Back in Ancient Russia, one of the favorite delicacies of both adults and children was pies. And the dough for them was prepared solely on yogurt. Such pies turn out air and porous. Today, many housewives prefer to cook pies on kefir, fried in a pan or baked in the oven. We will tell you the secrets and the best recipes for such baking.
Fried kefir pies: culinary tips
As you may have guessed, pressed or dry yeast will not be needed to prepare the dough. The role of the catalyst and baking powder perform kefir. If you have sour milk in the fridge, it will be a great alternative to store yogurt. At first glance it seems that there is nothing difficult in preparing the dough on a kefir basis. And many housewives throw up their hands at all and laugh when they hear that it is possible to cook dough on kefir in a special way.
Let's explore the tips of experienced chefs and housewives:
- the basis for the test should be kefir with a fat content of at least 2.5%;
- the amount of granulated sugar depends on the filling: if it is sweet, the proportion of sugar increases proportionally;
- first you need to beat the chicken egg to a foamy state, and then add sugar to the resulting mass;
- kefir, table salt and baking soda should be added to the sugar-egg mixture;
- sifted flour should be poured gradually into about 1 tbsp. l., most importantly, do not overdo it, otherwise the dough will turn out too thick and knocked down;
- the consistency of dough for pies, cooked with kefir, should resemble the dough for fritters;
- During the formation of the patty, hands should be covered with flour abundantly, and a portion of the dough spread out of the total capacity with a spoon;
- so that the dough does not remain on the spoon and does not stick, it can be moistened in warm or hot water;
- cakes also need to be spread onto the surface, abundantly sprinkled with flour;
- dough on kefir doesn’t like drafts, so close all windows when making pies;
- kneaded dough must be insisted, so that, as they say, to disperse, it will take no more than 30-40 minutes;
- pies from dough cooked on kefir can be fried in a pan or baked in the oven.
The recipe for delicious pies with cabbage
From the dough made on kefir, you can bake pies with various fillings. Delicious, juicy, appetizing and hearty turn out pies with sauerkraut. For the filling, you can put out fresh white cabbage.
- sugar - 1 tbsp. l .;
- fatty kefir or sour milk - 0.5 l;
- ½ tsp salts;
- sifted flour - 0.5-0.6 kg;
- baking soda - 1 tsp;
- fresh carrots - 1-2 pcs .;
- 2 onions;
- 2 chicken eggs;
- sauerkraut - 1 kg;
- dry yeast - ½ tsp .;
- vegetable oil.
- First you need to prepare the filling. For this, the bulbs need to be cleaned, chopped and fried in sunflower oil.
- Carrots must also be peeled, rubbed and browned separately from onions.
- In a frying pan, mix the browned vegetables and add sauerkraut. Cabbage mass must first be squeezed out to eliminate excess liquid. The filling should be browned for 10-15 minutes.
- When the filling is ready, you need to set it aside and do the kneading of the dough.
- In a deep enamel or glass container, pour kefir or sour milk, and then whisk with a whisk to form characteristic bubbles.
- In kefir mass need to drive two chicken eggs and again mix everything with a whisk.
- Then to the resulting mass, add sugar and half a teaspoon of salt. And again everything should be whipped.
- Next, in the egg-kefir mass, you must add table soda and again mix everything.
- Flour must be mixed with dry granulated or powdered yeast and added in small portions to the slurry.
- The dough should be light and porous. From the dough should form cakes and slightly roll them.
- In the middle of the cakes should be laid out the filling and blind edges of the pies.
- In sunflower oil, fry the patties until a golden crust appears.
- For the filling, boil the potatoes and pound it to the consistency of mashed potatoes. You can add a little fried onions or cracklings.
- In a deep glass enamel or glass container, mix eggs, granulated sugar, kefir or yoghurt, salt, vegetable oil and baking soda.
- All components must be thoroughly mixed to obtain a homogeneous mass.
- Gradually add sifted flour to the liquid base. The dough should be alive and slightly sticky.
- From the dough you need to make small cakes and slightly roll them.
- In the middle of the cakes, you need to lay out the filling so that it does not flow out of the edges, and make cakes.
- Fry pies with potato filling should be in vegetable oil. The amount of butter in the pan should cover the pie to about the middle.
If you do not have dry or fresh yeast on hand, and you so want to surprise your household with exquisite and tasty pastries, try cooking fried pies on kefir without yeast. Such pies are perfectly combined with any sweet, salty or smoked filling. In addition, they will be airy, porous and very delicate in taste.
- fatty kefir or sour milk - 0.5 l;
- sifted flour - 600-750 g;
- 1 pinch of salt;
- sugar sand - 1 tsp;
- 1 chicken egg;
- soda - a small pinch;
- 3 tbsp. l vegetable oil.
- As already mentioned, you can use any filling according to your preferences. We will tell you how to prepare the dough without yeast quickly and without hassle.
- In a deep enamel or glass container to sift the flour, salt and soda. All dry ingredients should be mixed.
- In the resulting mass in the middle it is necessary to make a dimple with your fingers and hammer a chicken egg into it.
- Also in the recess should pour non-cold kefir or sour milk and vegetable oil.
- At the next stage, sugar should be added to the dough.
- Using a spoon or a whisk, you need to mix all the ingredients, and then continue kneading the dough with your hands.
- The dough without the addition of yeast should be light, porous and non-sticky.
- Knead the dough can be left for 15-20 minutes to make it infused.
- From the dough should form balls and roll them.
- In the middle of the so-called tortilla, you need to lay out the cooked filling and mold the edges of the pie.
- Fry such patties should be in vegetable oil. Please note that they roast fast enough, and that the cakes are not burnt, do not do other things at the same time. Experienced chefs advise you to first blind the entire portion of the pies, and then fry them.
Dough for kefires is one of the easiest and most affordable options. A newcomer to the culinary business will be able to make such a pastry dough on his own. The uniqueness of the above recipes lies in the fact that you can use absolutely any filling. Enjoy your meal!