Satsivi is an original sauce that is just perfect for both fish and meat dishes and is a true Georgian national dish. Serve it should be cold. Cooked sauce can be made from turkey or chicken. In some cases, it is possible to use other types of meat, and sometimes fish.
The main difference of Georgian cuisine is that the same dish can be cooked in different ways. For cooking satsivi, you can use both chicken and turkey (here each housewife can choose independently).
Particular attention is paid to herbs. The main ingredient is saffron. Also in Satsivi must be added garlic, pepper and cinnamon. There are mandatory not only cilantro, but also other spicy herbs.
At the heart of the preparation of satsivi are walnuts, which must be crushed. They can be rubbed through a fine sieve, crushed in a mortar or skipped through a meat grinder (it is advisable to carry out this procedure several times). Thanks to the addition of natural fruit juices, Satsivi acquires a light acidity.
- Eggplant - 5 pcs.
- Basil, cilantro, salt - to taste
- Hot pepper - 1 pc.
- Peeled Nuts - 200 gr.
- Garlic cloves - 4 pcs.
- Onion - 3 pcs.
- Vegetable oil - 3 tbsp.
- Pomegranate juice - ½ tbsp.
- In a mortar, the nuts are mixed with peeled garlic cloves, saffron, hot pepper and salt. Pomegranate juice and pure water is added (2 tbsp.).
- Onions are peeled and finely chopped. Fry in a frying pan with hot oil for a few minutes.
- In a frying pan, nut sauce is added to the onions, and then the mixture is brought to a boil. After which it is necessary to boil about 15 minutes.
- Eggplants are well washed and cut into not very thick circles, seasoned with salt and left for about 30 minutes. After the specified time, they are rinsed with cold water, put into a sieve so that the glass has excess water.
- Eggplant circles are fried in a pan with hot oil (about 3 minutes on each side).
- Greens are washed and thoroughly crushed, and then poured into a boiling sauce. Just before serving, cold sauce is sprinkled with pomegranate seeds.
How to cook satsivi from chicken?
- Chicken - 1 kg.
- Chicken broth - 500-600 gr.
- Ground coriander, black pepper - to taste
- Vinegar - 1 tbsp.
- Imereti saffron - 1 tsp.
- Hmeli-suneli - 1 tsp
- Egg - 1 pc.
- Parsley or cilantro to taste
- Garlic cloves - 2 pcs.
- Onion - 1 pc.
- Peeled walnuts - 350-400 gr.
- Nuts can be crushed with a meat grinder or in a mortar. If desired, a blender can be used to make the sauce.
- The chicken is placed in a saucepan and cooked in lightly salted water.
- Onions are peeled and slightly fried in a frying pan with hot oil. Leave on until it cools to room temperature.
- A raw egg is broken into a bowl, crushed garlic cloves, parsley, cooled onions and nuts (minced) are added.
- Then cooled chicken broth is added to the container and everything is thoroughly whipped until the mass acquires a uniform consistency.
- It is added to the vinegar sauce, seasoning and salt. Satsivi should get a whitish hue.
- Chicken is shifted to the pan. To it is added ready-made sauce. As soon as it boils, the pan is removed from the stove and left for exactly 3 hours. Satsivi with chicken should be served to the table in a cold state, without heating.
Satsivi in Georgian
- Chicken or turkey - 2 kg.
- Salt - to taste
- Powder shafaran - 1 tsp.
- Satsivi seasoning - 2 tsp.
- Acute adjika - 3 tsp.
- Garlic - 0.5 heads
- Peeled walnuts - 500 gr.
- Wings are laid out in a saucepan and poured with cold water. After boiling boil for about 15 minutes.
- The broth is poured into a separate container, filtered and left for a while to cool to room temperature.
- Onions are peeled and cut into small cubes. A frying pan is put on the stove, a small amount of butter is heated, in which it is lightly fried.
- Cooked wings are laid out in a pan with onions and roasted for 15 minutes. In this case, the wings must be regularly turned and mixed so as not to burn.
- To prepare the sauce, remove the nuts from the shell and remove all partitions. Garlic is peeled, cilantro is washed and put into the blender bowl. Pomegranate juice, cinnamon, adjika, hops-suneli, salt and seasonings are added.
- Separately, the nuts are crushed in a mortar, after which they are added to the sauce, and everything is thoroughly mixed.
- Ready sauce poured wings. After that, they are left for about 3-4 hours. Satsivi should be served cold with hot lavash, rice without salt.
- Turkey - 3-4 kg.
- Salt - to taste
- Wine vinegar - 1 tbsp.
- Egg yolks - 6 pcs.
- Onion - 1 pc.
- Garlic cloves - 6 pcs.
- Ground cloves - 1 dl.
- Ground cinnamon - 1 d.l.
- Red ground pepper - 2 tsp.
- Imereti saffron - 1 tsp.
- Dried cilantro - 5 tsp.
- Peeled walnuts - 1 kg.
- Turkey must be gutted, thoroughly rinsed. Then shift to a small saucepan and pour water. Turkey cooked until ready. During the preparation, it is necessary to periodically remove the forming foam.
- Once the little idea is cooked, it must be removed from the pan and put it on the baking tray with the breast down. Then brown in a preheated oven, cut into small portions. It is advisable to remove all the bones from the turkey.
- Broth should be left for a while so that it can cool to room temperature.
- Nuts are crushed with a meat grinder, then mixed with crushed garlic cloves, dry cilantro, saffron, cinnamon, cloves, red pepper and salt. All components are well mixed.
- Egg yolks are added to the sauce. Once again, everything is thoroughly mixed.
- The onion is minced in a meat grinder, then added to the sauce and again everything is mixed.
- The resulting mass is diluted with already cooled broth. As a result, the sauce should acquire a rather thick sour cream consistency.
- The resulting mass is passed through a fine sieve, and then poured into a saucepan. This procedure should be repeated 3-4 times, until the sauce becomes similar in texture to kefir. All solid residues can be discarded.
- A saucepan with sauce is put on a slow fire, stirring constantly, brought to a boil. As soon as the first bubbles begin to appear on the surface, the fire is turned off. Slices of turkey are laid out in a pan with satsivi and allowed to cool thoroughly. A little vinegar and salt are added to the cold sauce, everything is mixed.
Useful tips from experienced chefs:
- If Satsivi was cooked correctly, it becomes white. Particular attention should be paid to nuts. You can pour them only with boiling water, so that the sauce is much lighter.
- In order for the dish to be not only tasty, but also light, you need to take a simple chicken breast and remove the skin from it. Then stew in a pan with the lid closed. Sauce should be prepared only on water. At the same time, nuts should be added 2 times less, and with the help of fresh greens their deficiency will be replenished.
- Broth should be added directly to the nut mass, but not vice versa. In this way, it will be possible to obtain the desired thickness of the sauce.
- Onions are stewed on very low heat until it dissolves and becomes soft, gelatinous. It is important to ensure that it does not burn. Otherwise, the taste of the dish will be spoiled.
Serve to the table satsivi should be cold. Much more delicious is the combination of sauce with pita bread, fresh greens, white bread and dry red wine, which emphasizes the divine taste of the dish.