Cooking boiled potatoes is the first step towards creating many different and tasty dishes. This root crop is the basis of soups, side dishes, salads and even some drinks. Still do not know how to cook potatoes? Start by choosing the root vegetables for your dish.
Potato: all the details of cooking
Before you boil the potatoes in a saucepan, for starters, this same root crop is worth getting. To do this, we go to the nearest vegetable market, to a supermarket or a regular store where potatoes are available all year round, and we select good and identical tubers in size and color. Please note that a good root must be firm, without green stains and a harsh putrid odor.
In addition, not every potato is suitable, for example, for mashing, because the starch content varies depending on the variety:
- Highly starchy potatoes have a light powdery structure. It will be the ideal base for a cream soup and a mashed side dish.
- Root crops with medium starch content, such as Finnish yellow or golden Yukon varieties, contain the most moisture and do not boil well. Therefore, they are best used when cooking in pots, as well as for soup.
- Low-starch potatoes keep their original shape better than others even after a long cooking. Because of this, such root vegetables are often served as a whole as a side dish or used as a component in a salad.
So, the "right" and good tubers are selected, what next? How to cook potatoes in a saucepan? There are several answers to this question: without a peel and "in uniform". It is up to you to choose which method of preparation, we will describe both options.
Cook potatoes by the rules
In the early stages of mastering culinary art, for the preparation of most dishes, it is necessary to know how to cook potatoes in a saucepan without the peel. This is the easiest and fastest way to cook root vegetables. In addition, when boiled in potatoes, all the nutrients are preserved, and the product itself is low-calorie. Let's start?
- 3-4 large potato tubers;
- salt - 1 tsp.
- Prepare the potatoes for cooking: wash it, dry, peel and peel. If desired, especially large tubers can be cut into halves or even quarters.
- Put the potatoes in a saucepan and pour with cold water so that the liquid covers the contents of 3-4 centimeters.
- Add salt to the water, stir and set the pan on high heat to boil.
- After the potatoes boil, reduce the power of the burner to minimum and continue cooking. Cover the container with a lid is not necessary if in the end you need to get whole root vegetables.
- Potato boiling time will depend on the size of the tuber. Large root vegetables are cooked longer, while potatoes, cut into slices, boil for about 10 minutes.
- In principle, you can begin to check readiness 5 minutes after boiling water by gently poking the potatoes with a knife or fork. If the knife enters easily, it means that the potatoes are fully prepared.
- When ready, toss boiled potatoes into a colander, and drain the liquid into the sink. If the recipe is supposed to use cold potatoes, you can cool the roots under running water.
As you can see, there is nothing difficult in preparing such a dish. The only thing that needs to be considered: if you are boiling potatoes for mashed potatoes, then you need to cover the pan with a lid. In addition, the potato broth itself can be an excellent alternative to boiled milk during cooking "crushed". And if you add a sprig of dill, parsley and bay leaves to the broth, the potatoes will acquire a completely unprecedented taste and aroma.
Soldier option - potatoes "in uniform"
Consider how to cook delicious potatoes in a saucepan with the skin. In the people, this method of cooking boiled potatoes has long been accustomed to be called “in uniform”. This is due to the fact that for this method of cooking all the roots should be the same as a company of soldiers. If you choose tubers of different sizes, the large ones will remain undercooked, while the small ones will turn into porridge.
The very principle of preparation consists of several simple steps:
- We take potatoes, carefully wash them under running water, you can even use a special soft brush.
- We put the tubers on the bottom of the non-enameled saucepan and pour cold water over it.
- At the next stage, we add salt to the water, it will allow the skin to preserve its integrity and not to crack during cooking.
- Put the pan on a strong fire and let the liquid boil, then reduce the power of the stove to a minimum.
- In this mode, cook potatoes for about 25 minutes. Then the liquid is drained, and the tubers are washed in cold water.
- After the potatoes have cooled completely, remove the skin and use boiled tubers for the intended purpose.
An important point: experienced chefs do not recommend leaving cooked potatoes in boiling water. It is believed that since it acquires an ugly appearance and loses in taste. For the same reasons, it is highly undesirable to pierce potatoes during cooking.
Of course, it is difficult to imagine a person who does not know how to cook potatoes. But for those who suddenly do not possess such culinary skills, this material will be useful. At least, you really will not stay hungry.