For avid mushroom pickers, the quiet hunting season usually begins with morels. Indeed, these mushrooms begin to appear as early as April. To recognize them is quite simple due to the structure of the cap. Morels are considered relatively safe - all their types can be eaten.
Morels have a fairly distinctive and recognizable type of cap. It is porous in mushrooms, similar to honeycombs, from yellowish to black. The shape of the cap may look like an egg or an elongated oval. Sometimes these mushrooms are confused with lines. In fact, there is a difference between them. The cap of the lines is covered with a lot of convolutions. Morels can grow up to 15 cm.
Morel mushrooms: cooking
Morels in our country are considered conditionally edible. In some other countries, they are recognized as poisonous. There is nothing surprising. In fact, the explanation is banal - the mushrooms must be subjected to thorough heat treatment. The danger lies in the fact that morels are often confused with lines that need to be cooked and soaked for a long time.
For cooking, first of all, you need to wash morels, remove the damaged areas. Then they are soaked for 1-2 hours. After that, boil in salted water at the rate of 1 to 3 for 25-30 minutes. The broth is drained, the mushrooms are washed and used for frying, stewing and soups. They are also used as a filling for pies. Morels can be dried. This is usually a long process, the harvesting takes at least 3 months. Dried mushrooms are added to soups and make them seasoning. To do this, they are simply ground into powder.
Morels mushrooms: recipes
The recipes for cooking morels are surprising variety. Most often, the mushrooms are fried with onions and stewed with sour cream. In this case, they can be served as a separate dish. By the way, in Europe it is considered a delicacy.
Morels in sour cream
- Morels - 500 gr.
- Sour cream - 1 tbsp.
- Flour - 1 tsp.
- Cheese - 25 gr.
- Vegetable oil - 1 tsp.
- Salt, parsley - to taste
- Prepare mushrooms for frying: soak for 1 hour, boil for 30 minutes in salted water, drain it, and wash more smokes.
- Mushrooms cut into slices and fry in butter. At the very end, sprinkle with flour and pour sour cream. Bring the mixture to a boil and simmer another 5-7 minutes.
- Then put in the form, sprinkle with cheese and top in a preheated 200 degree oven. Bake until golden brown. When serving, you can sprinkle the mushrooms with parsley.
- Broth - 1 l.
- Morels - 250 gr.
- Onion - 1 pc.
- Potatoes - 2-3 pcs.
- Carrots - 1 pc.
- Vegetable oil - to taste
- Salt and spices - to taste
- Prepare for cooking morels. Soak in water for 1-2 hours, boil for 30 minutes, rinse, chop.
- Dip the diced potatoes in the heated broth. It should cook for 20 minutes.
- During this time, prepare the roast. Grate the carrots, chop the onion. Fry them in butter.
- In the broth with potatoes add morels. 5-7 minutes before the readiness put the frying and bay leaf. Salt to taste.
- Morels, collected in dry sunny weather, will be suitable for drying. Mushrooms found in the rain will rot. First of all, you need to clean the product from dirt. With morels it is difficult to do.
- For drying, you need to choose strong mushrooms without damage (without rot and worms). Morels need to be cut into slices, spread out in a dry place for 2-3 days, then dried in an oven. First, 2-3 hours at 40-59 degrees, then at 70 degrees 1-1, 5 hours. The oven door must be open. Then the mushrooms are transferred to a paper bag or jar, which is tightly closed. Otherwise they will absorb moisture.
- Use dried morels is possible only after 3 months. During this time, the poisonous substances contained in them are completely destroyed. Before cooking, dried mushrooms are usually soaked.
Morels mushrooms: when to collect?
The first morels begin to appear in early spring. They can be seen in the woods already when the snow melted. The growth of fungi increases with the onset of heat. Especially a lot of them in April and May. Morel conical - one of the varieties of this plant. He can meet in the forest in June. True, this does not always happen, but only in the case of a cold spring.
Morel mushrooms: where do they grow?
- Morels prefer sunny glades. Especially a lot of them in open places. Forest type does not matter. They grow in both deciduous and coniferous forests. It happens that mushrooms can be found in city parks.
- In the south, they grow in front gardens, on gardens and lawns. When searching for morels it is worth looking into the forest ditches, furrows. It is believed that they often grow under the ash. In order to collect a lot of morels, it is necessary to understand their varieties. There is nothing difficult in this, because only two species are known - common sly and conic.
- The first you will find under deciduous trees, the second - in the grass, in coniferous and mixed plantings.
Both species grow in the burning places, where the forest fire passed. Mushrooms have another feature. They do not grow constantly in the same place. The mycelium somehow moves from one forest area to another.
Morels ate more in Rome. In those days, they were considered a real delicacy. Even now, few people will refuse appetizing cooked morels. They have great taste! Remember one main rule, these mushrooms need careful heat treatment.