Cake with the original name "Rotten stump" on the popularity and frequency of preparation can be on a par with "Napoleon" and "Medovik." But in comparison with them, "The Rotten Stump" greatly benefits due to the simplicity of its execution. Add to this an abundance of variations on its recipe, and you can get an infinite number of versions of your favorite dessert.
Cake "Truly stump": a classic recipe and tips
The name “The Truly Stump” perfectly reflects the loose, crumbly structure of the cake in the section. And it is precisely above her that hostesses have to conjure with particular zeal, regardless of whether the cakes or rolls form the basis of it. By the way, in the latter case, such a cake can have a more elegant name - "Labyrinth", due to the fact that inside the cut piece get real intricate moves filled with cream and, occasionally, with fruits and nuts. The traditional recipe for a “rotten stump” involves baking a sponge cake that turns into cakes and using butter cream with raisins and lemon zest to make a layer.
- Chicken eggs - 4 pcs.
- Butter - 150 g
- Sugar - 150 g
- Baking Powder - 8 g
- Flour - 300 g
- Black small raisins - 80 g
- Walnuts - 120 g
- Dried apricots - 100 g
- Cream 33% fat - 300 g
- Sugar powder (for cream) - 4 tbsp. l
- The key point in creating the “Rotten Stump” cake according to the classic recipe is baking the sponge cake. If it turns out fluffy and loose, the cake can be considered successful. But the slightest puncture with the base will lead to the need to bake it again. Therefore, if you are trying to make the “Truly Stump” for the first time, clearly follow the technology.
- Eggs with a pinch of salt are whipped with a whisk and set aside. On the stove, with the help of a water bath, melted butter, which, after bringing to a uniform consistency, needs to be cooled. Raisins and dried apricots are scalded with boiling water of 2-3 p., To save them from the applied protective layer and soften a little. After that, the dried fruits are mixed with melted butter, and eggs are gradually added to this mixture. Flour in the same bowl sifted through a fine sieve, adding portions: it is most convenient to divide the total volume into 3 parts, and pour in 100 g. After each portion, you should gently beat the dough with a mixer at low speed. A baking powder is added to the last part of the flour, which can be replaced with 1 tsp. soda, quenched apple cider vinegar. A thick dough is poured into a greased form with vegetable oil, and the mold is removed into an oven heated to 180 degrees (160 degrees with forced convection). Biscuit should be baked for 30-35 minutes, during which the door of the oven does not open. Willingness to check with a wooden stick: there should be no moisture on it at the puncture.
- Baked biscuit is removed from the mold, cooled and cut across 3 thick cake layers. While it is cooling down, it is necessary to prepare a cream: combine cream and icing sugar in a bowl, and using a mixer at high speed, beat the mass until a strong foam is formed. Cakes are coated with cream, interspersed with raisins and chopped dried apricots, and then glued together in a cake. The surface must also be treated with the remnants of the cream, be sure to touch the sides, and then decorate with chopped walnuts.
Gourmet pastries with jam
The variation of the “Truly Stump”, involving the use of jam as an impregnation, is no longer based on sponge cakes, but on rolls connected in a large circle. The dough here is a little simpler than the classic version, and is prepared in a matter of minutes. Lemon zest, indicated in the list of ingredients, can be replaced with orange zest or even removed from the recipe - its task here is only to add flavor.
- Flour - 800 g
- Sour cream of average fat content - 150 g
- Egg yolks - 3 pcs.
- Sugar powder - 200 g
- Baking Powder - 5 g
- Lemon peel - 2 tbsp. l
- Favorite jam - 300 ml
- Natural yoghurt - 500 ml
- Sugar - 120 g
- Flour is sifted into the bowl in a slide, in the center of which you need to make a hollow - there will be introduced egg yolks and a pinch of salt dropped on them. As the dough is kneaded, powdered sugar is carefully added to it, combined with baking powder and lemon zest. The sour cream whipped in a separate bowl is poured last, and all the components are kneaded into an elastic lump, which should not stick to hands. If it is not dense enough, you can roll it in flour and knead again.
