In ancient Russia, dishes made from wild birds were always appreciated. Such food was served as the main one, and the people called it “lordly”. Not a single celebration in Russia was complete without game dishes. Especially often found on festive tables was food made from wild birds that were hunted: partridges, quail, black grouse, wild ducks and other game. If a wild duck fell into your hands, then you should know: from it you can make a unique dish!
How to choose a wild duck?
Wild duck meat is a very capricious product. It can turn an ordinary soup into a culinary masterpiece, but it can also hopelessly spoil a dish, because not every bird is suitable for human consumption. In order not to be mistaken with the choice, you need to know the criteria for choosing a duck.
Mallards and Teals - The meat of these ducks in the culinary field is highly valued. The average weight of a mallard varies from 1 to 1.5 kg. Teals weigh much less - only 300-500 grams. Hunting them is allowed in a strictly limited period of time, from August to November. In early spring, you can hunt drake with a decoy duck.
The most delicious dishes prepared from this type of ducks, fried and stewed. If you are on a hike, then it is appropriate to bake a wild duck on the grill on the fire. In extreme cases, of these birds cook soups.
Diving ducks. The weight of the red-nosed diving is 1.5 kg, the weight of the rest of the birds barely reaches 1 kg. Meat diving birds soaked with the characteristic smell of fish. This fragrance can be eliminated in the following way: skin is removed from the duck, subcutaneous fat is carefully removed, and the bird itself is soaked in strong marinade for 24 hours. If this is not possible, then cold water is used for this purpose.
The most succulent meat in gogol and red-headed dive. These birds do not need to remove the skin. Such meat is best cooked with spices. Cooking method - any, except cooking. Supys such a bird is not cooked.
How to cook a wild duck in the oven?
- Ducks have enough fat meat. Therefore, before you put the bird on the fire, you need to pierce it in several places, so much of the fat will flow out of it.
- Rub the duck's surface with spices - salt and pepper. The more salt on the duck's surface, the more pleasant the crust will crunch.
- The duck is best cooked on a baking tray. If you do not have a lattice, but you still want to cook the bird in this way, then the lattice can be made of several foil leaves rolled up with a cord. This is done so that air circulates around the duck better.
- If the duck weighs less than 1 kg, then it should be baked for about 50 minutes at a temperature of 230 aboutC. Also, for the entire cooking period of the duck, it must be poured over 3 times with its own juice, which stood out during the cooking process.
- Before you cut the duck and serve it to the table, you need to let it stand for 20 minutes.
- After the duck is cooked, collect all the fat released from it in a glass dish and refrigerate. This fat is stored for two to three months, and is used in the preparation of potatoes.
Wild duck: cooking recipe
- Wild duck carcass weighing up to 3 kg
- Dry red wine - 1 tbsp.
- Thyme - 1 sprig
- Rosemary - 1 sprig
- Juniper berries - 1 tsp.
- Oranges - 2 pcs.
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Remove the pre-soaked duck carcass from the marinade, rinse and dry inside and outside.
- Remove the zest from the oranges and carefully remove the white layer. Peeled oranges cut into pieces.
- Grate the duck on all sides with a mixture of salt and pepper. In the abdomen of the duck put the berries of juniper, rosemary, thyme and oranges.
- Sew a belly with a culinary thread. You do not need to completely hammer the duck, leave a little space, because as a result of cooking the filling tends to expand.
- In the form where you will bake the duck, pour the wine, and put the duck breast up there.
- Preheat oven to 200 aboutWith and place in it a baking sheet with a duck.
- If you want to get a very tasty duck, then turn the carcass every 20 minutes, periodically sprinkling it with the remaining wine or orange juice.
- Cooked duck served immediately on the table along with potatoes and sauerkraut.
Wild Duck Soup
- Wild duck carcass - 1 pc.
- Potatoes - 2 pcs.
- Onions - 1 pc.
- Chicken Egg - 1 pc.
- Wheat flour
- Bay leaf
- Salt - to taste
- The diving duck has a pronounced fishy smell, which is difficult to get rid of. Therefore, in order not to spoil the dish, give preference to a bird of other breeds - a mallard or a teal.
- If the carcass of a duck is of a large size, it is necessary to cut it into portions, if it is small, you can cook it whole.
- Pluck and gut duck, pour cold water and put on a medium heat to boil. After the broth has boiled, reduce the heat and cook the bird for another 30 minutes.
- From flour, eggs and a pinch of salt knead the stiff dough. Wrap it in cling film and leave for 15 minutes.
- Throw peeled and chopped potatoes into boiling broth. While it is boiling, roll out the dough and cut into thin noodles.
- Once the potatoes are ready, add diced onion to the noodles soup (it can be added raw or fried in vegetable oil).
Salt the soup, add bay leaf and other spices to taste. As soon as the soup begins to boil, remove it from the stove and let it stand under the closed lid for 3-5 minutes so that the noodles “reach”.
- Oven Baked Duck
- How to cook a wild hare?
- Hot dishes on the holiday table
- How to cook a duck in a slow cooker?
- How to cook elk meat to be soft?
- Beaver Meat: Benefit and Harm
Wild duck meat is a product that can turn an ordinary dish into a royal treat. The main thing is to cook it correctly. With our recipes, this is easy to do. A little effort - and on your table is a dish that can satisfy the taste of the most demanding gourmet!