Papaya or in another way a melon tree is a woody plant whose fruits have the same name. This fruit is exotic, in Russia it has been distributed relatively recently. His homeland - Central America, southern Mexico, northern South America. Currently melon tree grows in all countries with a tropical climate.
The color of the fruit of the plant varies from yellow to amber, the sizes are also different. The flesh is red, covered with a red-orange crust on top. Maturation of papaya occurs fairly quickly, the peel of green becomes amber. The ripe fruit is dense to the touch, and the skin is smooth and soft.
Unripe fruits are harvested; they are left to ripen for some time in a dark, dry place. When eaten, papaya should be peeled and seeds removed. Store fruit in cut form in the refrigerator can be no more than a week.
Papaya: good and harm
The chemical composition of papaya resembles that of a melon. It is enriched with fructose, glucose, organic acids, fiber, vitamins C, D, group B. It also contains sodium, phosphorus, iron, calcium, potassium. The special value of this fruit lies in papain - it is a plant enzyme, similar in composition to gastric juice. This substance is able to break down starch, proteins, fats. The caloric content of the fruit is approximately 48 kcal per 100 g of product.
- Papaya has a positive effect on the digestive system, helps to cleanse the intestines. Good to eat this fruit for gastritis, heartburn, hernias. By the way, experts recommend this exotic fruit to get rid of worms.
- Papaya juice has a positive effect on burns and insect bites. In addition, it has a wide distribution in cosmetology, for example: to get rid of unwanted hair on the body (papin has the property of keratin destruction), from freckles. Papaya also makes the skin smooth and elastic.
- The fruit of this plant normalizes the sugar content in the blood, has a positive effect in bronchial asthma and pain in the spine. In addition, this fruit has anti-cancer and anti-inflammatory effects. Even the fruits of the melon tree strengthen the immune system, so they are useful for colds. Papaya energizes the body and increases the vitality of the human body.
Papaya has contraindications, namely:
- Individual intolerance to the fetus;
- The juice of the immature fruit is dangerous and toxic. It includes alkaloids, and they in turn cause poisoning, disorders of the digestive process and pain in the abdomen, if they enter the body in large doses. Poisonous properties can not be afraid only when the juice becomes watery and colorless;
- If you use the fruit in large quantities, you can provoke yellowing of the skin.
Dried papaya: features
Dried papaya is a delicious and healthy dried fruit. In this form, the fruit does not lose its beneficial properties. For the preparation of candied papaya, the fruit is most often dried in the sun or in special dryers. Then the sliced and peeled fruits of the melon tree are soaked in sugar syrup to make the product dense. Typically, papaya candied fruits are in the form of cubes, pieces or sticks. The humidity of such a product should not exceed 15 percent, and the sugar content should be from 65 to 85 percent.
The taste of such candied fruits do not differ from fresh fruit. They are a great dessert and are widely spread in cooking, especially in the confectionery industry, and also as an ingredient for fruit salads, puddings, dairy products.
Despite the fact that papaya is a fruit and, it would seem, can only be used to make desserts, it goes well with meat and fish, giving the dishes a special taste and aroma.
Chicken fillet and papaya salad
- Average papaya - ½ pcs.
- Chicken breast (boiled, smoked) - 1 pc.
- Salad leaves - 100 g
- Parmesan cheese (grated) - 50 g
- Yogurt - 100 g
- Lemon juice (if not, white wine vinegar will do) - 2 tbsp.
- Olive oil - 2 tbsp.
- A mixture of "French herbs" or oregano - 1 tbsp.
- Salt, black pepper - to taste
- Cut the papaya in half, peel and seed, cut into cubes.
- Chicken breast also cut into cubes.
- For the sauce, blend in a blender until emulsified: yoghurt, parmesan, olive oil, lemon juice, french herbs, salt and black pepper.
- On each serving plate you need to put lettuce leaves, then a layer of chicken breast and papaya. Top with all you need to slightly sprinkle with sauce. Now you can serve the dish to the table, the sauce itself is served separately.
Fish with papaya
- Any large white fish - 0.5 kg
- Honey - 2 tbsp.
- Chili Pepper - Pinch
- Salt - to taste
- Papaya - 1 pc.
- Olive oil - 2 tbsp.
- Cut the fish into small portions, rinse, dry.
- Mix honey with pepper and coat each piece of fish with this mixture, salt a little.
- Heat the frying pan and fry fish on it in olive oil for 2 minutes on each side.
- Cut the papaya lengthways and peel the seeds, and then cut them into slices.
- Fry fruit with fish, but do not mix.
- After frying, cover the fish with a lid for 2-3 minutes, and then it can be laid out on plates!
Papaya is a tasty and healthy fruit. Since this fruit is exotic, not all the inhabitants of our country know about it. Be sure to try this product! It can be used not only fresh, but also as ingredients in meat and fish dishes, as well as desserts.