire to enjoy this particular dish, there is nothing easier! How to make dumplings with potatoes "on the highest level"?
Ukrainians are very proud that their tradition to sculpt dumplings with potatoes has become a real culinary asset. And indeed, all Slavic peoples pay tribute to this dish, praising its virtues:
- minimum quantity of dough products (flour, eggs and water; if desired, you can add milk or kefir);
- versatility (dumplings can be served as a daily meal, and on the festive table);
- simplicity (in order to stick dumplings, it is not necessary to have a great culinary experience).
True, in fairness it should be noted that you have to allocate a good 2-3 hours for cooking. But there is a way out of this situation. Make a dough and filling or stick a lot of dumplings, pack in bags and put in the freezer. So you can always feed the family well-fed, and it will take a minimum of time - only to boil.
The “right” dough is half the success
The taste of products depends not only on the filling, but also on what kind of flour basis you knead. So, how to make the dough on the dumplings with potatoes?
- 5 tbsp. high-grade flour;
- 2 tbsp. icy filtered water;
- 2 eggs.
- On the work surface sift flour flour.
- We make a small depression and we hammer in eggs, pour in a thin stream of water.
- Knead the dough so that it is elastic and soft. If necessary, add flour.
- We roll the blank into a ball and cover with a cotton towel. We leave the dough for 1-1.5 hours to swell the gluten, and the dumplings are better molded.
- Divide the dough into portions, roll each into a sausage and cut into small pieces.
- We slice each slice with our fingers into a circle, while avoiding breakthroughs.
- Put the stuffing in the middle of the blank, close the edges, slightly pulling and rounding out the "ears".
- Boil in salted water.
Real Ukrainian dumplings with potatoes and onions
Dumplings can be made with dozens of various fillings (from meat to berries), but the most popular are flat cakes from dough with potatoes. Ukrainian housewives must add to this stuffing also fried onions.
- 800 g of sifted flour;
- 2 tbsp. water;
- 2 eggs;
- salt (to your taste);
- 7 large potatoes;
- 60 grams of fatty butter;
- 2 onions;
- 40 ml of vegetable oil (it is better to take unrefined sunflower).
- Knead the dough from flour, eggs, water and salt. We leave it "ripen".
- Making stuffing. Clean the potatoes, cut into quarters and boil in salted water.
- Chop onions finely.
- Pour oil on a preheated pan, pour onion and fry it over low heat until golden brown.
- Making mashed potatoes with butter.
- 2/3 of the onions and butter, in which he roasted, add to mashed potatoes.
- We make dumplings, boil them, put in a wide bowl.
- The remaining onions and butter pour the finished dish.
Spicy dumplings with potatoes and mushrooms
Mushrooms give the refined taste to the filling of such flour products. You can use the gifts of the forest, and you can buy champignons. Especially for those who want to understand how to make especially "air" dumplings with potatoes and mushrooms, we offer a recipe for dough on kefir.
- 4 tbsp. high-grade flour;
- 2 tbsp. low-fat kefir (better to take 0.05%);
- 2 eggs;
- 8 potatoes;
- 400 g of champignons;
- 40 ml of olive oil;
- 2 onions;
- salt (to taste).
- Knead the dough from flour, heated to room temperature, kefir and eggs. We give him a "rest" 45-50 minutes.
- We clean the potatoes, boil it in salted water.
- Mushrooms cut into 4-5 parts, onion chop.
- Pour butter into a frying pan and fry mushrooms with onions on low heat for about 10-15 minutes.
- Making mashed potatoes by adding mushroom zazharku.
- Roll out the dough into the reservoir, cut out round molds, put the filling and close the edges.
- Throw dumplings in boiling salted water, cook on medium heat until the moment they emerge. Served with sour cream.
How to make lazy dumplings with potatoes?
There is no desire to engage in modeling, and the family requires a tasty lunch? Delight them with lazy dumplings with potatoes. The whole cooking process will take you about 40 minutes.
- 6 large potatoes;
- 2 eggs;
- 150 g sifted flour;
- salt (to your taste).
- Peel the potatoes, boil them.
- Push through the puree without adding any milk or butter.
- In the cooled potato mass, we drive in eggs, add flour and salt.
- Knead the dough, divide it into several parts, forming from each sausage.
- Cut the sausages into pieces, roll them in flour and boil in salted water. Lazy dumplings are ready.
Dumplings are present in our menu for many centuries. And naturally, over the years certain technological details of their preparation have been developed:
- flour should be sifted to fill it with oxygen - the dough will be easy;
- the larger the mixing surface, the faster the process;
- if you like dumplings "in the body", that is, with a thick layer of dough, then knead it on kefir or heated water;
- so that the products do not fall apart, be sure to give the flour blank "rest" - then all the ingredients stick together better;
- another way to avoid holes in the dumplings - do not overload the dough with the filling (1-1.5 teaspoons is enough);
- cook flour tortillas in moderately boiling water over medium heat;
- if the filling has ended before the test, use the remainder for the dumplings or leave until the next time.
Even if cooking is not your forte, recipes that describe how to make dumplings with potatoes will help you to feed your family without any problems. Moreover, only the most ordinary products will be needed. Knowing some of the subtleties will help to make the dough and the filling quickly, as well as to avoid the appearance of holes in the dense "body" of the dumplings in the process of boiling.