The recipe for this delicious refreshing drink came to us from Circassia. The peoples of the Caucasus and Central Asia have been using ayran since ancient times. There are many ways to prepare a dairy product. Recipes vary depending on the area in which the drink is prepared. So, in hot areas they make liquid ayran, which removes thirst well, and nomadic people came up with a recipe for thick ayran, which is convenient to transport. Before use, add koumiss or milk to it. In many stores you can find factory-made ayran, but it is much worse in taste than home-made drink, and also contains a lot of preservatives. Preparing airan is quite simple, and in some way resembles yogurt.
How to cook ayran yourself?
The main components of this drink are milk and sourdough. The original use katyk - yogurt from boiled milk, boiled down to 1/3, and suzma - strained katyk, similar to sour cream. But you can make a drink with the usual yeast for yogurt or kefir.
In order to cook a delicious airan, it is enough to buy in the store unsweetened yoghurt of average fat content and density. Beat it with a mixer, adding a little salt and water (whipping should make a froth). If desired, you can add your favorite spices to the drink.
A simple recipe for ayran at home
- Goat milk (cow) - 250 ml
- Sourdough - 40 g
- Boil milk and boil a little. Make sure that it does not burn.
- Cool the milk to 40 degrees, add the leaven and mix.
- Place the mixture in jars and cover with lids.
- The drink will be ready After 6 hours. After this time, salt the ayran and drink it freshly prepared.
- As a starter, you can use kefir, low-fat sour cream or yogurt.
Ayran with fennel and fresh cucumbers
- Garlic - 1 slice
- Kefir (or unsweetened yogurt) - 1 l
- Fresh cucumbers - 2 pcs.
- Olive oil - 1 tbsp. l
- Fennel seed seeds - 1 tbsp. l
- Fresh mint - 1 tsp.
- Thyme - 1 tsp.
- Wash cucumbers under running water and rub on a fine grater without removing the skin.
- Add kefir, a little salt and mix until smooth.
- Continue stirring and at the same time add oil, herbs and fennel seeds.
- Chop the garlic in the press and add it last. Ready drink pour into cups and serve the same.
Ayran in Armenian
In Armenia, they are preparing a tan - one of the ayran species. This drink is considered the secret of health and longevity of the locals. The main ingredient is leaven. For tan use Bulgarian sticks or lactic acid streptococci. These starters are called "matsun" or "matsoni".
- Boiled water - 200 ml
- Sourdough - 200 gr
- Mix the sourdough and water in a bender or whisk with a mixer.
- Add some salt and whisk again. Delicious and healthy drink is ready!
- It treats diseases of the stomach and intestines, has a bactericidal effect and a beneficial effect on the human body.
Ayran: tasty and healthy
The drink has many useful properties, for which it is valued.
- To drink this product well in hot weather, it will perfectly remove thirst and restore the balance of salts and fluids in the body.
- Ayran contains many different amino and fatty acids that are very important for our body.
- The drink helps to strengthen the body's defenses, which is very important in the period of colds.
- Ayran contains vitamin C.
- Ayran can be drunk during the period of losing weight, as only 100 Kcal is needed per 100 g of the product.
- The drink restores the intestinal microflora and activates the secretory function of the stomach, clears the biliary tract. Therefore, it is recommended for people suffering from disorders of the stomach and intestines.
- Ayran helps restore health after intoxication, including alcohol.
- The drink has a tonic effect on the central nervous system.
- Drinking airan is also recommended in cases where it is necessary to increase blood flow in the tissues of the lungs, with insufficient supply of oxygen to various tissues and organs, to normalize muscle tone.
In order to fully experience the taste of this magic drink, take note of a few simple tips:
- In hot weather in Iran will not be superfluous to add a few pieces of ice.
- The drink, which had to be diluted with water, is not stored for a long time. The maximum shelf life in the refrigerator is 1 day.
- Sourdough and finished product can be diluted with boiled milk, mineral water without gas, koumiss.
- The drink can be supplemented with spices and herbs. For example, dill, basil, coriander, mint, ground paprika.
- You can put berries and fruits in unsalted ayran, they successfully emphasize its sweet-sour taste.
Such wonderful properties of ayran help a person to maintain their health for many years. Prepare this drink as often as possible! It will be an excellent substitute for harmful carbonated drinks. Your body will appreciate this, and will thank you for your excellent state of health.