How to cook the goose in pieces, so that the meat is soft, and how to work with an intact carcass? This question begins to torment the housewives as soon as the holiday approaches, since the goose has long been considered a bird for a special table.
Contrary to the stereotype that has been created, this is by no means an American tradition - even in ancient Russia, the goose was necessarily served at feasts, and in tsarist times it did not disappear from the festive menu. And, in spite of the fact that this bird is not as popular as turkey or chicken, it never hurts to have several "crown" recipes with its participation.
How to cook a goose with apples in the oven: an unusual recipe with photos
The goose baked according to this recipe has a very delicate taste, the tone of which is set by the filling. If you want to make it more tart, enter the list of ingredients berries lingonberries or replace apples with quince. At the same time, unlike traditional goose, the dish in apples is very satisfying due to the presence of mushrooms, onions and buckwheat, which makes it an excellent option for lunch.
- Goose carcass - 2.5-3 kg
- Sour apples are not large - 4-5 pcs.
- White mushrooms - 120 g
- Onion - 1 pc.
- Buckwheat - 50 g
- 3-4 cloves of garlic cloves
- Natural Greek Yoghurt - 70 ml
- Cardamom - 1/2 tsp
- Nutmeg - 1/2 tsp.
- Sage - 1/2 tsp
- Butter - for frying
- Salt - to taste
- The most important stage, at which the attention of professionals, is the preparation of poultry for baking. The final result depends on how closely you react to it. First of all, the goose should be well washed and gutted, remove the fat from the neck and cut off the tail. The skin is recommended to leave, because otherwise the meat can dry out in the oven. But if you want to get a lighter dish, remove it, and bake the carcass itself in foil or sleeve: then it will cook evenly.
- Now you need to do marinade: mix Greek yogurt with cardamom, nutmeg, sage and chopped garlic, treat the bird well from the top, rub it with salt from the inside, then wrap in foil and put it in the refrigerator for 3-4 hours.
- At this time, you need to prepare the filling: throw the washed buckwheat into the boiling water, add salt, cook under a lid over medium heat until the liquid has completely evaporated. The ratio of water and dry product is 3: 1. Wash and chop the mushrooms, chop the onion; fry these ingredients in butter over high heat, stirring constantly, until golden brown. Then add boiled buckwheat to them and simmer for another 10-12 minutes under the lid.
- Wash and slice 2 apples into large slices. Try not to shrink, as they quickly become soft and lose their shape, coming into contact with goose fat, so that you risk getting applesauce instead of fruit pieces. Connect the sliced apples, from which the core was removed, with the contents of the pan.
- Unfold the foil, make a cut in the carcass along the lower abdominal zone, and through it insert the prepared filling into the bird. Make sure that it is not too much: about 1/3 of the internal space should remain free. Sew the edges with a thick thread or connect with wooden toothpicks, located at a distance of 1-1.5 cm from each other.
- Wrap the wings and legs of the goose (parts departing from the carcass) with foil - this will save them from burning. Then wrap the bird itself with a new sheet of foil, leaving no gaps. Put it in a deep pan, put in a preheated 200 degree oven. 40 min timer
- After the specified time has passed, remove the foil from the bird, place the grid above the counter where the goose will now be baked. In the pan, pour 200-250 ml of boiled water. Continue to bake the dish at a temperature of 190 degrees, every 30 minutes. turning over the carcass. The total cooking time at this stage is 1.5 hours.
Most often, 2 hours is enough for the meat to fully reach readiness, and the bird itself has acquired a brown tint and characteristic crust. But if this was not enough, you can increase the time by another 40-60 minutes, lowering the oven capacity to 170 degrees. When ready for a puncture, the goose will secrete a clear juice, and the raw goose will give off pinkish. For 15-20 minutes before the end of the procedure, it is recommended that the remaining apples be cut into quarters and spread out over the grate so that they also become soft.
