Candied citrus fruit is a product that is actively used in cooking. Besides the fact that, by analogy with zest, they give flavor to baking, they can serve as a filling for a roll, cake or pie. And some desserts involve the use of orange or lemon candied fruits as a base. However, it is difficult to get them in the shops, so every hostess needs to know how to make candied citrus fruits at home.
How to make candied orange peels?
The basic method of cooking citrus candied fruit at home is only 2: an express method, which takes only 3-4 hours, and a classic method, requiring up to 48 hours, during which the product will reach its full readiness. In addition, the classical algorithm has many recipes, depending on which orange candied fruits you want to get: whether it will be sweet candied sweets substitutes, or they will have a spicy flavor, and the candied fruits themselves should be put into Christmas gingerbread. Most often hostesses resort to the express method, and that he should pay the most attention.
- Orange peel - 500 g
- Sugar - 450 g
- Citric Acid - Pinch
- Salt - ¼ tsp.
- Water - 9 l
- The whole technology of orange candied fast-cooking can be divided into 2 stages - the main process takes place on the stove, the final - in the oven, and it will be the longest. Initially, a high pan with thin walls is placed on the burner, cold water (3 l) is poured into it, into which skins from oranges are laid. Here, their appearance does not matter. As soon as the water boils, the power of the burner is reduced to half, the pan is covered with a lid. After 10 minutes, orange peel should be dropped on a metal colander and rinsed with cold water. After this, the cooking procedure is repeated - future candied fruits are put into the pan again, and water is poured, which is boiled for 10 minutes, but with salt, and the crusts are again thrown into a colander. Then the procedure is given the third circle, in which salt is also poured into the water in order to finally eradicate the bitterness from the skins.
- As soon as they cool down, they are cut with a knife into thin long strips, the width of which is in the corridor 3-7 mm. Now already in a small saucepan (you can even a ladle), 1.5 st. cold water and pour 450 g of sugar. When the liquid boils, and the sugar granules dissolve, you should move the sliced crusts to the pan, reduce the power of the hotplate, and within 30-40 minutes. monitor the state of the product. At the end of this period, citric acid is poured into the pan. During this time, the skins should be strongly boiled, changing the color and texture: they will become translucent, golden-orange, completely absorb the sugar syrup.
- In fact, the above steps for the rapid method are basic, and it is in this form that the orange candied fruits are used for baking, unless otherwise provided by the recipe. But if you want to turn them into a separate dish, you will need to dry the crusts taken out of the pan on a napkin, roll them in sugar, if not enough sweetness, and spread them on a baking sheet made of parchment. In the oven (65-70 degrees without convection), they should be kept for 2-3 hours, then cooled and used for their intended purpose. Such candied orange candies are especially tasty if they are used for chocolate fondue instead of other fruits.
Tangerine candied fruit
Compared to orange skins, mandarin peels are much thinner and also do not have such a pronounced bitterness, so they work with them using a different technology, although the general algorithm remains the same. Soaking the 3rd day in cold water, constantly changing it, it makes no sense, but it is still necessary to kill the remnants of bitterness. Therefore, tangerine peels are placed in a saucepan with water for 12 hours, after which they are discharged into a colander, and the basic procedure for making sweet candied fruit begins. To make them more interesting, liquor and syrup are added to the recipe.
- Mandarin peels - 500 g
- Cream liqueur - 200 ml
- Drinking water - 300 ml
- Grapefruit syrup - 200 ml
- Sugar - 400 g
- Thin tangerine peels are poured with cream liqueur and infused in it for 2-3 hours, after which they are transferred to cold water and cooked in it for 5-7 minutes. If you are preparing a treat for children, this stage is modified, and the crusts are simply scalded in salted water twice and dumped into a colander. Then you will need to pour cold water (300 ml) into a deep bowl, add syrup and sugar, bring the mixture to a boil, and then give it another 3-5 minutes. to boil over.
- Mandarin peels cut during this period are placed in a bowl with boiling syrup, covered with a lid and languished for 3.5-4 hours. Willingness will be determined by the skin - as soon as it becomes translucent, the bowl is removed from the stove, cooled with the mixture inside it. At the end of the procedure, tangerine candied fruits are dipped in icing sugar and dried in the oven for 25-30 minutes.
See also: Candied apples
Cooking orange or tangerine candied fruits at home takes a lot of time if you follow the classic recipe. For those in a hurry, there are express methods that do not affect the result. The main advantage of home-made citrus candied fruit is not only their availability, but also full naturalness. Try to cook them yourself, and you no longer want to purchase store products.