Undoubtedly, every housewife wants to learn how to cook delicious borscht. In Ukraine, borscht is the main dish of a feast.
Red borsch was cooked with cabbage, beetroot, carrots, parsley, from the second half of the 19th century. - with potatoes. On holidays, borscht was boiled in meat broth, and on weekdays - with a piece of bacon. And when serving on a particularly solemn day, the borsch was whitened with sour cream. Spicy taste was given by hot chilli borscht soup. Also began to cook soup with beans. Red borsch was widely used not only as an everyday dish, but also for Christmas, wedding, christening, commemoration.
Ingredients for borscht:
- Water - 5-6 liters
- Meat on the bone (pork, beef, homemade chicken) - 500-600 g.
- Cabbage - ½ head
- Beets - 1 pc.
- Carrots - 2pcs.
- Onions - 1 pc.
- Sweet pepper - 1 pc.
- Potato - 3pcs.
- Beans - 300-400 g.
- Salo - 30-40 g.
- Spices (bay leaf, basil, black and red pepper)
- Parsley, green onions
For the sauce:
- Sour cream - 200-250 g.
- Garlic - 3 cloves
- Mustard - ½ tsp.
- Soy sauce - 1 tsp.
- Dill - 1 bunch
- Meat washed with water several times, put in a saucepan and pour cold water. We put on the fire and wait until the foam rises, remove it, reduce the fire, put 1st.l. salt without top and cook for 1.5-2 hours. If you take regular beans, soak them in warm water for 1 hour, rinse, pick spoiled grains and pour in after the meat has boiled. And put the canned beans with cabbage.
- The main feature of Ukrainian borscht is red. That is why it is necessary to extinguish the vegetables. Wash beets, carrots and onions, clean. Onions and carrots cut into cubes. Fry a small piece of bacon on both sides, add vegetable oil, and fry the onions and carrots first. Beetroot cut into strips (you can rub on a grater, but this way the beets lose their color more quickly). Add the beets to the pan, fry without a lid for 10 minutes.
- Bulgarian pepper cut into cubes and put on the griddle. Peppers can be taken both fresh and frozen; in winter, you can use pepper from canned letcho salad (2 tablespoons). When the vegetables were extinguished for 10 minutes, add 1 tbsp dried basil, bay leaf (remember it in your hands a little, so that it gives flavor) and 2 tablespoons. tomato sauce (you can take tomato paste 1st. l). Mix well, pour a little broth and simmer under the lid for 20 minutes.
- Cabbage, clean the top sheets, wash and finely chop. Put cabbage for 20-30 minutes in cold water, so bitterness will go away from it.
- When the meat is cooked, put in the broth cabbage and potatoes, cut into large cubes. If the cabbage is winter varieties, boil it for 15-20 minutes, and in summer 10 minutes. Put the canned beans. Then add steamed vegetables, add some broth, if necessary add black and red peppers on the tip of a knife. Boil the soup on low heat for 10 minutes, add the parsley and leave to cover for 20 minutes under the lid.
A spicy taste is made by croutons with garlic sauce. Cut the half-bread, fry in a skillet with a small amount of vegetable oil. Put sour cream in a small salad bowl, add chopped dill, 3 cloves of garlic, a little black pepper, soy sauce, mustard. All is well mixed in a single mass, add, if you need more soy sauce or mustard.
Pour borsch in a plate, next to put croutons, spread with sauce.
Prepare a selection for this recipe, and it will always be tasty and rich. In some families there is a tradition to cook borsch on Sundays, so at the end of the week everyone is looking forward to real Ukrainian borsch.
Ha few practical tips for cooking borscht
- If you like sour soup, you can add a little pickle, apples and tomatoes.
- And for those who love sweet borsch, put in it 1st. L. Sahara.
- If you want to get a rich red color, cook the stewed beets on low heat for no more than 10 minutes, and for a more yellow color you have to cook it a little longer.
- Instead of the sauce, you can put sour cream in the soup, and fry the bread a bit in the pan and rub with garlic.
Good appetite! And delicious Ukrainian borscht!