How do you sometimes want to crunch salty potato chips while watching a movie! But how much harm can this “food temptation” bring! When the hand reaches for the packaging of chips, almost every person will immediately ask themselves questions: what kind of potatoes were used here (without GMOs, or maybe just starch), how often did they change the oil during frying, and what seasonings were they put there?
No matter - chips in the oven at home - you can see from what is cooked and you know what you eat!
Not every potato is "honored" to become chips!
Before you cook the chips in the oven, make the right choice of potatoes. Many believe that this is not such an important issue, but experienced chefs know that the quality of food always influences the final result. So, potatoes can be of different varieties according to the content of dry mass. Some varieties are watery and well boiled soft, and some are not. So for chips you need to choose varieties with a high content of dry mass (not less than 20%), otherwise you will get just baked potatoes. For Russia, these are the varieties Snegir, Pushkin, Fairy Tale. From the Dutch varieties fit Lady Rosetta, Saturn. Ukrainian breeders bred a special variety for chips - Fantasia. You have chosen the uniform (not very large and not very small) tubers of the "right grade", and now learn the basic recipe of chips. He is capable of even beginners, as he is provided with step-by-step photos of cooking.
Low-calorie pleasure - chips from the oven!
- Potatoes - 5-7 tubers
- Sunflower or olive oil - 2-3 tbsp.
- Salt, pepper - to taste
- Peel the potatoes, wash them and cut them into thin slices (1-2 mm). It is best to use a special grater, but you can work with a sharp knife. Pieces that came out thicker, set aside, we will prepare them separately. Otherwise, something will burn, but something will be raw.
- Thin slices pour cold water, wash several times (to remove excess starch). We lay out on a paper or usual kitchen towel and we dry.
- We cover the leaf with foil or parchment, oil it and spread the potatoes in 1 layer. From above also we grease, using a silicone brush. Leave a leaf in the preheated oven to 160 degrees for 15-20 minutes. But time depends on your oven, this process needs to be controlled.
Sprinkle ready-made chips sprinkled with fine salt and pepper. Enjoy your meal!
Bacon-flavored chips without additives!
If you are a lover of chips with the taste of smoked meats, then you will have to taste this recipe. In addition, the proposed cooking option will significantly speed up the process and increase the number of snacks.
- Potatoes - 500-600 gr.
- Spices (dried basil, paprika, dried garlic powder, salt)
- Bacon (or hunting sausages) - 50-100 gr.
- Wooden skewers
- Preheat oven to 170 degrees.
- Soak the skewers in cold water (for 10-20 minutes), so as not to burn in the oven.
- We clean the potatoes and cut them into large and thin slices (1-2 mm). Wash in cold water and dry between 2 layers of towels.
- Cut into thin slices of sausage or bacon.
- Put the potato slices into a bowl and sprinkle with spices. Shake well.
- String potatoes on skewers and slice of bacon every 3-5 pieces.
- Set skewers on a deep baking dish so that their edges are on the sides of the mold, and the slices do not touch its bottom.
- We put in the oven for 20-25 minutes. Individually for each oven watch the time. If there is a convection function in the oven, the cooking time will be reduced by 2 times.
How to cook no less crispy and more useful chips at home: a few tips
- pick the right varieties of potatoes;
- Be sure to wash and dry the slices;
- dry potatoes of the same thickness and size;
- do not fold too tight slices on the leaf;
- experiment with seasonings and sauces for serving.