In order to delight your immunity with a useful compote of dried fruits in winter, you need to know how to properly dry apples at home. For this, many housewives use the oven.
How to prepare apples for drying in the oven?
- For drying any suitable sour and sour-sweet varieties of apples. Be sure to sort them out, check for rot, wormy, etc. Only healthy, well-preserved apples can be dried.
- From 10 kg of fresh apples you get a little more than 1 kg of dried. 9 kg will evaporate from the initial mass of the product. This must be taken into account.
- Wash the apples well before drying. If the apples are purchased, then pay more attention to washing, because imported fruits are often treated with chemicals. You can clean the skin. So apples and dry will be faster. However, if the apples are homemade, then do not clean the skin, because it contains the most useful substances of the fruit!
- Now cut the apples in half. Corn with seeds. And cut the apples into slices or slices to your taste. The main thing is that the thickness of the slices or circles should be small (not more than 1 cm) - it is more convenient and faster to dry them.
- A knife for cutting apples, take necessarily stainless steel. After all, apples contain iron, which is already rapidly oxidized in air. The knife must be sharp to make the slices even.
How to dry apples in the oven?
- So that the ready slices of apples are not oxidized, they are blanched. They do it this way: they put sliced fresh apple slices into hot water (not boiling!) For a few seconds. Or you can hold them for 2-3 minutes in saline (1.5%). However, keep in mind that in the second method, apples lose some of their nutrients: acids and sugars, although these losses are insignificant. The second method is easier, because you can immediately cut the apples into a container with the prepared solution. And while lowering them into hot water, you will have to tinker and do it in portions, which is not very convenient. But you still have to choose.
- When the apples are sliced and ready for drying, they are spread on a baking sheet. Remember that iron trays are best not to use all for the same reason oxidation. Spread the apple slices in one layer so that the entire surface of the pan was filled.
The process of drying apples in the oven includes three stages.:
- Apples are dried at 50 ° C.
- The main part of the water is evaporated at a temperature of 70 ° C.
- Sterilization of apples at a temperature of 80 ° C.
For each stage of drying there is a temperature mode.
Drying apples in the oven takes about 6 hours in total. And most of the time spent on the evaporation of water from apples. The first and third stages take approximately the same time. The first stage is a kind of warming up, i.e. preparation of apples for the process of evaporation of water, directly to drying.
It should be remembered that if you sharply raise the temperature at the very beginning, the apples will be covered with a crust. This is fraught with the fact that water can not evaporate. Drying apples does not work.
It is recommended not to close the door very tightly at the very beginning of drying. Then the oven is ventilated, the water evaporates in large quantities, and the apples do not burn or burn.
After evaporation of water at the stage of sterilization, it is already possible to close the oven door tightly. Check the readiness of the apples themselves. Someone process takes not 6 hours, but more.
It is important that the apples are well dried. Then they will persist throughout the winter and even the next year (if there are a lot of them).