Beef tongue has long ceased to be a delicacy of the holiday table. Many housewives use this product in the preparation of various everyday dishes: salads, borscht, meat gravy, pates and snacks. For those who want to pamper themselves and their family this delicacy, and our article is written. In it you can find not only the most delicious and popular recipes, but also tips from cooks on how to cook beef tongue correctly.
How to cook beef tongue: general tips
Before starting to study recipes, it is worth noting that cow's tongue is an excellent source of zinc, choline, vitamin B12 and other trace elements. So that the dish of beef meat is not only tasty, but also useful, experienced chefs advise you to use small tricks:
- When buying beef tongue, pay attention to its appearance. Fresh meat should be whole, without foreign spots and unpleasant smell.
- Readiness of the beef tongue can be checked 2 hours after the start of cooking. If the meat is easily punctured, then the tongue is ready.
- To cook the broth after cooking beef tongue can be used to prepare other dishes, carefully watch the foam and remove it from the surface of the pan.
- How to cook beef tongue so that it is soft? Experienced cooks advise to salt it only after cooking, otherwise the meat will come out harsh.
- To make it easier to separate the meat from the skin, after boiling the tongue should be dipped for 10-15 minutes in ice water.
A selection of the best recipes
Beef tongue goes well with fragrant herbs and spices. Very good for this dish are thyme, sage, dill and parsley. Beef tongue dishes simply amaze even the most fastidious gourmets. For example, you can try to cook a delicious casserole of vegetables in our recipe with a photo.
Beef tongue casserole with vegetables
- up to 1 kg of beef tongue;
- 400 g cottage cheese;
- 350 g of potatoes;
- 250 g of green beans;
- 1 large carrot;
- 1 cauliflower head;
- 1 tbsp. chicken broth;
- ¼ Art. ghee;
- 1 tbsp. l spicy mustard;
- 2 tbsp. greenery;
- ½ tsp salts;
- ½ tsp black pepper;
- ¼ tsp nutmeg.
- First you need to turn on the oven at 190 degrees for heating.
- Now boil cauliflower heads to half cooked. It is best to cook the cabbage steamed. With this method of cooking will be enough for 8-10 minutes.
- Peel and chop the vegetables while the cabbage is cooking.
- Transfer the prepared vegetables in a special dish for the microwave. Pour 1/3 of the broth, add a pinch of salt and cook for 3-4 minutes under the lid until they are slightly softened.
- Now prepare the cream sauce. To do this, 2/3 of boiled cabbage should be finely chopped in a blender.
- Add the remaining chicken broth, melted butter, mustard, herbs, salt with pepper and nutmeg to the ground mixture. Beat everything in high speed with a blender to a soft and smooth consistency.
- Boiled beef tongue cut into small pieces (if you have raw meat, then before cooking the casseroles, you need to boil it for about 2-3 hours).
- Grease a baking dish with butter and evenly spread the beef tongue pieces on the bottom.
- Top with a pillow of vegetables and grease all the prepared sauce.
- Repeat all layers until the ingredients run out.
- The final stage should go cauliflower, pre-disassembled into inflorescences.
- Smear the cauliflower with the remnants of cheese sauce. If you want to end up with a crispy crispy crust, then the dish from the top is best smeared with a slice of butter.
- Cooking a casserole in the oven for about 30-40 minutes, or until the cheese gets a beautiful golden hue.
- After the time the dish must be removed from the oven and left to "rest" for 10-15 minutes before serving.
Goulash recipe with boiled tongue
- 1 PC. beef tongue;
- 10 peppercorns;
- 1 bay leaf;
- 2 cloves of garlic;
- 2 medium bulbs;
- 3 tbsp. l sunflower oil;
- 6 pieces medium carrots;
- 8 tbsp. beef broth;
- ¼ Art. flour;
- ¼ Art. warm water.
- Put the entire tongue in a pan with high sides and cover with water so that it completely covers it by 2-3 cm.
- Add bay leaf, black peppercorns and whole garlic cloves to the tongue.
- Cook on low heat until cooked, for at least 2 hours or until the knife is easy to enter the meat.
- After that, remove the prepared tongue from the hot water and place in a bowl with ice. This simple technique will subsequently make it easier to separate the meat from the skin.
- After 10-15 minutes, blot the tongue with paper towels, remove the skin and cut the meat into slices.
- In the preheated butter fry the finely chopped onions and carrots until soft.
- After 2-3 minutes, add beef tongue pieces and half the broth. It is necessary to simmer meat with vegetables on low heat for about 10-20 minutes.
- In a separate bowl, mix the water and flour to a thick, lump-free consistency.
- Now you need to add the mixture to the pan, stirring constantly, and boil for another 5 minutes to eliminate the flour flavor.
- Ready goulash seasoned with salt and pepper and serve with a side dish of mashed potatoes.
Beef tongue homemade pate
- 300 g boiled beef tongue;
- ½ tbsp. mayonnaise;
- 1 tsp. salts;
- ½ tsp allspice;
- ½ tsp ground black pepper;
- 1 medium onion;
- 4 tbsp. l vinegar;
- 2 tbsp. l greenery.
- Homemade pate is done using a meat grinder, but if you have a powerful enough blender or combine, the cooking process is greatly simplified.
- So, install a meat grinder with a regular stuffing knife.
- Cut into large onions and boiled beef tongue.
- Carefully pass all ingredients through a meat grinder. If you want to get a very gentle and airy pate, then the meat must be crushed several times.
- Mix the onion and meat mixture with the remaining ingredients with a spoon.
- Cover the paste with cling film and refrigerate for 1-2 hours.
- Ready beef pate will be a great addition to snacks or sandwiches.
As you can see, it is not necessary to be afraid to cook beef tongue, because with our tips and recipes, this is quite simple. Be sure to treat yourself and your loved ones with the most delicate pate, fragrant casserole, or boiled beef tongue melting in your mouth.