Many people call figs fig, fig tree or tartarberry figs. Those who were at sea, certainly tried the soft, juicy figs. The taste of ripe fruit - honey and sweet, but dried figs, which are sold in stores have a different taste.
Figs - a storehouse of vitamins, it has an antibacterial effect, lowers cholesterol and contains a lot of iron. This is the fruit that is needed in the diet of the elderly, but those who are on a diet should not forget that it is very high in calories.
Figs are a seasonal fruit, so housewives try to prepare fig jam for the winter. Many people like to dilute the sweetness of figs sour lemon.
Ingredients of fig jam:
- Figs - 1 kg
- Sugar - 1 kg
- Lemon juice - 1 tbsp.
- Rum - 1 tbsp.
Cooking jam from figs:
- Figs washed several times in warm water, dried on a towel and cut the tails. Then you can cut the berries with a cross, crumble into circles or skip through a meat grinder.
- Figs are poured with sugar, mixed and left for a couple of hours to let the fruit juice. Be sure to cook the jam in an enamel pot so that it does not oxidize. Do not leave it for a long time, it can ferment.
- And when there was enough juice, it is necessary to pick up the jam, constantly stirring it with a wooden spatula. If there is foam, it must be removed, as sand and dirt go away with it, if you have not properly washed figs. Add lemon juice and rum, boil and leave to infuse overnight jam.
- In the morning, boil it, stirring well, and leave for another 6-7 hours so that it will be well candied. If you do not intend to leave fig jam before winter, you can cook it twice.
- But on the third time it is necessary to boil jam from figs until it thickens. You can determine if the jam is ready like this: scoop syrup with a spoon and watch how it flows, if it froze in the third drop, it means it's time to take it off the stove.
- Ready jam can not be covered so that it is not soaked with liquid, otherwise in the winter you can see mold in the banks. But rum is added for better storage.
See also:How to make jam in a slow cooker?
The finished jam has a rich color, it is thick and sweet to taste, one might say, honey. If you want to close it for the winter, then wait until it cools down, and spread it on sterilized jars. And if you cooked it for every day, keep it in the refrigerator.
Cook jam with pleasure, enjoy your meal!