Smelt is a fish that is consumed in the most varied form: salted, fried, smoked, boiled, stewed and even pickled. Fishermen claim that the smelt just caught give off a cucumber flavor, which is why they call it borage.
This fish has fatty meat, so it is great for both frying and more gentle cooking methods. Small fish eat directly from the ridges, and in the larger one it is easy to separate the meat from the bone. Try it and you cook the smelt at home, Its taste will surely appeal to lovers of sea food.
How to cook smelt in the oven: a recipe
Smelt, processed in the oven, is especially soft and with a pleasant crisp crust.. To it you can cook a delicious salad or side dish, and a full meal or dinner is ready. In the summer, when there is not much you want, it is best to serve fish with some kind of vegetable salad, if desired, you can eat it with a small amount of beer or kvass. This recipe is for 4-6 servings.
- Smelt - 500-700 g
- Lemon - 2 slices
- Vegetable oil - 100 g
- Salt, pepper, dry parsley - to taste
- Bay leaf - 3-4 pcs.
- Allspice - 5 pcs. peas
- First of all, put all the necessary products on the table. So cooking will be much easier.
- Then put a sheet of foil on a baking sheet. Place smelt one by one, then add seasonings and other products. Pour over oil. Then send the fish for 20 minutes in the oven, preheated to 200 degrees.
- If you prefer a fish with an appetizing golden crust, then in the last 5 minutes, open the top layer of foil and leave it to bake. Now you can serve the smelt on the table and enjoy its taste.
How to make fresh smelt: roasting method
- Fresh smelt - 1 kg
- Flour and salt
The composition of the marinade:
- Water - 1 l
- Vinegar 9% - ½ tbsp.
- Sugar - 7 tbsp. l
- Salt - 1 tbsp. l
- Bay leaf - 2 pcs.
- Allspice - 8 pcs.
- Onions - 1 pc.
- Chilled fresh smelt put in a colander and wash with cold water. If the fish is large, then cut off the abdomen and pull out the insides. Often in this small fish tasty caviar is hidden inside. If you love her, you can fry right with her. Then, during the cleansing, separate the head from the spine, carefully remove the insides, without touching the abdomen. Small fish can not even clean, just rinse.
- Then on the table, lay a paper towel or cloth, put the fish and dry thoroughly.
- In a deep bowl, mix the flour and salt. Place a large frying pan on the fire, generously sprinkling it with vegetable oil.
- Place a plate of dried smelt and a breading plate near the plate. Roll the fish in flour on both sides and immediately immerse in hot oil. It is not necessary to fold the fish too tightly, as it will then be inconvenient to turn over.
- Fry the smelt on each side. Cooking time depends on what kind of crust you want to get. Small fish can be cooked very crispy!
- After this dish can be served. Serve smelt with vegetable salad or fried potatoes, but smelt can be eaten without any side dish. It is very tasty in itself. But slices of lemon and napkins definitely need to stock up on, as it is quite fatty fish.
- If you are ready to wait, then you can cook marinade for smelt. In the boiling water, throw the bay leaf, pepper, sugar, cloves and salt. When the water starts to boil, add vinegar. Let marinade leave for a few minutes, then turn it off and cover with a lid. Take onion, peel and cut in half, and then - in slices.
- In a plastic container lay the fried smelt in layers, then a layer of onions, fish and onions again. At the top must be a bow.
- Pour the smelt on top of the marinade. In one hand, take the saucepan, and in the other hold the strainer. Pour the liquid onto the fish so that the thick lingers in the sieve. Marinade should completely cover the smelt and onions. Tightly close the container with the fish and refrigerate. A day later, the dish is ready to eat.
How to cook stuffed smelt tasty?
- Large smelt - 12 pcs.
- Pounded crackers - 6 tbsp.
- Greens to taste
- Vegetable oil - 1 tbsp. l
- Flour - 3 tbsp. l
- Lemon - 3 pcs.
- Eggs - 3 pcs.
- Tomato Paste
- Clean the smelt thoroughly, make an incision in the middle, remove the dorsal bone, salt and clean in a cold place.
- Add a little tomato paste or hot ketchup to the pan. Boil until thick, add chopped champignons and boil again until thick. Then put on a flat plate and put in the refrigerator.
- 20 minutes before serving, dry the smelt on a napkin, put a little stuffing in the middle of the fish, sew with thread, then roll in crushed breadcrumbs and eggs. When stuffing all the smelt, lower in small portions in hot fan until golden brown. Now you can put the fish on a napkin, pull out the thread, gently fold the dish on the plate and garnish with lemon slices and parsley.
Latvian smelt recipe
- Smelt - 500 g
- Onions - 1 pc.
- Butter - 50 g
- Water - 1 tbsp.
- White wine - 50 g
- Chopped greens
- Cream - 50 g
- Flour - 1 tbsp. l
- Spices, salt to taste
- Wash and clean the fish. Grease the pan with vegetable oil, put fish on top, fried onions with butter and flour, greens, pour white wine, sprinkle with salt, pepper, add water and bring to a boil.
- Boil for 10 minutes, then drain off excess water, lightly cool and add cream. Fill the fish with this mixture and cook for another 5 minutes. After that the smelt is ready, enjoy your meal!
Many often refuse wonderful taste smelt, as unfamiliar with it or consider it too difficult to cook. This is wrong, because you can just try, and then surely you will not be torn away from this moderately fat and pleasant fish.