Soiled hands, a little tart sweetness - that's what comes to mind when you think of chokeberry. Delivered to Europe only in the 19th century. from North America, black chokeberry, as it is also called, is not only useful. From it you can make delicious homemade wine, tinctures, jams and preserves.
Probably everyone knows what the black chokeberry looks like - a low sprawling shrub whose fruits ripen in autumn. Before you use mountain ash for culinary purposes, you should find out how and when it is harvested, what is the peculiarity of its preparation. The most important thing is to collect ripe berry. Usually mountain ash begins to darken in late August, but this does not mean that it is ripe. It is better to wait for frosts in October - only after them the berry acquires the same sweetish taste. Another way to find out if the fruit is ripe is to crush. The color of the juice of ripe mountain ash should be deeply ruby. Fresh berry can be stored for a long time - it contains pectin and other substances that prevent the development of microbes. By the way, this, and also mn. other properties of Aronia have a beneficial effect on the human body. In aronii a lot of vitamin P, almost 2 times more than in currants, there are tannins, iodine, the amount of which is 4 times more than in strawberries. It is useful to eat mountain ash with increased pressure, for the prevention of atherosclerosis. The only contraindications are the presence of peptic ulcer, aggravation of gastritis, problems with the duodenum.
Black chokeberry wine
In order for you to get aromatic wine from chokeberry, you must comply with the technology. It is best to cook it from pulp - cheered berries. Of course, you can do it just on the juice, but in this case the taste will not fully reveal.
- Rowan - 5 kg
- Sugar - 1, 5- 2 kg
- Clean berries put in a container, which can then be closed with a lid (a large pan or flask is ideal). We crush the berries and add sugar to them (for 1 kg of berries, 0.5 st. Of sugar). Berries with sugar, cover with a lid and put in a warm place to wander for 10 days. The mixture must be periodically stirred. After 10 days you will see foam on the surface.
- Also on the surface will float pulp - fermented rowan berries. They need to collect hands, wring out the juice. Berries can be thrown away. Juice is passed through a sieve into the same tank. Next, give the drink to wander for another 5-7 days. In order to accelerate the process, you can build a special container with a water seal.
- In the process of fermentation, the future wine may precipitate. It must be carefully removed (for these purposes, the juice can be drained through gauze folded in several layers).
- The finished wine is bottled, corked and shipped to a dark place. Serve it as a dessert. Also from wine black chokeberry comes a wonderful mulled wine, which will help prevent colds.
Tincture of black chokeberry
Tincture of chokeberry is also very easy to prepare. Its basis is vodka. The taste and aroma is drawn out of the berries with alcohol.
- Chokeberry - to taste
- Vodka - 800 ml.
- Water - 100 ml.
- Sugar - 200 gr.
- Prepare a three-liter jar. We wash it and dry it thoroughly. The container must be clean (you can even sterilize it). We put rowan in the can, carefully tamping. Berries pour vodka.
- We close the jar with a plastic lid and send it to a bright place for 2-4 months (it is better to substitute something under it so that the tincture flows during fermentation into the container).
- After 2-3 months, pour through the gauze into a separate dish. Prepare sugar syrup for the fortress: mix sugar with water and warm to a state of syrup on low heat.
- Cool the syrup and pour in the tincture. Ready drink bottled, corked and put in a dark cool place. The resulting tincture of chokeberry will have about 40 degrees of strength.
We suggest you try making incredible chokeberry jam, in which almost all the vitamins are stored. It not only has a stunning aroma, but also a rich color and taste.
- Chokeberry - 1.5 kg
- Sugar - 1.5 kg
- Apple juice -300 ml.
- First you need to make the berries more tender. To do this, pour water into a saucepan, boil and blanch in boiling water for 1-2 minutes. Water is drained, while ensuring that the berries are not crushed. Next, pour sugar into the pot and pour it with juice.
- Turn on the fire and boil the sugar to a state of syrup. Put the blanched black chokeberry into the resulting syrup and boil for 5 minutes. Remove the pan from the heat, let the jam cool and leave to stand for 24 hours.
- After 24 hours, bring the black chokeberry jam to a boil. Still hot spill on dry clean banks. Cover them with plastic covers and set them in a cool place. Such aronia rowan jam is stored for a long time.
Another easy way to make jam is to grind it with sugar. To do this, 1 kg of pure mountain ash skip through a meat grinder or blender. Then mix it thoroughly with sugar and place in clean, dry jars. To preserve the jam well at room temperature, put the jars in a saucepan with water and sterilize for 10-15 minutes. The ground sterilized rowan jam can be stored at room temperature.
In addition, from chokeberry can be cooked delicious candied candied fruit.
- Chokeberry - 1 kg
- Sugar - 1 kg
- Water - 1 tbsp.
- Rinse mountain ash thoroughly rinse and allow it to drain. Put sugar in a separate pan and pour a glass of water. Mix. In another saucepan, pour the water, bring to a boil and blanch the berries in it for 1-2 minutes.
- Next, take the mountain ash out of the water (you can put them in a colander and let the water drain) and put them in sugar syrup. Cook them in syrup for about 20 minutes, stirring and ensuring that the berries remain intact and not dry. Then they need to be thrown back into a colander and drained syrup into a separate container.
- Put boiled rowan on parchment paper, let cool and sprinkle with sugar or powder. Allow the candied artichokes to dry thoroughly and place in a glass jar. The resulting candied fruit can be used as a filler in muffins and cookies, replacing them with raisins.
- The resulting syrup can also be used for culinary purposes. Keep it better in the refrigerator.
Chokeberry is not only tasty, but also a useful delicacy. It has a lot of vitamins. Black chokeberry jam can be used not only as a dessert. It successfully replaces sugar. It is also very tasty to add plums or nuts to black chokeberry jam. Additional ingredients bring in original flavoring notes. Undoubtedly, lovers of liqueurs and liqueurs will like liqueur or chokeberry wine.