Goulash is a dish of Hungarian cuisine known all over the world thanks to its exquisite taste, nutritiousness and ease of preparation. Our recipes will help housewives who want to offer Hungarian beef goulash to their relatives or guests, our recipes will help you find “your” variation of the stew meat taste.
The name of the dish comes from the Hungarian word "guiyash" - "shepherd". So called shepherd's soup, which over time fell in love with even the representatives of the royal dynasties. This nourishing dish, according to tradition, is stewed on a fire in a huge cauldron and has a thick texture. At home, goulash is easy to cook using a conventional frying pan, but the meat must be chosen correctly. To keep pieces of beef not tough, it is best to use a scapula or sacrum.
Hungarian beef stew: a classic recipe
This recipe is still strictly observed by lovers of the classic version of the dish: tomatoes and green pepper give beef specific flavor and aroma.
- 0.6 kg of beef;
- 0.5 kg of potatoes
- 2-3 medium sized tomatoes;
- 1 onion;
- 4 cloves of garlic;
- 45 g of lard;
- 5 pieces. green or sweet yellow pepper;
- 40 g dry paprika.
- Beef should be washed, let it dry and cut into pieces.
- Onion cut into cubes, put on a heated pan with Smaltsev and fry to a translucent appearance.
- Pour into the pan 1 tsp. paprika and immediately put the meat.
- Roast beef for 2-3 minutes. As soon as a golden crust appears, pour water until it covers the meat. During cooking, replenish the amount of evaporating liquid.
- Slice the potatoes and tomatoes into slices, and the pepper into strips and add the meat, almost done until cooked.
- Mix everything and simmer another 15 minutes without adding water.
- Put in a goulash potato wedges and garlic mass.
- Cover the pan and simmer on very low heat, stirring occasionally.
- Salt, season with spices.
- When the goulash is cooked, sprinkle with chopped dill, cover again, turn off the hob and wait 10 minutes.
Hungarian goulash soup
Fans of experiments can take advantage of a modified recipe that is replete with spices and includes additional ingredients that make the taste of the dish more saturated.
- 0.5 kg of beef;
- 140 g pork belly;
- 0.8 l broth;
- 480 g potatoes;
- 2 pcs. sweet pepper;
- 500 grams of tomatoes;
- 2 onions;
- 2 garlic cloves;
- 20 g ground paprika;
- salt, hot pepper, cumin, herbs - at will.
- Washed and dried beef cut into small pieces, and pork - into small cubes.
- Peeled potatoes "cut" into large slices.
- Chop the hot pepper pulp.
- For 2 minutes, dip the tomatoes in boiling water, and then remove them, remove the skin and divide the flesh into pieces.
- Fry the brisket in a deep frying pan over medium heat until fat is melted.
- Take out the meat and fry the onions on the resulting fat. Add cumin and a little paprika to it, stir every minute.
- Put the beef meat in the pan, mix everything, increase the heat and cook, stirring for 7-8 minutes.
- Fill the pan with broth so that the liquid level is 2 cm above the level of the main product.
- Stew goulash on low heat for about 1.5 hours, stirring and pouring broth.
- Put potatoes, garlic and hot peppers in a pan.
- Stir thoroughly, make the fire stronger and wait 6-7 minutes.
- Salt, add sweet peppers and tomatoes, warmed broth residues, which should cover the contents.
- 20 minutes after boiling, when the potatoes are soft, remove them from the stove, cover with the lid and wait 15 minutes.
- Decorate the soup with greens.
Cooking with Yulia Vysotsky
Gaining experience, the hostess brings notes of creativity to classical schemes and begins to amaze acquaintances with new tastes. An example of a successful interpretation of the recipe can serve as a sharp and fragrant goulash from Julia Vysotskaya.
- 0.6 kg of beef meat;
- 0.7 kg of potatoes;
- 3 onions;
- 4 cloves of garlic;
- 1 Bulgarian pepper;
- 2-3 pods of hot peppers;
- 10 g of cumin;
- 60 grams of dry sweet paprika;
- 3 tbsp. l lard;
- salt to taste
If desired, add green onions and parsley.
- Heat the lard on the pan until the fat is completely melted, and then remove the greaves using a skimmer.
- Peel a fresh piece of beef, cut it into squares and fry on heavy fire until golden brown appears.
- Cut the onion into cubes and add to the meat.
- After 5-7 minutes of roasting on moderate heat, sprinkle the beef with cumin and garlic.
- Take the bell pepper, sliced straws, paprika and at the same time put in a cooked dish.
- Pour the contents of the pan with boiling water or vegetable broth.
- Cut the potatoes into medium-sized cubes and after boiling, dip them into the steaming mass along with the hot pepper rings (remove seeds from the pepper first).
- Salt the dish, cover with a lid, make the fire minimal and simmer for about half an hour.
- Remove the cooked goulash from the stove and leave to infuse for 20 minutes.
- As a condiment to the goulash you can serve the pods of hot pepper.
Cooking Hungarian beef goulash is not difficult, especially if you have a detailed recipe with a photo. The field conditions in which the idea of creating a dish originated can be easily replaced by home conditions using familiar kitchen utensils. Beef goulash is universal: it can be served as a first or second hot dish.