Kissel is a healthy and nutritious dish. Thick, fragrant, with a taste of berries, it is often served as a drink or sauce for cheesecakes, pancakes, waffles. Most often it is prepared from ready-made mixes that can be bought at any store, but their composition is very far from useful. It is much better to cook starch-based jelly on your own.
As a flavor component, taking jam or fresh berries, especially when it comes to baby food.
Features of delicious homemade jelly
Starch-based kissel can be prepared not only with jam, but also with fresh berries and fruits - such a replacement is often made by those who do not like very sweet dishes. There is no particular difference between these methods, the density of the final product is much more influenced by the direct thickener - starch. That he should pay attention in the first place.
- For this drink, potato starch is most often used: the liquid based on it turns out transparent, which is perfect for emphasizing the berry shade. However, options on the basis of corn starch are no less useful and tasty - with it dairy kissels are most often prepared, because the drink turns cloudy, but more tender and soft in taste, with a pronounced sweetness. You can also take wheat starch, however, if we talk about the value of each of the recipes, the kissel on wheat starch has the least.
- The principle of cooking depends directly on what starch was taken. If you are working with potato, after dilution, it is immediately poured into the syrup, pre-treating, not breaking into portions. Otherwise, the hard part will settle on the bottom, and bring the jelly to the desired thickness will not work.
- If you use corn starch, the drink based on it is boiled a little longer, but the consistency will be more uniform, there are no particular difficulties with lumps. Kissel on potato starch cannot be overexposed, otherwise it will become very liquid.
- How much to take potato starch per 1000 ml of fruit liquid? It depends on what consistency you want to get. Very thick, similar to jelly, will require 6 tbsp. with a slide, and slowly flowing down from a spoon can be done with 4 tbsp. For liquid and light, 1 tbsp is enough, for medium density - 2 tbsp. If you put 3 tablespoons, the consistency of the jelly will be similar to the consistency of drinking yogurt.
- When using corn starch, it is necessary to take into account that it differs from potato one in viscosity degree, therefore, the above volumes are doubled to achieve the same effect. Thus, for the most liquid jelly you need at least 2 tbsp. starch, and for very thick - only 10-12 tbsp.
It is worth noting that corn starch is more “heavy” than potato - the difference is 62 kcal, and if you consider that it goes 2 times more to jelly, you should not use such a drink daily if you follow the figure.
As for the sweet part of the dish - jam, here experts assure: there is not much difference between strawberry, cherry, raspberry or blueberry. Choose to your taste. In the absence of jam, it can be easily made from fresh berries or fruits in exactly the quantity required for work, as well as with the correct level of sugar. The main point not to be missed is the filtering of pieces of fruit and / or berries, which can degrade the texture, making it non-uniform. However, this nuance is also an amateur - someone, on the contrary, likes it when berries come across in a thick, tender mass.
The classic recipe for jelly jam and starch
This recipe is one of the easiest and most delicious, it requires only 20-30 minutes from you. free time. It is better to do a double portion at once - you will not have time to pour dessert into containers, as the home already eat everything. Due to the apples in the composition increases the density and satiety of the dish, and currant jam - the best source of ascorbic acid. Cold remedies are more difficult to come up with.
- Currant jam - 4 tbsp.
- Unsweetened apples - 3 pcs.
- Starch - 2 tbsp.
- Water - 1 l
- Citric acid - 1 tsp.
- Bring to a boil in a small high saucepan the water in the specified volume, peel and chop the apples, after removing the core from them. The pieces are best done very small, so that they are almost not felt when used.
- Give the drink 5-7 minutes. simmer on maximum power, then enter the jam in it. You can use not only black currants, but it is important that the berries were seedless. Cover the pan with a lid, reduce the power to medium, cook for 10-15 minutes.
- If it seems to you that it turned out too sour (this is possible when using green varieties of apples), add 1-2 tbsp to the pan. sugar or honey. And if you are cooking jelly for a small child, bake the apples in the oven beforehand.
- Now you need to dilute the starch in a separate container: pour 200 ml of compote obtained and continuing to boil there (without berries!), Cool to room temperature, then pour the starch in a thin stream while stirring the liquid. As soon as it becomes homogeneous, immediately pour it into the pan through a sieve. At the same time, it is necessary to continue stirring, but now compote is in the pan, otherwise the diluted starch will be grabbed by lumps.
Pour in citric acid and cook the jelly for 7-10 minutes. on low heat, allowing it to thicken, and do not forget to stir it occasionally to preserve the tenderness of the consistency. If you have taken corn starch, increase the cooking time by 3-5 minutes. It is recommended to serve the drink chilled to room temperature.
Thick raspberry jelly on milk
This recipe is ideal for further transformation of the drink into a dessert, since the consistency is very dense and perfectly freezes in the cold, can be used as a filling for cakes and waffles, pouring for cakes, as well as a binder in the dough. It is best to cook it with fresh fruits, which are boiled with sugar and citric acid, however, if desired, they can be replaced with favorite jam.
- Raspberry jam - 5 tbsp.
- Corn starch - 10 tbsp.
- Milk 3.2% - 800 ml
- Water - 200 ml
- Fresh berries - for decoration
- Heat the milk until it starts to rise in the pan, and add jam to it. On medium heat and without a lid, hold it for 4-5 minutes, stirring constantly, so that the milk does not run away.
- Preheat boiled water in a separate container, pour starch into it and, mixing, bring to homogeneity: the liquid will look like milk in structure and color. Pour it, without filtering, into the pan, cover with a lid.
- Cook the jelly for 10-12 minutes. over medium heat to boil weakly. After that, remove from the stove, pour into portions. If desired, pre-place there fresh berries, so that after they harden, they are inside.
- If you want to keep the jelly berries in jelly, strain the brewed compote through cheesecloth and bring it to a boil again before pouring the diluted starch into it.
It is worth noting that the taste of the kissel prepared according to this recipe on starch will depend entirely on the freshness of the milk: choose it so that the production date indicates today or yesterday.
Now you know how to cook jelly from jam and starch. On the basis of these recipes, you can prepare desserts and molded sweets, for which you only need to increase the amount of corn starch to 14 tbsp, and potato starch - to 7-8 tbsp. Cooked kissel is poured into selected containers, cooled for 6-8 hours and, if necessary, cut into slices, covered with sprinkling or icing.