Who are not familiar honey cakes? This recipe is on a par with grandmother's pancakes soaked with memories of childhood, warm milk for the night and cozy gatherings in the circle of loved ones. In the old days, along with the gingerbreads, honey gingerbreads were served at the festive table, and today they can be made just for evening tea to enjoy this greeting from the cloudless past.
Honey gingerbread: a recipe for a classic delicacy
In their form, honey cakes are more like big, thick flat cakes, rather than the small rounded buns that are in the assortment of any bread shop. From a honey cake, the pieces were broken off, the whole cake, like a pie, could be satisfied with a family of 3 people.
In the name of the dish laid the main ingredient, which it is characterized by: honey. If the gingerbread is often mixed into jam, then in honey cakes, such a replacement was not allowed, and today is not welcome. In the original recipe, originating in 10, the dough consisted of flour (in most cases - rye), juice of berries and honey. Of course, there were no clear proportions - they interfered until the dough received an average degree of thickness. Then spices began to be added to bring something new to the taste of the flour product. And only in the 18th - 19th centuries, when honey cakes began to be produced on an industrial scale, the recipe underwent significant changes. In some algorithms, little remains of the original composition.
Until now, rye is considered the best flour for honey cakes, but it is worth mentioning here that it is contraindicated for people with gastritis of any kind and increased acidity of the stomach. Therefore, in the presence of these problems, the gastrointestinal tract is recommended to take simple wheat flour and mix oatmeal into it, observing a 4: 1 ratio.
Honey is acceptable to pick up any, but liquid priority, because it is easiest to mix it in the dough. If you use already sugared, you will need to heat the required amount in a water bath. In the lean original recipe from the components of the known sugar, usually replaced by molasses.
The ingredients were prepared in such an amount as to obtain a downed, plastic mass without lumps. She was crushed with her hands and left for 15-20 minutes, then laid out in a mold and cleaned in a preheated oven. The classic non-lean recipe implied the presence of eggs, of which yolks were valuable, and fresh milk.
Flavors were chosen to taste: in addition to the usual today, vanilla was often used cardamom, ginger, nutmeg, cloves, star anise. Sugar was injected into the dough, if there was no molasses. And when laying out the dough, it was sometimes arranged in layers, between which candied or dried fruit would wake up.
As you can see, baking powder or soda was not added to honey cakes, but they still came out a little porous and soft, not turned into a flat cake. This was facilitated by the combination of honey and sour cream or kefir: they were introduced into the dough a little - up to 100 g. Otherwise, the density of the carrot was replaced by the lightness of the biscuit, which is not entirely correct.
In addition, the consistency of the finished dough was influenced by the method of preparation. Custard gingerbreads were mixed on the powder syrup, which was kept hot during the whole time (it was in a water bath), then cooling to 30 degrees occurred, and the mixture was kept at that temperature for 24 hours. Today, this time is reduced to 8-10 hours. And in the recipe of raw gingerbread, the proportion of honey increased, and the dough was prepared with a temperature of 20-22 degrees.
Honey gingerbread: a recipe with photo design
- Flour - 450 g
- Honey - 200 ml
- Butter - 45 g
- Egg yolks - 2 pcs.
- Baking Powder - 1 tsp.
- Spices - to taste
- First, honey is poured into the metal container, then the yolks, spices and oil joined together.
- The mixture is whipped, supplemented with flour and baking powder, after which it must be kneaded by hand and left for 20 minutes. warm. Proper in its density, the dough easily takes the necessary form and does not bleed, but it remains soft.
- Those who do not like to use butter and sugar in the dough can offer a similar recipe for honey cakes, which taste is no different from the original, but more suitable in terms of lightness of the food. Rye and wheat flour is taken in a proportion of 1: 1, 250 g each; liquid honey needs 250 ml, and warm water - 100 ml. Ground ginger, cinnamon and orange peel are poured into the dough in an arbitrary quantity.
- As soon as the mixture becomes homogeneous and slightly brightens, it is removed in a cold place for 40-45 minutes, and then rolled, divided into portions and baked for 15-20 minutes in a preheated oven.
- What spices to add to honey cakes? The most popular combination of cinnamon, nutmeg and cloves in the ratio of 6: 2: 1. In addition, if you wish, you can pour some ground nuts or raisins into the dough, take any dried fruits, candied fruits and even poppy seeds. Nuts are necessarily calcined in a frying pan, and in the absence of rye flour, they add burnt sugar to the dough to give it a characteristic brown color.
- But the most attractive is the berry filling, which is made from the juice of any berries, mixed with sugar and warmed to the marmalade consistency. You can add skins and pulp to increase the thickness of the mixture.
- If you make portioned cakes, their thickness should not exceed 5-6 mm, and it is recommended to form a rounded hemisphere instead of a flat cake. If you want to make a full gingerbread on the whole baking sheet, then the layer is rolled out, whose thickness is 1-1.5 cm.
- On the shelves you can see painted honey cakes, which have not only a fancy shape, but also attractive glaze patterns. They are easy to arrange the surface, even at home. To this end, it is required to prepare sugar syrup: 0.5 kg of sugar is poured into the pan, where 0.3 l of cold water is added. The mixture should boil and boil over medium heat until thick, not frozen sweet.
- After that, 5 egg proteins are gently whipped to a state of fluffy and strong foam, then they should be slowly introduced into the sugar syrup. Since at this moment proteins also need to be whipped, it is recommended to work on syrup together. The final stage is added lemon zest, gingerbread cookies are made with icing and sent to the oven to harden the drawings.
Persian gingerbread with honey: a recipe
The Persian gingerbread in the recipe is similar to the honey that was baked in Russia, but the honey in it is much less and it is used as a glaze. But the share of sugar and eggs increases in parallel with the decrease in the amount of oil. Such gingerbread on the texture and friability are close to dairy cakes, but they do not contain milk. And it is easier to cook them than classic Russian gingerbreads.
- Flour - 250 g
- Sugar - 200 g
- Butter - 1 tbsp. l
- Egg yolks - 3 pcs.
- Vanilla sugar
- Sugar is pounded with butter. Egg yolks are whipped with 1 tsp. vanilla sugar and introduced into the sugar-oil mixture.
- The sifted flour is then poured. Moreover, if the Russian honey cake was rye, in Persian it is better to use wheat without any other additives.
- The creators of the original recipe propose to add ground cardamom (0.25 tsp) to the finished dough, but if you don’t like it, you can replace it with an attractive spice.
- The dough turns out to be thicker than for the gingerbread, it is easy to roll out and cut out with forms, it does not stick to the rolling pin and hands without additional flour.
- The baking sheet must be oiled or covered with parchment. The oven warms up to 175 degrees, the forced convection mode is set.
- Baked gingerbread for 10 minutes. If rolled out to a thickness of 1 cm.
- After the gingerbread has cooled, their surface is treated with liquid honey, and it is given time to freeze. If desired, you can sprinkle the products with roasted ground nuts.
Honey gingerbread - the perfect choice for the New Year's table, if you want to cook something from the Slavic cuisine. To make them more elegant, it is worth preparing colored glaze, almond petals, chocolate and decorative food beads. In addition, if you pre-make a hole in the gingerbread figure, you can skip the ribbon into it, which will catch on the Christmas tree branch. And the original toy will appear on the New Year tree!