The recipe for cooking goose slices in Italian
It is much easier to bake a bird in a cut form than to work with a whole carcass, if only because it is possible to use less meat and not to worry about the size ratio of the oven and the bird itself. You can cut it in two ways: either disassemble it into its component parts, or cut off all the meat from the bone. The latter option is ideal for cooking roasts when you need to mix meat with vegetables and / or cereals, while maintaining the same size of all ingredients. And if the goose is the central object of the table, it is better to break it into legs, wings, breast, etc.
- Goose carcass - 3 kg
- Sheet lettuce - bunch
- Cherry tomatoes - 8-10 pcs.
- Fresh basil - for decoration
- Dry white wine - 150 ml
- Liquid honey - 50 ml
- Provencal herbs - 2 tsp.
- Sea salt coarse grinding - 2 tbsp.
- Wash and gut the bird, undress with a kitchen hatchet or a sturdy large knife. Rub each piece with salt, pour wine and refrigerate for 5-6 hours. If possible, leave for 8-10 hours: professionals advise to marinate the goose in the evening, and continue to work with it in the morning.
- Pestle with Provencal herbs, mix with honey, process the poultry skin using them, wrap each piece in foil, and place in an oven warmed to 190 degrees for 90 minutes.
- After the specified time, unfold the foil, lay the pieces of the bird on the grid or baking sheet, bake for another 40-50 minutes, occasionally turning it over so that the crust appears evenly. Before serving, wash and slice the cherry tomatoes in halves, garnish the dish with fresh basil, and cover the bottom of the plate with fresh leafy lettuce.
This recipe allows you to use any side dish with meat, without creating a conflict of tastes. If you do not like to use alcohol, you can replace it with pomegranate juice in the same volume.
Basic rules for working with a bird
Most often hostesses are looking for a way to cook the goose in the oven so that the meat is soft and juicy? Often it happens that the skin has already started to crackle and become brown, and the inside of the meat is still pink, poorly divided into fibers. Or, the tender meat in the middle, but hardened to the edge, and the skin burned down. Why is this happening and how to prevent it?
- First, check the oven operation parameter: all heating elements should be included (ie, its heating elements), and the form, baking tray or grid with the bird should be placed exactly in the middle. Shifting down or up causes a portion of the meat to receive less heat and cooking is uneven.
- Secondly, take care of the marinade: if you do not want to distract attention from the filling or side dish that accompanies the bird, make the simplest water-based mixture with apple cider vinegar or lemon juice. In such a liquid, the carcass should be kept for at least 2-3 hours, and it is better to extend this period to 5-6 hours. Ideally, the goose is pickled for 12 hours, during which it is kept in a cold place.
But as far as fat is concerned, it is undesirable to add it: the goose is not a diet bird, and processing with butter, mayonnaise or sour cream leads to the fact that the fat content of the dish rises, and along with it its absorption deteriorates. Experts advise to pay attention to sour and salty foods as the basis for the marinade: it can be citrus fruits, savory berries and fruits (lingonberries, currants, etc.), previously mentioned vinegar, dry wine, soy sauce.
- Spices for this bird are perfect saffron, marjoram, sage, savory, rosemary. You can turn to tarragon, thyme, and the most versatile are parsley and dill, basil, thyme. They rub the carcass, not only from the outside, but from the inside.
- If you want to achieve very soft, literally melting in your mouth meat, bake the goose not entirely, but in pieces: at the same time, it can be divided into parts (like an ordinary bird - breast, thighs, etc.), and can be cut into slices as thick as 4-5 cm. In the latter case, the dish will cook much faster.
- If you want to get soft juicy meat from an intact bird, make cross-sections along it at a distance of 7-10 cm from each other, 3-4 cm deep. Insert pieces of vegetables or fruits baked with goose into these slots. Best of all, if they are very juicy - slices of oranges or lemons, pineapples, etc.
Also important is the method of roasting: the goose, which is prepared in a closed container, will be more juicy than the one that was in the zone of constant air exchange, as well as low humidity. Therefore, from the point of view of professionals, the most preferable is foil, a roasting sleeve, ceramic forms with a lid, which are additionally coated with dough on top, "concrete" places of air passage. And so that the ready dish still has a crisp, the goose is shifted to the grate for 10-15 minutes. before the end of cooking, and include the "grill".