Borsch is a traditional Ukrainian dish that many cook in our country. There are quite a few cooking options for borscht: it is boiled with sauerkraut or fresh cabbage, and tomato paste or tomatoes are added to it. But the red color of beet attached to borscht is red. Today we will talk about how to cook red beet soup.
How to cook red soup: the secrets of culinary
At first glance it seems that cooking soup is quite simple. This is not entirely true. To borscht really turned out appetizing, bright and rich, you have to try. The success of the dish depends not only on compliance with all stages of preparation, but also on the quality of the ingredients. Why does it happen that we cook borscht using the same recipe, but each time it turns out to be different: now bright red, then pale? To borsch was red, what to do?
To clarify these issues we will help tips chefs:
- As already mentioned, in many respects the color of borscht depends on the beets. To make it red, do not immediately put all the beets in the soup, because when boiling it loses its color. Leave about 1/3 of the beets of the total amount indicated in the recipe, finely rub and add to the borsch when it is ready, bring it to the boil and turn it off immediately.
- Beets can be boiled separately from the soup, and then finely grate and add to the pan 5 minutes before the end of cooking. Beets need to cook in unpeeled form - the skin will keep her color.
- If you want your soup to be bright red, then use sauerkraut. The fact is that the color of the dish depends on the level of acidity, and sauerkraut is quite sour.
- To borscht had a rich taste, you need to add a little acid. Vinegar is mainly used for this purpose. Add it during cooking dressing, along with a small pinch of sugar. Just be sure to wait for the vinegar to evaporate, otherwise it will give the taste and smell.
- Refill for borscht should be fried on a small fire - so the beets only slightly lose their color.
- If tomatoes are added to borsch, they will also give it a red color. Choose them correctly: they should be fleshy, and best of all - slightly over-ripe.
- If you use tomato paste instead of tomatoes, then it must be of high quality.
The basics have been studied, we can safely move from theory to practice.
Ukrainian red borscht recipe
Your attention is invited to the classic recipe for cooking red borscht in Ukrainian. There is nothing difficult in it, the main thing is to strictly follow the recipe and keep the proportions.
- meat with bone (better to take beef) - 0.5 kg;
- fresh tomatoes - 4-5 pcs. or tomato paste - 2-3 tbsp. l .;
- 1 beet;
- sauerkraut - 1 tbsp .;
- 5-6 potato tubers;
- 2 medium carrots;
- 2 medium onions;
- 150 g fat for dressing or vegetable oil;
- 3-4 laurel leaves;
- 3-4 garlic cloves;
- 3-4 peppercorns;
- boiled or filtered water;
- ½ tsp salt.
- We take a saucepan with a volume of 5-6 liters and pour the filtered or boiled water so that it fills up a little more than half the container.
- Meat is washed under running water and put in a single piece in a saucepan. If you chop the meat into pieces, the broth will turn out less rich. Cook the broth. Tip: as soon as the water starts to boil, add the peeled onions and carrots to the pan - they will add flavor and color to the broth. When the broth boils, gently need a skimmer to remove the foam.
- While the broth is boiling, peel the potatoes, carrots and onions.
- Potatoes need to cut into cubes.
- When the broth is cooked, it must be drained and the meat cut into portions.
- Strain the broth set on the fire, add slices of beef and potatoes, bay leaf and pepper-peas. At this stage, the borsch should be salted, but do it carefully, because sauerkraut is also salty.
- While potatoes are boiled, we will prepare a dressing for our borscht. To do this, chop 2 onions finely and rub carrots.
- Rub beets on a medium grater.
- In the pan melt the lard or heat the sunflower oil. Add the onion and fry it for 1-2 minutes, then pour the carrots. Fry vegetables for 2-3 minutes.
- Then add beets to the pan and fry until it becomes soft and gives color.
- Now you need to dilute the tomato paste with water or broth to a uniform consistency and pour into the pan. If you use fresh tomatoes, then they should be cut, first dipped in hot water and peeled.
- As soon as the tomato boils, pour in some vinegar (1 tsp.) And add 0.5 tsp. Sahara. Mix everything well and leave to simmer over low heat. Tip: in order for the borscht to turn out red and tasty, the dressing needs to be stewed for about half an hour, until the excess liquid boils away.
- When the potatoes in the pan boil for 15 minutes, add the sauerkraut. Cook almost until ready and add our dressing and squeezed garlic. Bring to a boil and try on the salt. If necessary, soup must be salted.
- Boil the soup for about 3-4 minutes, add the greens and turn off. We leave for half an hour to insist.
- Borsch with beets ready. It is better to serve with sour cream.
Cook borschik in a slow cooker: recipe
Delicious red borsch can be cooked in a slow cooker. The ingredients we use are the same as in the previous recipe, only instead of sauerkraut we take fresh, and we replace vinegar with lemon juice.
- First of all, chop the onions and rub the carrots, as well as beets.
- On the multicooker set the program "Baking" and pour into the bowl a little sunflower oil. Add the onion and fry for 2-3 minutes, then pour the carrots and pass for about 5-7 minutes.
- Now you need to add beets to vegetables. Tip: together with the beets, add the juice of half a lemon - so it will keep the color. Salt and pepper the vegetables, add the tomato, and then stew for ten minutes.
- Beef and potatoes should be cut into medium cubes, and cabbage should be chopped. Add everything to the slow cooker and fill with filtered water to the maximum mark.
- Add bay leaves and peppercorns, set the program "Soup" or "Quenching" (depending on the model of multicooker) and cook until it ends.
- At the end of cooking, add the squeezed garlic and greens to the borsch, and then leave for 15-20 minutes.
We hope that our recipes will be useful to you, and your soup will turn out red and very tasty. Cook with pleasure!