Potatoes - the most frequently appearing vegetable product on the dinner table, which takes part in almost all the first and second dishes, and is also used for salads and even baking. It is easy to cook in conditions of lack of time, especially if you do it in the oven.
And in order to get the most healthy dish, you should use foil: in it the potatoes will remain soft, even if you do not use butter, sour cream or mayonnaise.
Quick and easy: hearty potatoes in foil
The most traditional and uncomplicated version of potato baked in foil, which does not require extras for itself and can be a separate dish, belongs to Italian cuisine. These are fragrant bars under herbs and olive oil, which, for their simplicity, are magnificent even on a festive table. From the volume of ingredients below, 2 medium portions are obtained.
- Young large potatoes - 5 pcs.
- Fresh basil - bunch
- Dried oregano - 1 tsp
- Dried mint - 1/2 tsp.
- Nutmeg - 1/2 tsp.
- Salt large - 1 tsp.
- Olive oil - 3 tbsp.
- Garlic cloves - 2 pcs.
- Dried thyme - 1/2 tsp
- Wash and clean the potatoes, divide it into halves and throw in boiling salted water. Boil for 15 minutes. over medium heat, covered with a lid.
- In a deep frying pan, warm the olive oil, rub a sheet of fresh basil in your fingers, so that it releases the juice, and throw in the oil. After 1.5-2 minutes remove and discard. In the pan in its place, send the coarsely chopped garlic cloves, fry until they soften, and then also remove and discard.
- Turn off the heat under the pan, add all the seasonings to the oil, including salt, and leave for 1-2 minutes. Remove the half-cooked potatoes from the pan, cut them into large cubes, put them in the pan, turn them over several times, soaking in spicy mixture. Then, together with this liquid transfer to the foil.
- Bake at a temperature of 180 degrees for 30 minutes. At the end, open the edges of the foil (5-7 minutes before readiness), allowing the bars to redden.
The dish is recommended to serve with fresh basil leaves. The seasonings specified in the recipe can be varied at your discretion, and some experts recommend adding tomato paste (not ketchup!) To the spicy mixture.
Stuffed Juicy Potatoes
This way of cooking vegetables is great not only to make stews or similar mixtures of it: You can bake the whole potato in the oven - it will be baked in a foil much more evenly than in any closed form. That is why quite often a similar technique is used for stuffing potatoes and other large hard-shelled vegetables: zucchini, peppers, pumpkins, etc. This dish does not require special serving and is perfect for a holiday table.
The filler can be absolutely anything, but professionals advise to choose the one that does not require particularly long preparation: these are various cheeses, sausage, ham, bacon, and vegetable combinations. If you want to use cereals, fish or meat, they must be made half-ready before being placed in potatoes.
- Large young potatoes - 5-6 pcs.
- Canned corn (grains) - 120 g
- Red beans - 100 g
- Sweet pepper - 1 pc.
- Cherry tomatoes - 3-4 pcs.
- Soft cheese - 150 g
- Mayonnaise - 2 tbsp.
- Garlic cloves - 2 pcs.
- Fresh herbs for decoration
- The most important point is the choice of potatoes: it must be very good, without damage, eyes and dark spots, since it will not be cleaned outside so that the original shape of the boat is preserved. Wash it with a brush, pat dry with paper towels, cut it in half in a dividing line. Scrape out the middle with a small knife, leaving 0.6-1 cm thick edges.
- If canned beans, shake it with corn from a jar in a colander, let the liquid drain. If you had to work with dried grains, soak them in cold water for 3-4 hours, then transfer them to a saucepan with cold water, boil for 5 minutes. and cook 60-70 minutes. over low heat, stirring occasionally.
- Wash peppers and tomatoes, cut into small pieces. Mix with beans and corn. Add half of the grated soft cheese: it is best to use Mozzarella, which in the hot state gives beautiful stretching threads.
- The remaining half of the cheese should be mixed with mayonnaise and chopped garlic cloves, then put a "cap" on each potato boat. Wrap them separately in foil, tightly clamping the edges, and send in a preheated to 170 degrees oven for 45 minutes.
It should be noted that baking the whole potato is possible not only in this form. For example, if you want to add only bacon or layers of cheese to it, bake peeled potatoes (20 minutes at a temperature of 160 degrees), then make transverse cuts in them, put the pieces of filler there, rewrap the potatoes in foil and bake another 20-25 min
How to bake potatoes for salads?
If the potato is an ingredient in salads, it should be well crushed, and also remain soft. Thus, it is impossible to do without refueling, in which it is kept for some time. In this case, the components must be "consonant" with the fact that later fall into the salad. In fact, such a potato baked in foil in the oven is the simplest and somewhat tasteless, as an independent dish does not fit, but can also serve as a side dish, if you think of a sauce for it.
- Potatoes - 3-4 pcs.
- Sour cream - 3 tbsp.
- Salt, pepper - to taste
- Dill - bunch
- Wash the potatoes, make a cross-cut and boil in boiling water without salt for 5-7 minutes. Remove the skin from it, cut into quarters.
- Rub each of them with salt and pepper, treat with sour cream, sprinkle with dill, wrap in foil. Bake at 160 degrees for 35 minutes. Potatoes will be very soft, crumbly, easily cut later.
Instead of sour cream, you can use butter or vegetable oil, if the salad does not involve the addition of a dairy group, and the potatoes should only shade the flavor of the other components.
Features of working with potatoes and tricks of professionals
By and large, it is easiest to cook potatoes in foil, since in this method it is very difficult to make a critical mistake, thereby ruining the dish. But nevertheless quite often hostesses have questions on the process.
- How much bake potatoes in foil in the oven? Time depends on the variety, and on the age of the product, and, of course, on the steps that preceded baking. If you work with raw potatoes, in addition, not cut with a knife, it will take quite a long time to prepare it - about 60 minutes. If you cut the same potato into sticks, the time will be reduced to 40 minutes. Pre-boiled product can be baked for 10-15 minutes.
- How not to overdry potatoes in the oven? Foil usually maintains a high level of humidity, so the probability of getting “chips” at the outlet tends to zero, but nevertheless, professionals advise you to pour 50-100 ml of water into the foil and turn the pieces 1-2 times in the baking process. And, of course, make sure that the edges of the foil are very tightly connected.
Finally, it is worth emphasizing that no matter what form you choose for the dish, make sure that the potato pieces are the same size: otherwise they will not be cooked evenly. And try to place them at a short distance from each other for faster and proper baking.