- The dough is divided into 10 parts, each of which is rolled on a wooden board into a cake with a thickness of at least 2 mm. It is not necessary to follow the special flatness of the edges, but it is desirable to make the cake slightly elongated, in the shape of an oval. The selected jam is distributed over its surface (best of all, if there is a sufficient amount of fruit or berries pulp in it), after which the cake is rolled up. When they are all twisted, they are sent to a preheated oven, laid on the parchment, and baked for 25-30 minutes. The temperature for the oven without convection is 175 degrees ..
- When the surface of the rolls acquires a golden hue, they are removed from the oven, cooled and cut into slices 4-5 cm wide. The last stage is filling the round detachable form with these parts of the rolls, and 3-4 tablespoons of oil should be added between each layer. beaten with sugar yogurt. From above, the cake is also necessarily filled with the remains of yoghurt cream (you can also add a little cocoa to it), and put it in the fridge. It usually takes 3-4 hours for the cream to harden, but it is best to “forget” about the cake for 8-10 hours. In the end, all that remains is to decorate it with chocolate chips or ground nuts. If you want to use chocolate icing to decorate a cake, then 30 g of butter and 25 ml of milk or boiled water are used per 100 g of dark chocolate. To heat and mix the components you need in a water bath and medium power burners. And if you want to increase the taste of jam, you can pick up the corresponding fresh berries or fruits and put them on the surface of the dessert.
Cake with dried fruits for the festive table
If the jam is for you - the product is too sweet, but you want to add a fruit note to the cake, you can bake a "rotten cake" with dried fruits and nuts, choosing them to your taste. A standard set here is a bunch of white and black raisins, dried apricots and prunes, but they can be replaced or supplemented with dried cherries, pears, small sweet dried lemons, pineapple slices, etc. Non-standard addition will be the impregnation of liquor and cocoa in the recipe. Biscuit dough may also differ from the traditional in terms of components: for example, it is good to cook it with kefir.
- Chicken eggs - 4 pcs.
- Kefir - 300 ml
- Wheat flour - 225 g
- Baking Powder - 10 g
- Icing sugar (in dough) - 50 g
- Vanillin - ¼ tsp.
- Cocoa - 2 tbsp. l
- Cream liqueur - 50 ml
- Any dried fruit - 400 g
- Filbert - 150 g
- Butter - 200 g
- Icing sugar (on the icing and cream) - 250 g
- Milk - 3 tsp.
- Sour cream non-fat - 300 ml
- Biscuit is kneaded from 4 whipped chicken yolks, kefir poured in on them and powdered sugar, cocoa, and sifted flour with which baking powder is connected. The dough is whipped with a mixer, after which it is quickly transferred into a round shape and sent to a hot oven. Within 30 min its door can not be opened so that the biscuit does not fall down. After a time, if a golden brown crust appears on its surface, you can check it for readiness with a thin stick. The baked biscuit is allowed to cool, after it is divided into 4 cakes, each of which is processed with liquor and left for 15-20 minutes to soak.
- During this time, you need to prepare the icing, cream and filling. Dried fruits are boiled and crushed with a knife, hazelnuts grind in a meat grinder. Sour cream is whipped with 50 g of powdered sugar, combined with dried fruit, and the resulting mass is distributed between the cake layers, which are stacked on top of each other. Butter is heated in a water bath, mixed with 200 g of powdered sugar and milk, cooled slightly, and with the help of a pastry spatula or a large flat knife this cake is coated with icing not only from the top, but also from the sides. In the final, it is sprinkled with crushed hazelnuts: you can spread the nuts around the edge of the surface, forming a circle, or you can center them in the center and stretch them slightly to the periphery.
The “Truly stump” cake, besides the classic recipe, has many variations, the main ones of which were analyzed above. You can change them at your discretion, not forgetting to keep only the biscuit base or the crispy design of the rolls. Play with the design and content, creating personal culinary masterpieces that your children and grandchildren will praise one day as an author's recipe.