Lentils are a common product in Indian and Middle Eastern cuisine. In Russia, it was also extremely popular, even bread was baked from it. But with the advent of potatoes, this cereal was undeservedly forgotten, and you can make a lot of tasty and healthy dishes from it.
Lentils are a leguminous family culture rich in protein and practically free of fat. In its nutritional value, it is not inferior to meat.. Thanks to there is a lot of iron in lentils, during heat treatment, it does not lose its beneficial properties. This cereal is considered one of the best products for people who adhere to proper nutrition.
How to choose lentils?
It is difficult to overestimate the merits of this cereal, but in order to fully enjoy its excellent taste, you must first make the right choice. Lentil has many varieties, and the method of preparation depends on the type of cereal.
The shape and size of lentils can be completely different, but it is always better to choose whole grains.
- French lentils are green. It is unripe groats, it keeps its shape and cooks longer than other types. Perfect for cooking salads and meat dishes.
- Yellow lentils are peeled green. It goes well with vegetables and is suitable for soups and mashed potatoes.
- Pardin lentils are ripened grain. It boils very quickly and has a light nutty flavor, suitable for casseroles, soups, stews and snacks.
- Egyptian red lentils, has no shell. Cooked quickly, used for mashed potatoes, soups and vegetable stews.
- Black lentils or beluga - similar to black caviar, used in vegetable dishes, soups and salads.
How tasty to cook lentils?
Lentil is better not to soak, but just sorting, separating the bad beans and pebbles, and then rinse a couple of times under running water. For salads, you need to cook it the least, for soups and mashed potatoes longer. She is it is put in already boiling water, observing a ratio of 1: 2 (1 tbsp. Cereals for 2 tbsp. Of water). As soon as the croup was in the water, the fire should be immediately extinguished to a minimum and cook for 15- 45 minutes, depending on the dish you want to cook and varieties of lentils. Salt need for 5-6 minutes until ready. After cooking, the beans acquire a delicate nutty flavor. You can cook not only in water, but use meat and mushroom broth or add a small amount of wine to the water, and the cooking end field - a tablespoon of lemon juice.
If you cook lentils as a side dish, put sage, rosemary, celery, bay leaf, cloves, etc. into it. Wonderful complement the taste of onion, garlic and tomatoes. You can also use a variety of spicy sauces: tomato, vinegar, mustard. It goes well with olive-based sauce with the addition of lemon juice, mint and basil.
How to cook lentil soup?
Very simple, rich and delicious soup, which is cooked in literally 15 minutes. For people who spend all day at work, and in the evening there is absolutely no energy left for cooking - this is the perfect option! The main thing is to prepare in advance chicken or any other low-fat broth.
Quick lentil soup
- Broth - 2-2.5 l
- Lentils red - 250 g
- Tomatoes - 2 pcs.
- Onion - 1 pc.
- Salt, pepper, spices (coriander, turmeric and Italian herbs) - to taste
- Olive or other vegetable oil - 1-2 tbsp.
- Carrots - 2 pcs.
- Put the chicken broth on the stove, bring to a boil and pour the lentils into it.
- Peel the onion and carrot, pour boiling water over the tomato and discard the peel. Dice onions and tomatoes, and grate carrots on a coarse grater. Heat the frying pan with a little vegetable oil and fry. Pour the diced tomatoes and stew a little.
- Check the lentils for readiness, usually it is 5-7 minutes after boiling, put the roast, salt, pepper and add spices. Cook for another 2-3 minutes.
- Give the soup a little brew, you can squeeze a few cloves of garlic. Serve with chopped greens.
Lentil soup with smoked meats
Beautiful soup with smoked flavor and rich flavor.
- Smoked ribs and knuckle - 500 g
- Turnip - 2 pcs.
- Carrots - 2 pcs.
- Salt, spices, red ground Water - 3 l
- Lentils - 300 g
- Onions - 2 pcs.
- pepper, greens - to taste
- Bring pot to the boil. Wash lentils and send cooked. There put ribs.
- Turnip clean and cut into cubes and add to lentils.
- Onions, carrots, peel and fry in oil until golden brown, put in soup.
- Shank cut into large chunks and put in the soup, when lentils and turnips are almost ready. Lay, pepper and add spices.
- After 5 minutes, turn off the heat and allow the soup to infuse.
What can be cooked from lentils?
Lentil and Cheese Salad
- Lentils (green is better) - 200 g
- Parsley and basil - 1 bunch
- Sulguni cheese - 200 g
- Tomatoes - 3 pcs. (or 10 pieces of cherry)
- Olive oil - 2-3 st.l.
- Lemon juice - to taste
- Salt - to taste
- Boil lentils with bay leaf, a little salt. Rinse and allow to cool. Put in a salad bowl.
- Tomatoes and cheese cut into cubes, if cherry - cut in half.
- Finely chop greens. Salad dressing with olive oil and lemon juice, salt to taste.
Vegetable stew with lentils
- Red onion - 1 pc.
- Sweet pepper - 1/2 pcs.
- Celery - 1 stalk
- Little olive - 2 tbsp.
- Balsamic vinegar - 1 tbsp.
- Eggs - 2-3 pcs. (depends on the number of servings)
- Champignons - 5-6 pcs.
- Spinach young - 200 g
- French lentils - 200 g
- Garlic - 2-3 cloves
- Salt, pepper, Provencal herbs - to taste
- Boil lentils until tender.
- Peel the onion and chop into half rings, finely chop the garlic and celery.
- In a deep frying pan pour 1 tbsp. olive oil and fry onion, garlic and celery.
- Peel carrots, cut into cubes and send to vegetables.
- Sweet peppers rid of seeds, cut into cubes, and mushrooms, plates and also put to brown.
- Cover and simmer until cooked vegetables.
- Add chopped spinach and lentils to the pan, mix, pour in balsamic vinegar, salt, pepper and season with spices.
- Fry the eggs in another pan.
- Serve portions, laying on each plate a slide, and a fried egg on top.
How to cook lentils in a slow cooker?
Lentil curry in a slow cooker
- Olive oil - 1 tbsp.
- Chives - 4 feathers
- Tomatoes - 3 pcs.
- Garlic - 2 cloves
- Grated ginger - 50 g
- Vegetable broth or water - 500 ml.
- Onions - 2 pcs.
- Lentils - 500 g
- Sweet pepper - 1 pc.
- Carrots - 2 pcs.
- Bay leaf - 1 pc.
- Curry Powder - 1 tbsp.
- Onions, carrots, peppers, tomatoes cut into cubes. Pour olive oil in a slow cooker, add vegetables and select the mode of Toasting or Without a lid and fry vegetables for 10-12 minutes.
- Pour the lentils in the crock-pot, pour in the hot broth, put the bay leaf, garlic, salt and pepper, add the curry, ginger and chopped green onion feathers.
- Close the lid and select the Bean or Rice mode for 10 minutes.
- Served with minced cilantro.
Lentil real record breaker among grains in protein and folic acid! This dish is very popular among vegetarians, because in its nutritional properties is not inferior to meat. For meat eaters on fasting, it is also indispensable. Lentil dishes are simple to prepare, but they are very tasty, satisfying and healthy.