Anyone who has tried traditional Georgian cuisine at least once, was able to appreciate the incredible flavors and extraordinary taste of dishes. Its main components are hops-suneli, greens, tomatoes and meat. All this is used to prepare many Georgian dishes. One of the most popular is chakhokhbili.
Do not think that cooking requires chefs. Chakhokhbili prepares very simple. Everything will take about 20-30 minutes. In order to make a dish delicious, you need to follow a few rules.
How to cook chakhokhbili from chicken?
A few centuries ago, it was prepared from pheasant meat. Game was grown independently or caught on the hunt. Soon, other types of meat began to be added to the chakhokhbili. It turned out that it is easier to grow chickens, and not pheasants. Their meat is little different in taste, and the cost of its production is less. However, you can find recipes based on lamb and beef.
Despite this, a bird is always present in the classic chakhokhbili recipe. Of course, it's easier to use chicken. There are a number of requirements for chakhokhbili meat. It must contain a layer of fat. Therefore, it is worth choosing for Georgian chakhokhbili not only fillets, but also hips. It is best to buy a young chicken. Then the dish will be very tender.
You can save time and buy a stripped bird: thighs and fillets. Cooking chakhokhbili from whole chicken is allowed. In this case, you will spend a little more time. About 5-7 min. go on butchering the carcass.
Georgian Chakhokhbili in chicken is a meat stew with vegetables. Tomatoes and a large amount of onions are added to it. You can find recipes in which there is a potato. In fact, such digressions are quite appropriate. You can not just add tomatoes to the dish. Otherwise, it will not chakhokhbili.
Tomatoes for the dish should have a thin skin and juicy pulp. Then they after frying will turn into a basis for sauce. It is better that the tomatoes are steeped to a pasty state. When buying tomatoes for chakhokhbili, pay attention to the density and smell. Ideal - ripe vegetables with a sweet aroma. If you are going to prepare a dish in winter, it is better to opt for canned tomatoes. When cooking greenhouse vegetables do not reach the desired consistency.
The taste of the finished chakhokhbili also depends largely on the spices. Georgian cuisine is generally difficult to imagine without its flavors. The most common seasoning is hops suneli. It is perfectly suited for tender chicken in sauce. Literally, the name translates as "mixture of herbs." Georgian mistresses make it out of what grows in every local garden. Cilantro, mint, basil, parsley and other odorous greens are used. However, this seasoning can be found in any grocery department in the form of powder. When cooking chakhokhbili can use both greens, and ready hops-suneli. The taste of this will become even more saturated.
In Soviet times, it was believed that in Georgian chakhokhbili it was imperative to add white semi-dry wine. The traditional recipe says nothing about it. Therefore, this item can be respected or not complied with depending on their preferences.
Another feature is the large amount of onions per chakhokhbili. Whatever recipe you prepare for it, it should be 2 p. less weight of meat.
Chicken Chokes: A Step-by-Step Recipe
The key to successful chicken chakhokhbili is proper preparation. It comes down to several stages. The chicken is cut into portions, fried without butter, mixed with golden onions, and boiled over the mixture with the addition of tomatoes. Offers you a classic recipe chakhokhbili that will not leave anyone indifferent.
- Chicken or chicken (can be replaced with turkey) - 1 kg
- Onions - 2-3 pcs.
- Garlic - 1-2 cloves
- Ripe tomatoes - 4 pcs.
- Vegetable little - 2 tbsp. l
- Water - 250 ml.
- Greens and spices - to taste
- Cut the bird into pieces of medium size (like goulash).
- Put it on a heated pan without oil. Fry until golden brown.
- Onion cut into half rings. Preheat the other frying pan, pour the oil and fry it on it until half cooked.
- While frying the onion, remove the peel from the tomatoes. To do this, they can be blanched - drop for 30 seconds. in boiling water. Then let the tomatoes cool and peel. Cut them into small pieces.
- Fry the fried chicken in the pan with onions. Add to the mixture of water. Let stew for 2-3 minutes. Put in the same pan finely chopped tomatoes without skin.
- Chicken and vegetables simmer another 7-10 minutes. Add finely chopped herbs, spices, salt.
- Remove chakhokhbili from the fire and let it stand. So the meat will be soaked with sauce and will become even more tender. Serve hot. This amount is enough for 4 servings.
Modern version of the Georgian dish
Due to the fact that earlier chakhokhbili was prepared from a whole game carcass, liver, stomach, and heart were added to it. There is a modern variation of this Georgian dish with offal. It turns out chakhokhbili same tasty, as well as from meat.
- Chicken Liver - 400 gr.
- Tomatoes -4 pcs.
- Onions - 4 pcs.
- Vegetable oil - 2st.l.
- Greens (dill, cilantro, parsley, basil) - to taste
- Hops-chenille - 2 tbsp. l
- Salt - to taste
- We remove the skin of tomatoes. Wash vegetables and place for 30 seconds. in boiling water. Then cool them and remove the peel with a sharp knife. Chop the tomatoes.
- Pour some oil into a nonstick pan and set it on fire. When it is warm enough, lay out the sliced tomatoes.
- While the vegetables are stewing, chop the onion in half rings and add to the tomatoes. All together we cook about 7-10 minutes.
- Chicken liver wash under running water. Cut into large pieces. Add liver to vegetables. Together we simmer another 10 minutes.
- Carefully wash the greens, towel dry and chop. Add it to the liver and vegetables. Simmer the mixture for another 2 minutes. Salt dish and sprinkle hops-suneli. Simmer another 3 minutes. and turn off the fire.
- Finished chakhokhbili give a little stand, so that the liver is soaked with tomatoes and juice. The dish can be eaten as basic with croutons and bread.
It is very important to properly deliver chakhokhbili. In Georgia, meat dishes are eaten without side dishes. Traditionally they are served with vegetables. Due to the fact that there are tomatoes in the chakhokhbili chicken composition, it is possible not to cook salads. It is best to serve this Georgian meat dish with white bread or pita bread. However, you can eat chakhokhbili with familiar side dishes. It will go well with rice, boiled potatoes or pasta. Another variation suggests adding chakhokhbili to potatoes. It is cut with oval layers and stewed together with onions and tomatoes. Then add the meat. All together, cooks a little longer - about 30 minutes. This chakhokhbili very satisfying.
Thanks to Georgian chakhokhbili, the most ordinary lunch or dinner turns into a festive meal. Chakhokhbili can cook even an aspiring cook. After 20 minutes Your kitchen will be filled with unusual flavors. Preparing the dish is very simple: the meat is fried without oil and stewed with onions, tomatoes and spices. In order for chakhokhbili to be fragrant, it is better not to forget to add basil and hops-suneli.