One of the most popular side dishes that exists in the world is considered to be mashed potatoes - a very tasty and seemingly easy-to-cook dish. Nevertheless, this process (or rather, its result) still requires knowledge of some subtleties, including the answer to the question of how much to cook potatoes for mashed potatoes.
How much to boil potatoes for mashed potatoes?
Each of us quite often meets with mashed potatoes in the daily and in the festive menu. However, everyone will agree that this dish is not always obtained equally airy and tender. What is the secret of making mashed potatoes? One of them is in the time you devote to boiling potatoes. It will depend on the way in which the root vegetable is prepared. But on average, potatoes in a saucepan reach the desired condition in 30-40 minutes. True, it is necessary to take into account the number of vegetables and the size of the pan: the more potatoes, the wider the dishes should be. The classic recipe involves the addition of full-fat milk.
Potato Mashed Potatoes Recipe
- 1 kg of potatoes;
- 40-50 g butter;
- 1 tbsp. homemade milk;
- We clean the skin off the potatoes, rinse well with cold water.
- Each potato is cut into halves. If the vegetable is large, then it is possible to quarters.
- Put the potatoes in a wide saucepan and pour cold filtered water 4-5 cm above the level of the vegetable.
- We put on medium heat and cook for about 25 minutes from the moment of boiling.
- In a separate pot, melt the butter and heat the milk.
- Push the soft potato with tolkushka, salt it, pour in milk and butter, mix it vigorously. Puree ready. To give an even more appetizing look, you can add finely chopped dill.
How many minutes to cook potatoes for mashed potatoes in a slow cooker?
Those who cannot imagine their life without a slow cooker will be interested in the preparation of potatoes in this useful device. The number of ingredients is the same as for boiling in a saucepan, and it takes about half an hour.
- Peeled, washed and halved potatoes are laid in a multi-cooker bowl, filled with water.
- Select the mode "Quenching" for 30 minutes.
- Melt the butter in a separate bowl, heat the milk.
- From the finished potatoes, pour the broth, salt, add milk, butter and carefully push through. Puree ready.
How much time to cook potatoes on mashed potatoes in the microwave?
The microwave is also a great way to cook mashed potatoes in just 7 minutes. Only one caveat: if you have guests scheduled, you will have to cook in two steps, since more than 400 grams of potatoes cannot be loaded into the microwave oven at a time, otherwise it will not be boiled down.
- 400 g potatoes;
- 2/3 Art. homemade milk;
- 30 g of melted fatty oil;
- salt, spices.
- Peel potatoes, cut into small squares.
- In the capacity for the microwave lay out the potatoes, fill it with water half.
- We set the power of the furnace 700 W and cook for 8 minutes.
- Pour warm milk and soft butter into the finished potato, add salt and push up with tolkushkoy. Puree ready.
The subtleties of the choice of potatoes for mashed potatoes
In addition to the need to comply with the time frame of cooking, it is equally important to choose the right type of vegetable. Granular, friable grades are considered to be the best for boiling. The fact is that they have more "viscosity", which is absolutely necessary for mashed potatoes. That is, if you take the "Blueglaze" or "Blue", the dish is guaranteed to be very tender and light.
Specialists in molecular culinary, so popular nowadays, argue that for mashed potatoes it is equally important not only how much to cook, but how to make potatoes. Therefore, they recommend some methods of boiling and cooking vegetable garnish.
- To get out of the potato starch surplus, you need to put the peeled vegetable in warm water for 30 minutes.
- Salt can not fall asleep after boiling water: the vegetable will lose its airy texture. Better to do it in the process of pushing.
- The most harmonious combination is obtained if hard cheese or homemade sour cream is added to the potatoes.
- You can mash a beautiful shade with ½ tbsp. beetroot juice added to the finished dish.
- To enhance the taste of potatoes allow various spices, for example, dry mustard, horseradish. A pleasant bitterness will appear if you add 1 tsp. lemon peel or lime.
- Before serving, you need to whisk the dish.
- To mashed potatoes did not lose ease the next day, you should make it with a consistency resembling sour cream.
- If you are slightly overdone with milk, then you can put mashed potatoes on a slow fire and boil for 10 minutes.
Knowing how much to cook potatoes for mashed potatoes, the rules for choosing a vegetable variety and some cooking nuances, you can be sure that you will always have a tasty and satisfying side dish on hand. And experimenting with additives, you can please and surprise your loved ones with such a familiar, but each time with a new dish.