Ciabatta - Italian bread, whose name translates as "slippers" and is caused by a flattened oval shape. However, it is not the only possible. The flavor and structure, which is not similar to others, remains unchanged - ciabatta has almost nothing in common with white bread.
Classic Italian ciabatta at home: recipe features
Yeast dough, from which ciabatta is baked, turns out to be bland and somewhat dry, since it is practically devoid of fats and flavor components. The main bunch, according to the traditional recipe, is water, salt, flour and yeast. Also, herbs are necessarily present, which turn the rather familiar composition of ingredients into a delicious fragrant mass. If, in your opinion, the dough lacks lightness, you can add olive (in no case sunflower!) Oil to the list of ingredients.
- Professionals note that the classic recipe of this bread implies a long (very long!) Kneading the dough: all the techniques that take 2-3 hours are lightweight - the dough settles for 15-20 hours, after which it is given more than once to "rest ".
The use of technology in relation to yeast dough is undesirable: it is very easy to "kill", as a result of which it will refuse to rise. For this reason, all the ingredients for ciabatta are kneaded by hand, and the bread itself is baked in the oven.
- Wheat sifted flour - 0.5 kg
- Boiled warm water - 220 ml
- Olive oil - 1 tbsp.
- Salt - Pinch
- Live yeast - 25 g
- Italian herbs - 1 tsp.
- Cut the yeast into pieces, cover with warm water, add 1.5-2 tsp. flour. After that, mix the liquid well to dissolve the yeast in it. In order not to form lumps, pour water in portions, and most importantly, monitor its temperature - 36-40 degrees are considered optimal.
- When the mixture becomes homogeneous, cover the container with a thick cloth or lid, leave in a warm and drafty place. Professionals recommend to clean the oven, which was previously heated to 35 degrees: the heat when the door is closed will last up to 4 hours. The dough itself should be suitable for 10-15 hours, so it is usually prepared for the night.
- If the conditions for the dough were selected correctly, in the morning you will see a mass with an abundance of large bubbles - almost the same as should appear in the bread itself. Now you need to pour salt, herbs and about 1/4 of the total volume of flour into it, then pour in olive oil and start kneading with a wooden spatula. Pros do not advise using metal.
- As soon as the mass starts to thicken, enter the remaining flour in portions. It is recommended to sift it 2-3 times to maximally enrich with oxygen and leave only the smallest particles. Knead the dough with your hands on a wooden surface: it should turn out very soft, tender and sticky to your hands, but easily lagging behind them.
- At the moment when the dough takes the form (all the ingredients are combined), you should stop kneading, so as not to knock out all the air from it. Give it a sausage shape, cover with a napkin or towel, leave for 1-1.5 hours.
- Now put the finished loaf on a baking sheet, preferably, covered with parchment, leave again under the towel for 20-30 minutes. and only after that, sprinkle with flour and send to a well heated (180 degrees) oven, to an average level.
Professionals recommend placing a flat stone on the grid under the pan, which will enhance the bottom heating and, therefore, affect the condition of the bread. The approximate baking time is 30 minutes, during which the door cannot be opened - otherwise the dough will drop and remain flat. The calorie content of ciabatta prepared according to this recipe is 262 kcal per 100 g.
Simple recipes for ciabatta bread maker
Despite the fact that this bread is not recommended to bake in the bread maker - both the traditional taste and the lightness of the structure are lost, those who have no experience with such a dough, it is indeed much easier to start with this technique. You do not need to knead and set up for a long time, you do not need to calculate time and look behind the glass - the smart machine will do everything for you. We offer some of the most interesting combinations of components for ciabatta in the bread maker.
- For 250 g of wheat flour, 5 g of dry yeast, a pinch of salt and sugar, 150 ml of water are taken. The ingredients are laid in the bowl, after which the dough mode is activated. After its completion, you must wait 2 hours without opening the bread maker, and then set the baking mode with a timer for 60 minutes.
- 150 g of wheat flour, 7 g of dry yeast, and 1 tablespoon each are added to 200 g of whole-grain flour. flax and sunflower seeds, 220 ml of warm water, 1 tbsp olive oil, salt and sugar pinch. If desired, you can replace the sunflower sesame. The cooking technology is identical: transfer all the ingredients into the bowl, mix and let rest, then bake for 60 minutes.
When working with a bread machine, you need to remember that all the dry ingredients are filled up first, and only after that the liquids are poured. Some of the bulk solids can be diluted first and then poured with liquids.
In conclusion, it is worth noting that the yeast for traditional ciabatta is recommended to use "live". Despite the fact that dry ones are considered less harmful, since they do not cause such an active fermentation effect in the intestines, it is difficult to achieve weightlessness and large “bubbles” that can be seen by breaking the real Italian ciabatta.