Mussel (Mithilide) - type of bivalve mollusks, has a black smooth surface. There are freshwater mussels (reach a length of more than 5 cm) and sea (about 5 cm long).
Even when these mollusks stopped being a delicacy and entered the everyday diet of many people, not everyone learned how to cook and eat them properly. BUT The process of cooking and serving mussels to the table has its own rules..
Health Benefits of Mussels
- The boiled meat of the coquina is a bit like the white of a boiled hard-boiled egg and is yellow with black edging. Since mussels contain a lot of starch, the meat has a sweet taste.
- This is a storehouse of minerals: there are magnesium, sodium, calcium, potassium, phosphorus, iron, iodine, boron, manganese, cobalt. Cobalt is very important for the process of blood formation, and it is much more in mussels than in the liver - pork, chicken and beef. There is an unusual animal starch - glycogen, which is an energy storage device that also serves to maintain an acceptable level of glucose in human blood, as well as digestive enzyme and other substances.
- Calorie mussels low - only 75 kcal per 100 g Therefore, their meat is recommended for elderly people, as a dietary product for people with atherosclerosis, in order to prevent obesity in diseases of the liver, gall bladder, diabetes, and patients with anemia.
- Scientists have proven that it is this mollusk that is able to reduce the risk of cancer. It also helps in the prevention of arthritis.
- By consuming mytilide meat, you will not only enrich your body with microelements, but also give yourself the pleasure of the delicate and unique taste of the product.
- When mussels are served in liquid form, That eating strategy is a little easier. The only thing is to squeeze a lemon on the clam or smear it with sauce before you eat it. Empty shells are folded into a pre-cooked plate.
- There are two types of eating: “drinking” the contents and using a spoon or shell;
- If you stopped at the first option, then make sure that the liquid from the shell does not drip onto your clothes, to do this, press the flap tightly to your mouth, and use a napkin. Hold her chin down. When drinking a mussel, make sure that the contents do not suck in too loudly.
- If you do not like this type of eating mussels, there is a second way - the use of an empty shell, like a spoon.
Mussels: what are they eating?
As a rule, dry white wine, light beer, and room temperature grape juice are served to seafood dishes.
If you want to serve the clams in the shells, then on the table must be standing cups with clean water, sliced lemon. Lemon is needed for the treatment of hands from the smell. You can use ordinary wipes, paper towels or wet wipes.
Mussel meat goes well with all vegetables, especially with potatoes, mayonnaise in various salads, various grains (rice, buckwheat).
From the shellfish you can cook any dish, if you fry them or stew them with vegetables, add tomato paste and spices.
But many connoisseurs of this product prefer to cook them alone, so that other ingredients do not interrupt their taste. You can cook and salad of mussels.
- Mussels - 1 kg
- Onions - 2 pcs.
- Tomato - 4 pcs.
- Olives - 10 pcs.
- Parsley sprigs - 3 pcs.
- Vegetable (corn) oil - 2 tbsp.
- Lemon juice (vinegar)
- Ground black pepper
The overcooked clam meat needs to be mixed with slices of tomatoes, onions, parsley, olives. Add some lemon juice (vinegar). Put salt and pepper to taste.
A little practice - and you will no longer have a problem, as there are mussels. You can truly enjoy a truly delicious dish in any company.
Try mussels and experience the joy of a real gourmet! Enjoy your meal!