Chicken and potatoes - only two familiar ingredients, and how many different dishes you can cook! Even if you limit yourself only to the ability to bake them in the oven, varying the method of cutting, sauces, additional vegetable ingredients and seasonings, you can surprise your home and guests daily.
Chicken and potato casserole is one of the fastest and most nutritious dishes, which is suitable not only for a family dinner, but also for a festive table.
Traditional French Meat Recipe
A classic dish of chicken with potatoes in the oven is called French meat, but it's really hard to say whether it really relates to French cuisine. To date, it is somewhat international and is present in almost any European menu, almost without changing. The reason for its attractiveness, perhaps, is that with all the simplicity of the food set, the taste is incredible. Having tried once, you will surely add the recipe to your cookbook.
- Potatoes - 500-600 g
- Chicken Breast - 400 g
- Onion - 2 pcs.
- Sour cream or mayonnaise - 200 ml
- Hard cheese - 300 g
- Garlic cloves - 3 pcs.
- Ground black pepper - 2 tsp.
- Salt - to taste
- Greens - for decoration
- Wash the meat, remove the skin from it, remove the streaks and film, cut into thin (about 2-3 mm) layers, or strips of the same thickness. From this depends on the speed of cooking, and how it will be perceived. Rub each piece with salt and pepper, leave for 10 minutes.
- Peel potatoes, chop thin plates, which should not exceed the thickness of the pieces of meat. They can be left in circles, which will make it possible to lay out a pattern of scales that is so popular in restaurants, or it can be turned into semicircles in order to lay them later on. Potatoes also need to salt and pepper, then add 1 tablespoon to it. mayonnaise or sour cream and mix everything well with your hands.
- Chop the garlic with a knife, pass it through the press, rub the chicken pieces with it. 100 ml of sour cream add to the bowl with meat, mix well, let stand for another 15 minutes. At this time, chop the onion rings, rub the cheese.
- Lubricate the bottom of the form with sour cream or mayonnaise, cover it with a thin layer with chicken pieces, trying to lay them as evenly as possible. Then distribute the onion, and potatoes on it. Then scatter 150 grams of grated cheese, again make the meat layer, onion and potato.
- 100 g of cheese mixed with the remnants of sour cream, cover with this mass of potatoes. Put the form covered with foil and casserole in the oven heated to 180 degrees to an average level, in 30 minutes. remove the foil, increase the temperature to 200 degrees, sprinkle the dish with leftover cheese and hold until a golden brown crust appears.
Greens can be crushed and scattered over the casserole after it is removed from the oven, or you can place it under the last layer of cheese. Professionals advise to use 2 types of cheese for this dish: between layers of soft (eg, mozzarella), and for the crust - hard (Swiss, Dutch, etc.). According to the same recipe, you can cook portioned "islands" at once.
Nourishing casserole in the oven with mushrooms
Professionals assure that if the classic recipe did not cause any questions, any modifications to it will also turn out as it should. Therefore, if you could cook meat in French the first time, supplement it with mushrooms and get an even more nutritious and tasty dish, you will also have no difficulty. And to get a completely new taste, it is worth a little to modify the previous set of products.
- Potatoes - 400 g
- Chicken fillet - 250 g
- Small mushrooms - 200 g
- Carrots - 1 pc.
- Onion - 1 pc.
- Tomato paste - 150 g
- Sour cream - 100 g
- A mixture of ground peppers - 1 tbsp.
- Salt - to taste
- Soft cheese - 150 g
- Wash and cut the potatoes into thin slices, mushrooms, if they have been frozen, thaw at room temperature, pat dry with paper towels and cut into halves. Salt the potatoes and mushrooms, leave for a while.
- Cut the chicken fillet large, mince or scroll in a food processor for 20-30 seconds, so as not to be completely mashed, but only well chopped. Peel and grate the carrots on the coarse side of the grater, chop the onion into half rings.
- Mix chicken fillet, tomato paste and carrots, add ground pepper here, let it brew for 10-15 minutes.
- Rub the potatoes with sour cream, put half in the baking dish, spread the onion and the whole chicken-carrot mass on top. Cover with leftover onions, then potatoes again. Spread the mushrooms on top, sprinkle with grated cheese.
- Bake in the oven heated to 170 degrees for 25 minutes, then hold for another 10 minutes. on the grill mode, if you want to redden the dish a little.
For this potato casserole with chicken, it is recommended to take small and well-shaped mushrooms, which are not crushed by the manufacturer. Otherwise, they will have to be introduced into the inner layer, because in the process of roasting they will soften greatly and lose their attractiveness.
Despite the fact that the chicken and potato casserole is an incredibly simple dish, and it would seem that you don’t even need to study cooking technology, you just need to determine the ratio of elements and the temperature of the oven, there are also nuances that determine the outcome of the culinary idea.
- Potatoes are recommended to be taken from varieties that are well softened, but do not turn into mashed potatoes. Then it will prepare rather quickly, but it will retain its shape, which is especially important if you, for example, lay out the “scales” on the upper layer.
- Chicken meat and mushrooms, you can pre-scald or fry until half cooked. Besides the fact that it will allow them to have a beautiful crust, which is impossible in the case of baking raw product in the middle layer, such a move will allow you to cook all the ingredients at the same time, because potatoes are baked much faster than meat.
- You can also boil the potatoes, but this is true for casseroles, which use ready-made meat, which, again, reduces the time in the oven. And also where there is no need for a clear form: for example, if you want to mash potatoes and mix them with chopped vegetable additives until smooth.
- Despite the fact that in most recipes of such casseroles sour cream or mayonnaise is indicated as a softening component, these are not the only ways to eliminate the dryness of all layers. You can use the milk-egg mass, which produces a more pronounced crust, or you can take any sauce that will be combined with your set of components - the most versatile, of course, is tomato.
In conclusion, I would like to draw your attention to the fact that the fastest and most tender casserole is obtained in a ceramic form with thick walls. Moreover, it is best if a lid is applied to it, which is used in the first 20-25 minutes, after which it can be removed if a beautiful crust is needed. With this technology, there is even no need for sour cream and other fatty sauces, which means that the dish becomes easier and closer to the norms of healthy eating.