According to one version, apple jam was first cooked in the Far East, and according to another - in Ancient Rome. But the opinions of experts exactly agree on one thing - the delicacy is rather ancient. In 1 AD, the first mentions of jam were found in the book "Culinary Issues".
The name of this dish is Polish, by the way, in Poland it is called "powidla". It is usually prepared from apples, peeled from rot and seed, and then boiled with sugar. For this delicacy, the fruits of sour varieties are the most suitable, because they contain more pectin, which in turn provides the best density. In order to give the jam a special taste and aroma, you can add cinnamon, cloves or other spices to it. And to give sourness, it can be seasoned with edible acid, for example - citric acid.
The consistency of this dish is homogeneous and dense. Often it is elastic, like jelly. But its color varies from light brown to dark brown. Jam is a very high-calorie product, because it consists of almost 60% sugar, but at the same time it is a useful dish. Dessert made from apples improves digestion. That's just need to use it in moderation, because it can cause dysbiosis, increase blood glucose levels, as well as add a few extra pounds. Also jam is not recommended for people with diabetes.
How much to cook apple jam?
In order to jam it, you need to cook it according to all the rules. Apples should be well washed, peeled, peeled, and finely chopped. And you can take and slightly damaged or overripe fruit, but in any case they should be soft. In the same porridge fruit can be processed by two methods: either with raw twist through a meat grinder, or grind through a sieve (you can also grind in a blender) in the already cooked form.
By the way, adding sugar to jam is not necessary, but if the apples were cooked without it, they must be sterilized. But if you still decided to add sugar, then it must be at least 60% of the total mass, otherwise the delicacy will ferment or be covered with mold. It is better to cook it in low and wide dishes, so the moisture will evaporate sooner, which will give the dish the best taste and color.
In the process of cooking, it is better to interfere with the delicacy using a wooden spatula, otherwise it may burn. Also, to prevent sticking, the sugar in the dish should be added after the mass thickens. On average, the jam takes about a couple of hours to cook. Its readiness can be defined as follows: run the spatula along the bottom of the pan, and if a path appears that will slowly fill up then the jam is ready. In the process of preparation, the volume of the total mass in comparison with the original will decrease by almost 2 times. The finished delicacy will need to be poured into sterilized cans.
In the classic recipe for jam there is one key point. After it has been poured into the jars, they need to be put in a preheated oven so that a crust forms on its surface. Nowadays, this moment is often skipped, but oddly enough, this method helps to preserve the product better.
Apples are one of the most beloved and popular fruits in Russia. You can eat them all year, and there are a huge number of varieties in nature! In addition, apples - very useful. A jam made from these fruits is perfect for home baking, because it is thick and does not spread. It is not difficult to prepare such a delicacy at home, but it turns out very tasty!
- Apples - 1 kg
- Sugar - 1 kg
- Water - 1 tbsp. (250 ml)
- First you need to select the right amount of fruit, wash them and remove the rotten places. Then peel the fruit and cut the hearts.
- Each apple cut into 4-6 pieces, cut into small pieces and put in a wide pan or bowl.
- After that, pour the water over the apples and put on fire.
- If you cook the jam in a low wide dish, the apples will retain their color and taste.
- Jam also needs regular stirring and if it burns, its color and taste will deteriorate a lot.
- After 30-40 minutes, sometimes in an hour, everything will depend on the sort of apples and their softness, the mass must be laid out on a colander and rubbed.
- Measure 1 kg of sugar and add to the mashed apple mass.
- Then the mass with sugar should be put on the fire and cook until the mass thickens, it may take from 40 to 60 minutes.
- By the way, to stir dishes, rubbed through a sieve, you need as often as before wiping. It is important to be careful, because the hot mass can splash heavily.
- While the jam will be prepared, you can prepare the banks. They need to be thoroughly washed and sterilized along with the lids.
- At the end of the preparation of jam, it must be hot decomposed on sterilized jars and roll them.
- The finished product will be perfectly stored in a cellar, a refrigerator or even in a locker at room temperature.
Apple jam from the oven
Such a delicacy as apple jam can be not only cooked on the fire, but also cooked in the oven. It turns out the dish is very tasty and thick.
- Apples - 1.5 kg
- Sugar - 700 g
- Water - 150 ml
- Wash fruits, peel and core. Then they must be cut into small pieces and put into a pressure cooker or stainless steel saucepan. Moreover, it is necessary to pour water into the container in advance so that the apples do not get burnt.
- Boil the apples on a low heat until they are soft.
- After that, the mass should be rubbed through a sieve or crushed with a blender, mixed with sugar and put the mass in a ceramic or glass baking dish and lid and put in the oven. Moreover, the oven should be preheated to 250 degrees, and after the mass begins to boil, the temperature should be reduced to 100 degrees and left for 3 hours.
- While the jam will be prepared, you can prepare the banks. After 3 h, you need to check the jam - if it has a red tint, it can be laid out in the cans in the hot state.
- After the layout of the product, banks need to roll up.
Apple jam is a unique delicacy. Its history has more than 2 thousand years, but the dessert does not lose its popularity even today. It is great as a supplement to tea, as well as for filling in sweet pastries.