What dish appears before your eyes when it comes to large feasts, arranged in Russia? Of course, baked goose with apples, decorating the center of the table. Once it was exclusively a meal of privileged estates, but today it is quite possible to cook it not only for a celebration, but also for the most ordinary lunch or dinner, to pamper your family.
The main thing is to know how to bake the goose in the oven correctly, without overdrying the meat, and with which it can be served.
General principles of roasting goose in the oven
In general, working with this bird is not too different from the algorithm of actions with chicken or turkey, but some nuances should be taken into account.
- Remember that the goose necessarily removes the tail and fat from the cervical region: there is no sense in them, and their presence can have a very negative effect on the overall taste.
- To make the meat tender, it is recommended to bake the bird in foil or sleeve. If you want to send it to the oven open on the rack, in 50-60 minutes in advance. Boil in salted boiling water.
- How long to bake the goose in the oven? It can be cooked in pieces quickly in 40-60 minutes, however, if you decide to serve an intact carcass, and even stuff it, you will have to wait at least 1.5 hours for a small bird, and 2-2.5 hours for big.
- It is important to remember about the correct temperature mode: it is recommended to bake the goose in several stages - first, hold at very high power (200-220 degrees) for about 15-20 minutes, and then reduce the heat to 150-170 degrees and cook according to the time frame above. .
- Due to the fact that the goose is baked for a very long time, it is recommended that the wings be cut or covered with foil, otherwise they will burn. The same applies to the lower thighs.
If you have the opportunity, start preparing the poultry 2-3 days before it is served at the table: rub it with spices and place in the cold. This technique will allow you to get a fragrant crust, even if you remove the oily skin from the carcass.
Baked whole goose in the oven: recipe with photos and recommendations
The number of apples depends on their weight - if you use large fruits, 2-3 pieces are enough, for smaller ones the figure increases to 5 pieces. Also consider the size of the goose: if the bird weighs more than 2 kg, you should take a larger volume of ingredients by 20-30%.
- Goose carcass - 1 pc.
- Unsweetened apples - 4-5 pcs.
- Prunes - 100 g
- Tomato paste - 350 g
- Ground black pepper - 1 tsp.
- Dried basil - 1 tsp.
- Powdered paprika - 1 tbsp.
- Mayonnaise or sour cream - 3 tbsp.
- Salt large - 2-3 st.l.
- Soak the bird in the water for 1.5-2 hours, cut along the chest and abdomen so that it can be fully opened. Wash well from the inside, rub with salt inside and outside, leave for 20-30 minutes.
- Peel the apples, remove the cores from them, cut into large semicircular slices. Prune steamed with boiling water, then cut in half along each berry.
- Into the tomato paste add paprika, basil and pepper, put on the fire, pour in 50 ml of boiling water, then 7-10 minutes. on weak power under the hood.
- Fry the goose slightly open, smear the tomato sauce from the inside, using about 1/2 of the total volume of the sauce. Spread the apple slices on top so that they are only in the center, occupying 1/3 of the square. Spread prunes between them. Then cover with leftover tomato sauce, re-lay the apples and prunes.
- Close the bird, returning to its original shape, sew around the place of the cut with thread, making short and frequent stitches. The quality of work at this stage depends on the integrity of the finished dish.
- Grease the surface of the goose with sour cream or mayonnaise. If you are worried about the figure, do not follow this step: the bird’s own fat content is enough to not become too dry.
- Wrap the stuffed goose in foil or a special baking sleeve, close the edges well. Place on a deep pan, place in an oven preheated to 180 degrees for 30 minutes. After this time, reduce the temperature to 160 degrees and bake for 1.5 hours. If you have forced convection enabled, 150 degrees is enough.
Before you get the bird, you can give it a more active color: open the sleeve or foil, you can remove them completely, leaving the goose on the baking sheet, and keep it in the oven for another 10 minutes. at a temperature of 200 degrees. It is important that the carcass lay back up and be at the top level of the oven. By the same principle can be cooked in the oven goose with potatoes or other vegetables, as well as stuffed with cereals.