Those who have ever tried a real Caesar salad will never forget the delicious taste of this dish. Today it is cooked with chicken meat, turkey, artichokes, and mushroom and fish options. We will share with you the secrets by which you can cook a real Caesar salad with shrimps. The recipe may not be one - choose to your taste!
A bit of history
Today Caesar salad is a national American dish. It was first cooked by an Italian émigré chef who lived in 1924 in the Mexican border town of Tijuana, a favorite place during prohibition in the United States.
Once, on a significant date - US Independence Day - a surging crowd of Americans demanded an alcoholic and tasty snack. And if there were no problems with the first one, then with the second one there was a complete failure, since the stocks of products ran out and there was nowhere to replenish them. But the young Italian cook Caesar Cardini showed ingenuity and prepared a light snack from what was on hand: Parmesan cheese, lettuce leaves, olive oil, garlic, white croutons, eggs and his signature sauce, the secret of which was passed on to the Cardini family from the generation in a generation.
In the classic version, the salad turns out to be very light, therefore for greater satiety and caloric content additional ingredients are often added to it. Especially popular are shrimps. The combination of sauce and seafood gives the dish a very piquant, unforgettable taste and chic appearance.
Caesar salad with shrimps: a recipe with photos
To make a truly festive snack, use a large variety of shrimp and small cherry tomatoes for decoration. And the sauce can be flavored with your favorite herbs. Especially good in this dish basil.
- 600 g of seafood;
- 100 grams of white bread;
- 200 grams of cheese;
- 150 g of lettuce leaves.
- 0.5 tsp. (not more) Worcestershire sauce;
- 2 eggs;
- 2 cloves of garlic;
- 120 ml of olive oil;
- ½ lemon;
if you like tarragon and oregano, feel free to add them to the main ingredients of the sauce.
- First prepare the croutons. Cut bread slices from bread slices, cut crumb into proportional small cubes.
- For more flavor, it is advisable to use fragrant olive oil: finely chop the garlic, put it in a bottle of oil and insist for 5 days (pieces of vegetable are then removed). But you can also use a faster method: throw in a hot oil a couple of cloves of garlic, passed through a press, fry quickly, remove and immediately lay out the pieces of bread for roasting.
- Prepare dressing for dressing. Eggs boil hard boiled. Mash the yolks and, while you do, start adding lemon juice, then garlic, then butter and, finally, Worcester sauce. Be careful, do not add it more than indicated, otherwise you will spoil the taste of the whole dish. Adding ingredients, do not stop to continue all this intensively mixed.
- Boil or fry the shrimp.
- Spread the salad in layers in the following sequence: randomly torn lettuce leaves (not cut with a knife, namely, crushed with your hands: this is how the greens keep juiciness), sauce, shrimps, croutons, cheese.
The classic recipe for royal snacks
Snacks will surprise you with their savory taste, ease of preparation and may become your specialty.
- 100 g of lettuce leaves;
- 50 grams of cheese;
- 300 g shrimp;
- 100 g loaf;
- 100 ml of olive oil;
- 2 eggs;
- 2 garlic cloves;
- 2 tbsp. l lemon juice;
- mustard (on the tip of a knife);
for greater richness of taste, you can add aromatic Provencal herbs or your favorite salad spices.
- First, prepare the croutons. The secret is that they must be crispy and have a light aroma of olive oil. To do this, place the loaf cut in neat cubes on a baking sheet, sprinkle over the olive oil and dry in the oven.
- Boil or fry the shrimp. If you like the second option of their preparation, do not forget to pickle seafood. The easiest and fastest marinade is lemon juice, olive oil and garlic.
- Cook the sauce. Boil eggs in boiling water (2 minutes). While they are hot, peel and remove the yolks. Add mustard, salt, citrus juice. Stir the ingredients vigorously all the time.
- When the mass becomes homogeneous, start slowly pouring in olive oil and continue stirring everything just as intensively. If this is not done, the sauce may exfoliate.
- Cut the garlic cloves in two and rub the salad plate well with them.
- Next, alternating the finished ingredients, form the appetizer itself: put coarsely torn leaves, sauce on top, then shrimps, again sauce, white croutons and cheese. Slices of tomatoes, use for additional decoration.
Delicious salad in a matter of minutes
If you have absolutely no time to prepare a special sauce for the salad, you can buy a ready-made dressing and quickly prepare a light, but surprisingly tasty snack.
- 300 g boiled shrimp;
- 50 grams of cheese;
- salad leaves;
- 200 grams of white bread;
- 3 cloves of garlic;
- 0.5 tsp. mustard;
- 1/4 lemon juice;
- 150 ml of olive oil;
- some cherry tomatoes to decorate the dish,
- Provencal herbs, salt.
- First make crispy croutons. Cut the loaf into cubes, dry in the oven and sprinkle them with a mixture of aromatic Provencal herbs.
- In olive oil, add the garlic passed through the press.
- In mayonnaise add mustard, lemon juice. With constant whipping, slowly pour in the oil with garlic, so that the dressing gets a uniform consistency.
- Salad leaves tear hands and lay on a plate, pour the cooked sauce.
- Put the next layer of shrimp and cherry tomatoes and pour over the sauce again. Top with croutons and sprinkle them with cheese.
4 secrets of this "Caesar"
- The main highlight of the dish is the family secret of the author, which consists in a special method of cooking eggs for refueling. The technology of preparation is as follows: a large amount of water is brought to a boil, turn off the heat and put eggs into boiling water. Before that, they are kept at room temperature for at least 4 hours. In boiling water, eggs are left exactly for 60 seconds, no more, no less. Remove, cool 15 minutes and take out the yolk, which only with this preparation has a special texture and taste.
- For a more savory taste of shrimp, pre-marinated for half an hour in a mixture of sesame or olive oil, lemon juice and salt, fry for 2-3 minutes.
- It is known that lettuce leaves wilt very quickly. To keep them strong and crispy, they are kept in cold water for at least 1 hour.
- Caesar salad according to the original recipe can never be cooked for the future. Croutons and lettuce leaves should be crispy, and shrimps should be warm, so they are fried just before serving the dish to the table.
Caesar Salad - a dish known all over the world today - was named the Parisian gourmet society, who know a lot about delicious dishes, the best recipe for American cuisine in 1953. It should be added that only units of culinary masterpieces are honored with such honor. And, you see, it is very pleasant that today to prepare such a famous salad and enjoy its amazing taste under the power of each hostess.