The simplicity of cooking dishes of Caucasian cuisine is indisputable, and at the same time they manage to remain nourishing, fragrant and appetizing. Despite the fact that the components of most recipes are familiar to everyone, it is the technology and small nuances that give such obvious differences. Among the first dishes, Armenian khashlama stands out: meat stewed with vegetables, each with its own cooking characteristics.
Khashlama in Armenian: recipe with photos and recommendations
Classical khashlama, which can be found in Transcaucasia, is prepared on the basis of lamb meat, a little less often - an adult ram. However, there are also varieties of this dish on veal, and even less often - on beef. But the last option is not so tender, and in addition it takes much longer to prepare. If the lamb needs to be stewed for 3.5-4 hours, then it’s necessary to work with beef for about 5 hours.
- The main requirement for Khashlama - the meat in it should be very well steamed from the inside, remain juicy and soft. Therefore, it is not boiled, and stewed in a cauldron. You should also pay attention to vegetables: they should not be watery, "empty". This is especially true of tomatoes.
As for the traditional recipe of the Armenian khashlama, meat, onions, potatoes and greens are necessarily present in it. The remaining ingredients are added as desired. In particular, you can make a separate marinade for meat - for example, beer.
- Lamb meat - 800 g
- Onion - 2 pcs.
- Potatoes - 4 pcs.
- Cilantro, basil - to taste
- Bulgarian pepper (different colors) - 2 pcs.
- Spices - 1 tsp.
- Wash the lamb, cut into several large pieces. The peculiarity of Khashlama is that meat is not ground for it, but left as large as possible (or divided by the number of servings). In addition, these dimensions allow you to dry out without draining.
- Wash vegetables, cut large rings potatoes, peppers and onions.
- Cover the bottom of the cauldron or deep pans with thick walls with onion rings: this will not allow the dish to burn in the process. Spread the pieces of lamb on top and spice them well with salt and spices.
- Next place the potatoes and peppers, then repeat the "meat-vegetables" sequence. The number of layers depends on the volume of the container and the ingredients. But the last must be pepper: it will also become a protective layer that does not allow the remaining components to dry out.
- When all components of Khashlama will be placed in the cauldron, pour clean water (approximately 200 ml) there. Direct the jet along the wall so that it is not between the layers, but at the very bottom.
- Cover the cauldron with a lid, place it on the stove and set the average power under the hob. When the boil begins, the fire is reduced to a minimum, and for 3-3.5 hours the meat is stewed.
Before serving, khashlama must be flavored with fresh cilantro and basil.
How to cook beef khashlama on beer?
As for the modifications of this dish, beef khashlama recipes are the most popular: the algorithm of actions remains almost the same as for the classical variant, but the exposure time increases. In addition, beef is often stewed in beer or other marinade, but it should not include fats: Khashlama is a dietary dish that does not have butter among the ingredients.
- Beef - 1 kg
- Garlic cloves - 3 pcs.
- Tomatoes - 2 pcs.
- Onion - 1 pc.
- Celery (root) - 1 pc.
- Cilantro, black pepper - to taste
- Beer - 200 ml
- Cut the washed beef into several large pieces, put in a bowl, cover with beer and leave for 20-30 minutes. It is important that cartilage or bones are attached to the meat - this will make the dish more rich and satisfying.
- Peel the garlic, chop. Do the same with the celery root. Cut tomatoes and onions in thick circles.
- Spread onions on the bottom of the cauldron, on top of celery root and pieces of beef. Pour with pepper and other spices (optional), chopped garlic. Cover with tomatoes. Each layer must include the entire volume of a certain product: i.e. first all the onions, then all the celery, all the meat, etc.
- If the meat is very old, pour 100 ml of water into the cauldron. But most often beef khashlama is prepared without additional liquid, only in its own juice from vegetables. Put the container on the fire, bring the dish to a boil, then leave it under the lid for 5 hours. The fire should be weak.
Spread ready-made khashlama on deep plates in layers as it was laid in the cauldron. Serve with pita bread and herbs. Enjoy your meal!