Many housewives tend to pamper their households with delicious desserts. Honey cake with sour cream has been considered the favorite delicacy in our country for more than one century. The classic recipe for this cake was invented in the 18th century by the Russian pastry chef of Emperor Alexander I.
A few words about the secrets of home baking
The recipe for "Medovika" with sour cream for so many years has undergone a number of significant changes. In the classic version, for the preparation of shortbread, sifted wheat flour, honey, eggs, melted butter and sugar are needed. Despite the fact that we all use the same recipe for baking the cake "Honey cake" with sour cream, the taste of this pastry for each housewife is significantly different. What is the secret of making delicious home baking?
Here that experienced confectioners advise us:
- The dough for the cake should be kneaded correctly and be sure to brew it in a water bath.
- On the water bath we melt butter, honey, granulated sugar.
- To make the dough airy, add fresh lemon juice or baking soda, previously slaked with 9% vinegar.
- Before heat treatment the prepared dough is frozen for half an hour.
- Korzhi necessarily roll out thin layers and give them the desired shape.
- Bake these cakes should be no more than 3-5 minutes, because they instantly acquire a characteristic golden color.
- We do not lubricate the form or baking sheet, but only crush the sifted flour.
- For the preparation of the cream, use high-quality fat sour cream and whip it with powdered sugar.
- There are many variations of sour cream: with nut or chocolate notes, with fruit, etc.
- If you want the cakes for Medovik to be moist and slightly loose, sprinkle them with a mixture of syrup, brandy, tea or compote before applying the cream.
- The optimum temperature for baking is 180 °.
- Cutting cakes can be used to decorate the cake.
- So that when baking the dough does not swell up, billet of the cake should first be pierced with a fork in 2-3 places.
Lovers of the classics note
Let's try to cook "Honey cake" according to the classic recipe. It is this step-by-step recipe of "Medovik" with sour cream that will allow you to touch the history of Russia and go back to the times of the emperors' rule. As already mentioned, this method of baking honey cake was invented in the 18th century. By the way, this recipe is unique in that you can replace butter with high-quality margarine. Kneading dough and baking cakes will take no more than one hour. But the impregnation takes about 9 hours.
- 1 tbsp. l liquid honey;
- 2 tbsp. sifted flour;
- 2 tbsp. sugar sand;
- 125 g butter or margarine;
- 2 pcs. chicken eggs;
- ½ tsp baking soda, quenched with vinegar 9%;
- 0.4 kg sour cream.
- In a deep bowl lay out 1 tbsp. sugar sand.
- Mix it with honey, creamy softened margarine and eggs.
- All components are kneaded until a state of uniformity, then add baking soda, previously quenched with 9% vinegar.
- Add the sifted flour and carefully knead the dough.
- Spread the dough evenly on a baking sheet, the bottom of which is pre-filled with baking paper.
- We bake the cake in the oven for 15-20 minutes at a temperature of 220 °.
- In a separate bowl lay out sour cream and mix it with the remaining sugar.
- The consistency of the cream should be very liquid.
- Remove the baked cake from the pan, cool it a bit and cut it lengthwise into two equal parts.
- Give the cake the desired rectangular shape, cutting off the edges with a sharp knife.
- We spread the first cake on the dressing and richly soaked with cooked sour cream.
- Spread the second cake on top and soak it with plenty of cream. Do not forget to properly lubricate the sides of the cake.
- Put the remaining trim in a mortar or bowl and carefully chop it into a crumb. You can use a food processor or blender.
- Sprinkle the cake with crumb and send it in the fridge for 8-9 hours to soak.
- After the allotted time has elapsed, cut the classic "Honey cake" with sour cream into portion pieces and serve to the table.
Currant pudding for Honey cake: easy and tasty
If you want to surprise your guests or demonstrate your pastry skills to your family, try the usual honey cake with sour cream to diversify. This can be done with the preparation of an unusual and very tasty cream, or rather, currant pudding.
- 0.4 kg of sifted flour;
- 270 g of creamy softened butter;
- 0.4 kg of sugar;
- 3 tsp. food gelatin;
- fruits of black currant - to taste;
- 10 g dry granular or powdered yeast;
- 0.6 liters of milk;
- 0.4 kg sour cream;
- almond nuts - a small handful;
- pudding - 1 pack;
- 150 ml of honey;
- 2 pcs. chicken eggs.
- In a deep bowl pour 120 g of milk and dissolve the yeast in it.
- Then we pound chicken eggs into the milk mixture, add 90 g of granulated sugar and about half of melted butter.
- Add the sifted flour and carefully knead the dough.
- Mixed dough set aside for about half an hour.
- For the impregnation of honey cakes, we need to prepare a delicious and unusual syrup.
- To do this, in a separate bowl mix the chopped almonds, the remaining melted butter, honey, 200 g of sugar and about 3 tbsp. l sour cream.
- Next, roll out the dough into layers. You can bake all the dough with one whole cake and then cut it into pieces.
- Sprinkle the bottom of the baking sheet with sifted flour and spread it out with a uniform layer of dough.
- Pour the prepared syrup on top of the dough and distribute it over the entire surface of the cake.
- After 20 minutes, send the pan to the oven, heated to a temperature threshold of 180 °.
- In the meantime, make currant cream pudding.
- In a separate bowl lay out the currant fruit, sour cream, add the remaining sugar and milk, as well as dissolved gelatin.
- All components are thoroughly whipped using a blender or mixer.
- We send cooked cream pudding briefly in the fridge.
- The cooled cakes grease profusely with currant cream and leave to soak for several hours, preferably overnight.
"Honey cake" in 5 minutes: myth or reality?
Believe me, you can bake a delicious Honey cake with sour cream in a matter of minutes. To do this you need a dry frying pan. Yes, we will bake cakes in this way. You can make a cream according to your favorite recipe by mixing sour cream with powdered sugar. For such cakes, custard is also excellent.
- 50 g of creamy softened butter;
- 1 tsp. baking soda;
- 50 g of liquid honey;
- 4 things. chicken eggs;
- 3 tbsp. sifted flour.
- In a separate container, mix creamy softened butter, granulated sugar and liquid honey.
- Put this mixture on the minimum fire and melt to a liquid state.
- Beat the eggs in a separate bowl.
- We add the beaten eggs and baking soda to the prepared mix.
- Pay attention to the fact that it is best to add eggs to a slightly cooled mass, otherwise they may curl.
- On a water bath, bring the mixture to the appearance of a characteristic foam and set aside.
- Add sifted flour to the liquid base and knead the dough.
- Dry frying pan is heated to the maximum, and in the meantime we roll out the right amount of cake layers.
- Bake cakes in a pan without the use of butter.
- Baked cakes richly and evenly coat with sour cream.
When baking your favorite honey dessert, do not forget to take into account all the tips of experienced pastry chefs. You can use the classic recipe for making cakes for various fillings and creams. Honey cakes perfectly harmonize with puddings, mousses, whipped cream, fruit and syrups. Enjoy your meal!