In the national cuisine of many nations of the world there are dishes that should be prepared in the traditional way. Violation of technology and the use of other ingredients distorts the taste. Especially a lot of controversy over the preparation of Georgian kharcho. Variants of spicy soup there is a lot, but only some of them can be considered correct.
The search for a traditional recipe is complicated by the fact that each region of Georgia has its own view on cooking kharcho. Despite this, there are basic principles, which should not be violated. Otherwise, at the exit you will receive not a thick spicy soup, but a completely different dish.
- The main cooking feature is the right choice of meat. Many housewives cook kharcho on lamb, pork and even chicken. In the classic recipe, only beef has always been used. Even the name of the dish is translated from Georgian as "cooking beef." At the same time a certain part of the carcass was selected. The soup must be very nourishing. It is best to buy bacon for broth. It has sufficient fat content.
- The second feature is the use of additional ingredients. Most of the Georgian housewives in the Kharcho lays nuts and lots of greens. It is believed that the dishes of Georgia are very sharp. This is not entirely true. Spices are used in them only to create a spicy flavor and exquisite taste. Therefore, it is not necessary to add a lot of hot peppers to the kharcho. Preference is given to fresh herbs, rather than seasoning. Traditional beef soup is not made without tklapi. This additional ingredient is a dried layer of crushed plums. Most of all it looks like a classic pastille. Replacement tklapi allowed. Instead of it, chopped cherry plum (satsivi) or tomatoes are put in the kharcho. The only difference is that they make almost at the very end of cooking soup. As for nuts, they can be both walnuts and forest. The second option can be found in the recipe of the Megrelia version of the soup. Imereti hostesses prefer to use walnuts.
- Rice quality is also important. Usually, classic grain is added to classic kharcho. The sides of the grains should be well ground.
- Almost in all recipes of kharcho, various Georgian sauces — tokals, from tomatoes, etc. are additionally used. If you do not have the right ingredient, you can make a substitution. Often, instead of cherry plum or tomato sauce, ordinary tomato paste is used. It is simply diluted with a small amount of water. Many add to the soup adjika. It gives the dish the desired taste and color.
Preparing beef soup is not very difficult. The whole technology can be reduced to 3 stages:
- Cooking broth
- Putting rice into it
- Add greens
How to cook beef kharcho?
- Beef - 1 kg.
- Water - 3 liters.
- Rice - 0.5 Art.
- Onions - 4 pcs.
- Flour - 1 tbsp.
- Pepper - 10 Peas
- Basil, parsley - 2 tbsp.
- Tomato paste - 0.5 tbsp.
- Walnuts - 0, 5 tbsp.
- Cilantro, garlic, salt, bay leaf - to taste
- Rinse the beef under running water. Drain with a towel and cut into cubes of 3 cm.
- Put the meat in a pan with a volume of more than 3 liters. Pour it with water. Cook over medium heat for 1.5 hours.
- Wash rice. From the pan to pull the finished meat. Strain the broth in any way. You can use gauze or colander. Bring the broth to a boil and add rice. Meat put back into the pot. Salt the broth and cook for 10 minutes.
- Peel and finely chop the onion. Heat the pan, pour a little vegetable oil into it. Fry onion until tender. Sprinkle it with flour on top. Put the onions, peppercorns and bay leaves in a saucepan with broth.
- Crush the walnuts and pour into the pan after the spices and onions in 5 minutes.
- After 5 minutes. add spices (parsley, basil) and tomato paste to the kharcho.
- Let the soup boil for another 3-4 minutes. Crush and add garlic and cilantro. You can also use the purchase adjika. Kharcho is served on the table only some time after it is removed from the heat. Basically it is poured into plates after 5 minutes.
Variations of kharcho and lamb are quite common. This soup turns out to be extremely rich and nourishing.
- Lamb (preferably brisket or ribs) - 1 kg.
- Water - 3 liters.
- Rice - 0.5 Art.
- Onions - 2 pcs.
- Cilantro, parsley, hops-suneli, salt - to taste
- Tomatoes - 2 pcs.
- Rinse the lamb under running cold water. Remove films, cut into pieces of medium size. Preheat a skillet with a thick bottom and fry the meat on it until the fat is melted.
- Put the lamb into the pan. To fill with water. Boil for about 30 minutes. over medium heat.
- Peel the onion. Cut into half rings. Fry in a pan with lamb fat.
- Wash rice under running water. Put in pan with broth. Add ready fried onion. Boil all together for another 20 minutes.
- In a small stewpan pour water. Put it on fire. Wash tomatoes. Put for 10 sec. in a saucepan with boiling water. Cool and remove the skin from them. Chop the tomatoes very finely with a knife or blender. Add the tomato mixture to the kharcho. Cook for another 2-3 minutes.
- Cut the greens. Put it in broth along with spices and salt.
Cooking kharcho of lamb has its own peculiarities. As you know, this meat is quite tasty when it was just removed from the heat. As it cools, the fat freezes. Therefore, lamb kharcho should be served only in very hot form. Otherwise, whitish fat plates will float on the surface. Also, over time, the taste changes slightly. Therefore, the Kharcho should not stagnate. It is best to cook the soup in a small amount.
Delicious Chicken Soup
In spite of the fact that they did not cook traditional kharcho out of chicken, it is worth trying this option. This type of meat is considered one of the most common in Georgian cuisine. Therefore, if you do not have beef in the refrigerator, you can replace it with chicken thighs. They have sufficient fat content. But to cook broth on the breasts is not worth it. This part of the chicken is too dietary.
- Chicken thighs - 700 gr.
- Water - 2.5 liters.
- Rice - 0.5 Art.
- Onions - 1 pc.
- Garlic - 3 cloves
- Tkemali sauce or tomato paste - 3 tbsp.
- Parsley, hops-suneli, salt - to taste
- Wash the thighs in cold water. Put them in a saucepan and pour water. We put on the middle fire. Cook for 20 minutes.
- Wash rice and put it in the pan. Cook together for another 10 minutes.
- Peel the onion, cut into half rings. Fry in a small amount of butter until golden brown. Add it to the broth. Cook Kharcho 7-10 min.
- Garlic skip through the press, shred greens. Add them to the soup along with salt, tkemali or tomato paste and spices. Some cooks recommend putting parsley in the dish at the very end. They advise doing this for 5 minutes. until ready.
Soup Kharcho is not just a dish, but a culinary reflection of the Georgian flavor. It is prepared very simply. If you want to try a traditional recipe, then for broth it is better to choose fatty beef. However, variations are permissible. Many housewives cooked kharcho on lamb and chicken. Understand that the dish is cooked correctly, you can see by sight and flavor. Kharcho is quite thick and spicy.